What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 - Rabbitohs vs Storm: Friday 31st March 8pm @Accor Stadium

truthslayer

Juniors
Agree with most things. Comparing lachie to Munster though Isn’t one of them. Munster is the Australian 5/8. He’s dominanted the nrl for 6 years. Lachie was poor. But even on his best day Munster still outplays him.
I agree but he came with hype and is not living up to that, his slowness is a problem , he has little options to his game.

callmack1

Staff member
I'm really not a happy chappy this morning.

Errors prove costly as Rabbitohs denied by Storm: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/31/errors-prove-costly-as-rabbitohs-denied-by-storm/

Press Conference - Round 5: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/31/nrl-press-conference-rabbitohs-v-storm---round-5-2023/

JD spoke very well again. I'm glad he was straight up and honest about our effort and intensity, that's what I want to hear. However, I don't agree when he said, 'it's not about our attack.' yea, our defence wasn't up to the usual standard but for me, it was our inability to take chances and score points that cost us that one. Our attack is in all sorts.

Grant shines as Storm answer Bellamy's challenge, Latrell's Souths leave run too late - Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/7c1dd0763941d7e004a1c24fb4ab7b0f

'You could feel it' - Demetriou's shock admission as frustrated Souths coach calls out glaring problem: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/6fedd38f67590c20b65d9f27a96c1226

Eric the great

Juniors
I reckon young Hawkins offers more than lachie lachie stands too flat close to the line and the opposition gets to him to easy last night it was the Melbourne centre getting him on the last play the other week was the same with suali getting him on the last play last year when we were terrible early in the season we blamed it on not having latrell we have no excuses at the moment just a few players who don’t seem to play for the jumper no pressure coming from lower grades we are in for a very long April the sides that we have played under strength will be back to full strength by the time we play them again in April we could turn after 10 rounds maybe with 3 wins and 7 losses

Thumper

Juniors
I agree but he came with hype and is not living up to that, his slowness is a problem , he has little options to his game.
It took Reynolds at least 6 years to do anything in attack for south’s. Lachie is still learning. He’s making his tackles. The effort is there. He just needs more game time, and needs to practice his passing.

Eric the great

Juniors
I might eat my words in five or six years when lachie might come good but for now he needs to quickly learn his trade because putting bombs up to tall opposition wingers all game is not the answer he’s stands way too shallow watch Cleary and Reynolds close to the line they take a step back and make defences come to them but in saying that he is not our only problem we didn’t introduce any fresh blood in the off season and it’s biting us big time no pressure on the players and they are playing to it knowing they won’t be shaking hand with the reserve grade coach AJ is prime example at the moment a tackling bag could step around him and Thompson leaves a channel down the wing wider than the freeway for opposition to run down poor graham spends his whole game defending cause opposition know it

handyman2190

Bench
Thompson is a good reserve grade winger, makes yards in traffic,but! He is pedestrian slow, a faster player would have scored the try.
AJ is playing injured and at half speed, he should have stopped that try and scored the bombed 1,fit he would have gone for the corner and scored instead he tried to go through.
Our defence was diabolical, imagine letting them make 80m in 1 set of 6,defence wins games,and while they push us forward instead of us pushing them back we got no chance. Koala was a shadow, im sure he was carrying injury.
Injuries aside,these players are resting on their laurels,no presure from the nsw side, no recruits shows a bad eg to the players who think they are the best,JD needs to do a belamy and blast the f**k out of them. This storm side is depleted losing 3 main forwards,we made eisehuff look like a champion and walsh couldnt be put down.
We didnt turn up and we werent interested,a major disappointment,lucky to make the 8 i think

Eric the great

Juniors
If you watch other teams the fullbacks get involved early not ours last week against manly it took him 13 minutes to have his first hit up then I think it was after 30 minutes for his second last night was no different in the first half doesn’t like fresh defenders only starts playing when defences are tired we have a back three that are very week don’t get our return sets on the front foot and when ball is put into the air against them how confident do you feel not

Eric the great

Juniors
This is the last thing I’ll say about our loss last night wish we would play Sunday afternoons because it just wrecks your whole weekend when they get beat on a Thursday or friday

Pauly1

Juniors
It took Reynolds at least 6 years to do anything in attack for south’s. Lachie is still learning. He’s making his tackles. The effort is there. He just needs more game time, and needs to practice his passing.
let him learn in NSW cup.
Hawkins , its time to step up

Thumper

Juniors
Lachie wouldn’t dominate cup he can’t dominate in one of the supposed heavy weights he’s done one memorable thing field goal
30 games of first grade. He deserves a chance to play into the role. Like I said it took Reynolds 150 games to put his stamp on the position. Lachie had an off night. He wasn’t alone. The bloke we are paying all the money to was worse. Not once when south’s ran a play was latrell sweeping around from the back creating the extra man. No effort from him besides the last 20 minutes when he realised he’d done f**k all. To Blame that loss solely on Lachie is unfair.

Eric the great

Juniors
I’m not blaming it solely on Lachie I think he should be starting to pick it up he seemed to have plateaued I’m just saying put some pressure on these players so they know it’s not a done deal that they get picked each week and your right about the other bloke as I said he speaks like tarzan and plays like jane

callmack1

Staff member
Just watched the replay, so here is my full report,

Attack

Diabolical. I really don't know what's happened. We were one of the best attacking teams in the comp last year, but in 2023, it seems to have all gone to shit. No real new combinations or anything, it's just gone to shit. That was hugely evident last night. We got so many friggin opportunities but just looked really poor, barely looked like scoring. With the exception of the two tries we did score and the odd crisp play, the rest of the time attacking was bog average. Slow, lethargic and clunky. It was like the boys had never played with each other. Passes going to ground, players dying with the ball, errors at crucial times attacking their line. Where the hell has our attack gone? Where has the 'lethal left' gone? Jeez it was disappointing.

I understand what JD was trying to say in the press conference, but I don't fully agree with him when he said, "it's not about our attack." Because for me, our attack is the main reason we lost. We finally sorted our defence out in the last half hour of the game and had a huge territorial advantage for that period. The stats were all dominant in our favor. The Storm were barely able to get out of their half yet, we barely fired a genuine shot at them that looked dangerous. They were wilting and there to be put away, but the attack couldn't fire, and we didn't get it done. So, I get what JD was trying to say but I think we lost this one, for the most part, because of our inability to score points.

Defence

Despite this, that's not to say that our 'D' was good because it was far from it in the first 50 minutes. The worst we've defended so far this year in fact. you could see it right from the opening set that the boys were off. No physicality, no heart, no determination and desire. There was pretty much zero line speed for much of the game and Melbourne just rolled on through. Our first contact was poor, and we struggled to commit and handle them. i don't know what it was, they just looked way off. Not there physically.

A couple of really poor defensive efforts for their tries which I'll get into when I do my player-by-player stuff, particularly Warbrick's try. That was just weak. It was simply piss poor defence for the first 50 minutes.

However, we really did turn this around and lift for the last half hour. Certainly lifted intensity and we were defending as we should be. Because of this, we had the Storm trapped for the best part of 30 minutes. They were struggling to get out of their own end, barely had a line break, rarely had a tackle in our half and I think they hardly got any opportunities in our red zone this whole period. I did really like to see that and if our attack wasn't so shit, we probably would have came back and put them away.

But the question needs to be asked, why weren't we that intense from the start? may have never dropped behind in the first place.

Player-by-player

Let me just start by saying there is going to be a fair few negative comments from me in regard to many of our boys. Don't take this the wrong way and see it as me 'turning on the boys' or anything like that. Love all these blokes and this team but I am just bitterly disappointed and angry. We need to be honest about the team and individual's performances just as the entire organisation should be because it's the only way we'll get better.

L.Mitchell: Love him, he's one of my favourites ever but I'm coming for him and he deserves it. I don't think I'm the only one that's coming for him. I'm sick of it. He talks a big game in the media, all, "I want to be the best, I want to win a Dally M" and all that crap. Dally M my f**king ass. Last night Trell was lazy, disinterested and his body language stunk. Barely, and I mean barely sited in the first half when we really needed him. It wasn't until 20 minutes to go that he decided to play. He was barely injecting himself into the attack, didn't come in looking for the ball at all and his kick returns were just lazy. Stopping at times when he got the ball and then just ambling into the defence. It was piss poor. Just lazy. On the Storm's first try, he was there to defuse the situation and could have made an effort to get to the ball once Lachie lost it but he just watched on as King wanted it more and scored. Poor effort. Again, when Warbrick scored, Trell should be tracking the ball across as the last line of defence as all fullbacks do. The ball movement from the Storm was that slow he could have easily been in the frame but was he? No. Trell is seen again, being lazy, and just walking near the posts when Warbrick scores. Pathetic effort. Now, he did come alive in the last 20 minutes with some big runs and some really good plays, particularly for Stretch to score and put us back in the game. That was a great play where he shaped to pass long, confused Coates, and then delivered the pass which gave Stretch enough space to slice through. He ended up with 172 meters off 21 runs which shows you just how much he did at the end of the game. But the thing is, he's done this for five weeks in a row now. Sat back, been lazy and been a passenger until the end of the game when sometimes, it's been too late. It's not good enough and I'm sick of it. If he had any sort of work rate, he'd be absolutely unstoppable, but he doesn't seem to want to put in the work. He just puts in the work with his mouth off the field. So disappointed in him and JD needs to put a rocket up his ass. Trell needs to realise the influence he has on this side and do his best; we need him now more than ever. Sorry to sound like I'm dissing him, I don't mean to attack him or anything but it's just pissing me off.

Johnston: Not great. had some really strong carries and kick returns but that's about it for the good stuff that AJ did. Had a shocker the rest of the game. That effort to tackle Warbrick, or should I say non-effort, when he scored was piss weak. Schoolboy stuff. it was a simple one-on-one that should be made at this level but AJ wasn't up to it. Inexcusable. Didn't get a lot of genuine opportunites in attack to be fair, but the one time he does and has a chance to score, he decides to run straight into Meaney, knock himself out, lose the ball and potentially throw away a huge chance at winning. Why didn't he go acrobatic like he normally does and go for the corner? There was still space there. Watching the replay, I'm certain he would have scored. Again, inexcusable.

Tass: I'd say Tassy was okay. Really good with the shit work coming out of trouble as he had some great hit ups. 146 meters off 17 runs is great. Great work rate. However, he wasn't without fault. When Warbrick scored, yea, AJ should have made the tackle first up, but even after his miss, Tassy had a shot at him that he should have made but his attempt was just as piss weak as AJ's. It's also been well talked about, but I think he's a big reason why our left edge attack isn't as lethal as it used to be. He's stifling it with his inability to pass. I counted three times throughout this game that he could have passed to AJ and he would have been at the very least, a chance to score. But Tassy doesn't seem to want to do it and it kills the play. We know he is capable of those tough, skillful, quick hands passes because he did it last year and even did it once in the second half of this one but he dies with the ball more often than not. Sort it out Tassy.

Graham: Not his finest night, he was just off. Still made 141 meters off 18 carries which is pretty big and scored a try which helped put us in the contest late but I don't know, he just seemed off. A lot less intense and physical than he normally is. Unnecessarily caused Lachie to lose the ball, leading to King's try, had some poor reads in defence and he made a couple of crucial errors attacking the line which we don't usually see him do.

Thompson: Izaac was the standout in an underperforming backline. He was fantastic!! It was most notably his carries which were the best, probably the strongest we've seen him so far this Season. He looked very hard to handle and ran straight over the top of a few Melbourne defenders. That one on Munster off a kick return was awesome! He was also pretty safe under the high ball and tried his best to score that last ditch try. In terms of defence, he wasn't bad but did look slow in cover. I'm not going to blame Munster's try on Izaac off that long range break, there wasn't much more he could do. It was just a case of our defence being heavily compressed, we failed to stop the offload in the middle and then they stripped us for numbers. So, I'd say this is one of the better games of Izaac's career so far.

Walker: Wasn't bad, he tried really hard but just had no one go with him. His try was great as he pushed up off Murray's shoulder on the half break, took a difficult pass, and plunged over. That was a great play. Otherwise, he probed all night and didn't do a lot wrong personally. As I said, he tried hard but was getting somewhat let down by teammates. The one poor part of Cody's game last night was his kicking. It was very one-dimensional with those lollipop kicks, not threatening at all. There was also no hint of a short kicking game from Cody.

Ilias: Poor night. Really poor actually. really struggled in attack. I think he was standing a bit too flat and allowed himself less time. The Storm's defence was consistently rushing up on him because of that. And as a result of that, he got spooked and came up with some poor plays. There was probably about four of five times a pass of his went to ground and killed all our momentum. He also died with the ball a few times. However, I will give him credit for the hand he played in both our tries, especially the first. That was a great pass to put Murray through a half-hole. Along with Cody though, his kicking game was also very poor and one dimensional.

callmack1

Staff member
Suluka-Fifita: Weird game for him. He actually looked really strong to start and was performing well. Some really great carries and a lot of them as he made 70 meters in his first stint. However, after that, he didn't come back on. There was no report of an injury. Just really strange because he looked like one of our better forwards.

Cook: I've seen some say he had a good game but sorry, I don't agree at all. Yea, he had a couple of great darts out of dummy half, yea, he tackled his ass off but aside from that, he wasn't great. I'm convinced he's another reason why our attack is faltering and it's because of his poor service. He either hesitates and burns key milliseconds which kills the play or goes for silly crash balls. But the one that really killed our attack last night I noticed was not passing off the deck. So often last night attacking the line, Cooky would pick the ball up and then pass. This was cutting down the time of Cam, Cody and Lachy. It was infuriating to watch. We know it's not hard to pass straight off the deck.

Burgess: Huge praise for Tommy! On such a shitty, disappointing night, he was the real stand-out. Did absolutely everything he could and it's a real shame the rest of the side didn't go with him. Just played with so much energy and enthusiasm as he really tried to set the tone for us. Almost every run he had was impactful. 23 carries for 218 meters which is simply outstanding. Aside from his barnstorming carries, his defence was aggressive too, he came up with a big shot late in the game to force and error and he's always pushing up in support. Wish someone like Trell would do that. Well done Tommy! My man of the match.

Koloamatangi: After such a great game last week, he was very disappointing in this one. Maybe that game against Manly took a lot out of him, I don't know. He still made 126 meters which isn't bad, but he just seemed really flat, and his performance was barely noticeable. Not good enough.

Host: Not too much to write home about but I am pleased to say I think he has built on last week and improved. He was very solid last night, did his job. But just like DSF, didn't come back on later after he came off? Strange.

Murray: He was okay, but I'd say just okay. You know it's a poor team performance when even your skipper has a bit of an off night. I'm not saying he was bad, still tried hard, got through so much work as he always does, ran for 151 meters, and made an amazing 45 tackles with none missed and none ineffective. That's not to mention his incredible try assist for Cody! But he just did some silly stuff. A few poor passes, and that penalty for passing off the ground was just a brain explosion that killed all our momentum.

Cartwright: Not much to say but solid, did his job.

Chee Kam: As above, I guess.

Moale: I've been critical of him in recent weeks as you'd all know but I was glad to see him bounce back well last night. Came on and made a real impact. His carries were strong, he didn't get folded like he has been lately and boy, oh boy, what about that hit on Macdonald?? One of the hits of the year!

Sele: A welcome return. He was really good. Great energy off the bench and he looked so hard to put down. He'd have one of the best leg drives of any forward in the comp, love the way he fights for every meter.

Ughhhhhh. Feels a bit better to write this and get some stuff off my chest but I'm still so angry and disappointed. Not gonna lie, this loss has hit me pretty hard because I really expected us to win, and we really needed it. Shouldn't be losing to that Storm side with the guys they have out.

Just a really poor night, jeez we have a lot to work on. It's so frustrating because I still genuinely believe that if we turn up and get our game right, we'll be one of the hardest teams in the comp to beat but we just don't seem to be able to do it at the moment. Far too inconsistent and it's not good enough.

This is supposed to be a year we have a real shot (and I still think it can be), but to do that, you have to make top four. Losing games like this and the Roosters game, that we really should be winning, means that is less likely to happen.

Moving forward, the coaching staff and players need to turn this game into a blessing in disguise. Ensure that this is the low point in our Season, and we never play that badly again.

I'm keeping the faith but as I said, boy do we have some work to do.

callmack1

Staff member
Key Takeaways from Rabbitohs vs Storm: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/31/key-takeaways-from-rabbitohs-vs-storm/

Full team and player stats can be found here: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/draw/nrl-premiership/2023/round-5-rabbitohs-v-storm/

Demetriou's big challenge to Latrell as worrying Souths trend emerges: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a0930103e1b1417bff0ec77e67b82d88

It is good to hear JD come out and publicly challenge Latrell. He needs a rocket up him so I hope this does it. Hopefully they'll be having more conversations in private too.

Steenson123

Juniors
Several pertinent comments were made on ABC Radio during the broadcast and Luke Lewis was very aggressive in his statements. First, it was stated that Mithcell has far less production than any other leading FB. Compare Mitchell to say Edwards Turbo T or Tedesco its not even close. They regularly run the rock for over 200 meters. Take it down the middle when forwards are knackered. Defuse almost all high kicks and defend resolutely. Mitchell does little of these things only and only sporadically. Lewis was very damming about Mitchell's lack of effort and he wondered if the man was playing injured because his lack of influence was evident.
The second key point they made was that SSFC has the second worst completion rate behind only Balmain [or whatever they became]. That is far too many turnovers and these kill teams. The amount of times Walker Murray and Ilias pass sans even looking or glancing at teammates is alarming. Often the ball gets picked or falls along the ground. Linked to turnovers is the POOR KICKING game. Walker's kicks are terrible they pressure his OWN side more than opponents. If Ilias is the starting half then HE needs to develop a pressure kicking game only use Walker or Cook if Ilias is trapped.
These are mostly problems that only a smart COACH can solve. Demetriou to his credit has won two playoff games by convincing margins as a rookie HC so the ability is there. But now its getting desperate. The side needs to go 3-2 in its next 5 games which include the nemesis sides again. It however can be done. Its up to the key players to do more and for the entire squad to play with an edge. The severe Schedule was likely designed by Easts and Politis it has been one of the most brutal Schedules I have ever seen in any code you can mention!! And to have any shot at going 3-2, getting rid of Chee-Kam and Jed C is a must. Neither are first grade standard especially as forwards.

Steenson123

Juniors
I wo
Key Takeaways from Rabbitohs vs Storm: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/31/key-takeaways-from-rabbitohs-vs-storm/

Full team and player stats can be found here: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/draw/nrl-premiership/2023/round-5-rabbitohs-v-storm/

Demetriou's big challenge to Latrell as worrying Souths trend emerges: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a0930103e1b1417bff0ec77e67b82d88

It is good to hear JD come out and publicly challenge Latrell. He needs a rocket up him so I hope this does it. Hopefully they'll be having more conversations in private too.
I would move Mitchell back to centre. Its where he has been dominante for Easts and for Fittler. Play Tass or Taaffe back at FB. Things are becoming desperate hence changes are required. Cannot keep the flat offense averaging 12.5 ppg in the last 4 going. That's not even going to beat St George or Balmain.