What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

gUt

Coach
No idea but there’s a bigger world than Australia mate.

Actually getting out of the bubble is nice for people. I recall Sonny Bill Williams saying that even though he went into debt moving to Toulon that it was nice to live somewhere for a period where nobody knew who he was.

So the pitch should be 'play Rugby, you get paid to do f**k all and you'll be completely anonymous!'

Wb1234

Referee

Actually getting out of the bubble is nice for people. I recall Sonny Bill Williams saying that even though he went into debt moving to Toulon that it was nice to live somewhere for a period where nobody knew who he was.
Sbw was getting paid double what he was getting in league

does debt have a different meaning in your country than everywhere else

taste2taste

Juniors

Sonny said it best, I'm paraphrasing" play league and you're intensely famous in Australia, can't even get a coffee, play union and you're semi famous in rugby countries, you can easily walk down the street

BODISGOD

Bench
Plenty of people hate the travel as love it.
Mat Rogers cited the travel as the main reason he returned to league.
Haas missed the RLWC because he didn't want to be away from his family.
Yeo said most of the Kangaroos were counting down the days until they could return home.

But then there are players like Maloney who have been playing almost for free in to stay in France.
Yes not everyone likes travel.

Some are closed minded and just like home so will never leave. Some just get sick of it over time- not unusual for someone like Rogers to grow weary of it over time. It is also not surprising that after 6 weeks in hotels that you want to get home though I’m sure the fact that most of the RLWC was played in grim north of England was a factor there. I’m sure the 2025 competition in France will be far more appealing.

There’s a distinction though of course between normal business travel and living somewhere else.

Arguing that getting the chance to work and travel isn’t appealing to many is silly.

taste2taste

Juniors
Rugby is dying even in England. It's a shit sport with limited appeal and it's going nowhere fast.
A couple of Rugby clubs have gone broke and thier domestic comp is having financial problems but rugby will never die in the south of England.

BODISGOD

Bench
Sonny said it best, I'm paraphrasing" play league and you're intensely famous in Australia, can't even get a coffee, play union and you're semi famous in rugby countries, you can easily walk down the street
You don’t think SBW was famous in New Zealand?

Wb1234

Referee
Yes not everyone likes travel.

Some are closed minded and just like home so will never leave. Some just get sick of it over time- not unusual for someone like Rogers to grow weary of it over time. It is also not surprising that after 6 weeks in hotels that you want to get home though I’m sure the fact that most of the RLWC was played in grim north of England was a factor there. I’m sure the 2025 competition in France will be far more appealing.

There’s a distinction though of course between normal business travel and living somewhere else.

Arguing that getting the chance to work and travel isn’t appealing to many is silly.
Yeh places like bath Bristol and Newcastle are sure to attract such people

failing that there’s Ireland Scotland or wales

I would say Worcester too but they went broke

BODISGOD

Bench
So the pitch should be 'play Rugby, you get paid to do f**k all and you'll be completely anonymous!'
Sonny Bill Williams became far more famous after he played for the All Blacks. That helped drive Toulon to offer him nearly €750k more a season than he was previously gotten when he was there.

He would have been well known leaving Toulon there but a star coming back. It’s a bad example in star terms as it is the kind of place that’ll you’ll be a star for playing rugby.

He would have enjoyed a quiet life playing rugby in Japan and League in Toronto for sure.

BODISGOD

Bench
Sorry , thought we were talking about being world famous playing rugby ? Being recognised in NZ doesn't count as being a global star:D
But what was the point you were making on Sydney then? Yeah we get it, you’re a big deal there. He was too in NZ.

BODISGOD

Bench
Top 14 won't be far behind, that comp is run on a totally unstainable business model.
Not really. It generates far more cash and a lot of the subsidies are from local firms like in Japan.

It would be great if it did though as we need to recalibrate salaries down.

Wb1234

Referee
Sonny Bill Williams became far more famous after he played for the All Blacks. That helped drive Toulon to offer him nearly €750k more a season than he was previously gotten when he was there.

He would have been well known leaving Toulon there but a star coming back. It’s a bad example in star terms as it is the kind of place that’ll you’ll be a star for playing rugby.

He would have enjoyed a quiet life playing rugby in Japan and League in Toronto for sure.
Uh Toronto were selling out some of their games in the championship

had covid not struck all their super league games wouldve sod out

and it appears the popularity of union in France isn’t so good

Top 14 won't be far behind, that comp is run on a totally unstainable business model.
yeh that’s the thing about France its reliant upon a rich sugar daddy to keep it going.

the nrl is paying its players from recurring income the game generates

taste2taste

Juniors
But what was the point you were making on Sydney then? Yeah we get it, you’re a big deal there. He was too in NZ.
I wasn't making any piont, simply saying that the poster boy of code switching enjoyed being semi famous playing union rather than the fish bowl of living in Sydney playing nrl...the poor bloke couldn't even get a root in a public cubical without being photographed

Wb1234

Referee
I wasn't making any piont, simply saying that the poster boy of code switching enjoyed being semi famous playing union rather than the fish bowl of living in Sydney playing nrl...the poor bloke couldn't even get a root in a public cubical without being photographed
Hahahaa excellent

get a lowie at the cloey