What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Annual Team of the Decade

pantherz9103

First Grade
Since decades became popularised by the media as the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's that whole decade beginning at 1 and going through to 10 argument is irrelevant. We now follow decades by what 'nickname' they are given. So clearly 2000 couldn't be part of the 90's, 1990 wasn't in the 80's etc.

Anyways agree with the team of the decade except for the inclusion of Brent Tate on the wing. Matt Sing should've been picked ahead Popeye tbh.

Also how does Gallen make the team of 2009? didn't exactly help Sharks or NSW to many wins and didn't exactly come close in the Fair Play stakes either. Must of have been a barren year for locks.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I have more of an issue that Tallis was not the 2nd rower than Hazem. I would actually replace Tate who played the majority of the decade at centre, with Sing on the wing.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
No other winger deserved to be named on the wing over Hazem. END OF STORY. All the disillusioned debaters can continue to carry on with silly comments like he's only a goal kicker. That's why he has the club record for the most tries by a Bulldog in history, right? He had some of the best defence we've seen from a winger and don't forget the fact that he got his chance in Origin and put in a performance worthy of being man of the match.

Continue to debate, though. I'm having a good old laugh.

Doug2234

First Grade
No other winger deserved to be named on the wing over Hazem. END OF STORY. All the disillusioned debaters can continue to carry on with silly comments like he's only a goal kicker. That's why he has the club record for the most tries by a Bulldog in history, right? He had some of the best defence we've seen from a winger and don't forget the fact that he got his chance in Origin and put in a performance worthy of being man of the match.

Continue to debate, though. I'm having a good old laugh.

A Bulldog supporter sticks up for Hazam. Must be correct then!

I would've gone
1. Minichiello
2. Blacklock
3. Gasnier
4. Inglis
5. Tahu
6. Fittler
7. Johns
8. Webcke
9. Buderus
10. Civonaceva
11. Tallis
12. Kennedy
13. Menzies

****Apologies to our Qld fans, I just couldn't leave out Mini or Freddy, so thus I had no room for Locky.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol:

Jealousy truly is a curse. The team won't change due to a group of keyboard heroes on LU, sorry.

Big Pete

Referee
I would've gone
1. Minichiello
2. Blacklock
3. Gasnier
4. Inglis
5. Tahu
6. Fittler
7. Johns
8. Webcke
9. Buderus
10. Civonaceva
11. Tallis
12. Kennedy
13. Menzies

****Apologies to our Qld fans, I just couldn't leave out Mini or Freddy, so thus I had no room for Locky.

Then take out Menzies, slip Fittler into lock and we'll call it even.

You simply cannot leave Lockyer out of the team of the decade.

Then take out Menzies, slip Fittler into lock and we'll call it even.

You simply cannot leave Lockyer out of the team of the decade.

Freddy didn't play much lock this decade, plus, he led his side to 4 grand finals in 5 years. That's a pretty big accomplishment. The only way I could fit locky in would be at fullback, shifting Mini to the wing and getting rid of Tahu.

pantherz9103

First Grade
I've got no love for the Broncos or QLD but I'm surprised Johns was player of the decade ahead of Lockyer. Johns starred in 2001 and had some great form in other seasons like 2005 with NSW and early in 2006 with Newcastle but Lockyer surely was statistically better in the 2000's and has captained Australia for something like 6 years. I would've gone with Lockyer as player of the decade ahead of Johns. Johns would be player of the decade if it was 1996-2005.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skill wise, in the last decade, Matt King shat all over Matt Sing in every possible way.

Israel Folau was better than El Masri, Tate, Sing and King.

His omission is the most ridiculous, especially given they made room for Fittler and Menzies who's best years were way behind them.

skeepe

Immortal
Ben Kennedy and Gorden Tallis are really hard done by in that team of the decade.

Nathan Hindmarsh was no better than average all decade yet he makes both teams, I honestly can't understand how people think this overrated hack is actually a good player. It's, quite frankly, astounding.

Oh and did I just see Timmah say Luke Patten was one of the best fullbacks of his time?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Off the top of my head....

Darren Lockyer
Anthony Minichiello
Billy Slater
Clinton Schifcofske
Brett Hodgson
Brent Webb
Matt Bowen
David Peachey
Karmichael Hunt
Rhys Wesser
Jarryd Hayne
Brett Mullins
Robbie Ross
Josh Dugan
Wade McKinnon
Luke Burt

are all better fullbacks than Patten. And that's just off the top of my head.