What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Has trouble reading defence at times too.

On the bench for me too. So at $300k given May and a few others can do the same. I can't see us matching the offer

I think May can (and does) cover more positions than Peachey too. So being realistic this rumour probably has legs. May (like Cleary) has come on quicker than many at the club would have expected too. Taken to NRL like a duck to water.

franklin2323

Immortal
When has that stopped any player from any club. We could probably make a top 30 of players who've left clubs mid contract in the last few years.

Titans get a fine and Contract won't be approved. We need to release him or approve him to talk to other clubs. That would be for 2018 not 2019 in that case. Not saying it won't happen just not as reported so soon

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Titans get a fine and Contract won't be approved. We need to release him or approve him to talk to other clubs. That would be for 2018 not 2019 in that case. Not saying it won't happen just not as reported so soon

I suspect we have given him permission to look around. Put aside the unconfirmed rumour of him wanting out for the moment.
I think with Edwards and May being re-signed and hopefully Cleary later on we may struggle to retain players like Peachey for 2020 and beyond. Maybe its in his best interests so the management have given him permission to get a better deal for himself.
Just a thought.

franklin2323

Immortal
I suspect we have given him permission to look around. Put aside the unconfirmed rumour of him wanting out for the moment.
I think with Edwards and May being re-signed and hopefully Cleary later on we may struggle to retain players like Peachey for 2020 and beyond. Maybe its in his best interests so the management have given him permission to get a better deal for himself.
Just a thought.

When we needed to release someone for Maloney. He was the 1st I thought of I can't see any way he isn't surplus to requirments especially with Whare's 5 year deal. May being a like for like swap and cheaper

The majority of this squad has played 3/4 final series so players are in demand. Given we have won National 18's a played in 2 NSW Cup GF's and 2 NYC GF's in that time too. We can't keep them all so sadly guys like this need to go

kinghippo

Juniors
When we needed to release someone for Maloney. He was the 1st I thought of I can't see any way he isn't surplus to requirments especially with Whare's 5 year deal. May being a like for like swap and cheaper

The majority of this squad has played 3/4 final series so players are in demand. Given we have won National 18's a played in 2 NSW Cup GF's and 2 NYC GF's in that time too. We can't keep them all so sadly guys like this need to go
It does all make sense
Just a thought.
it all makes sense, if the dollars help land Cleary it will all be worth it.

mxlegend99

Referee
That will be the price to pay. Lose a few players like Peachey and/or Manosur to retain Cleary. As long as we don't lose those players and Cleary.
Shouldn't losing Latu. Moylan. Hiku. TMM and Rein have covered that?

Losing Peachey and Mansour ontop of them.... sure compared to Cleary they are expendable (hes literally the most important player at our club). But it really is the club going full circle from before Gus arrived. Only this time around thel blokes on overs arent local juniors.

Big Mick

Referee
Shouldn't losing Latu. Moylan. Hiku. TMM and Rein have covered that?

Losing Peachey and Mansour ontop of them.... sure compared to Cleary they are expendable (hes literally the most important player at our club). But it really is the club going full circle from before Gus arrived. Only this time around thel blokes on overs arent local juniors.

Just remember that we we also have had to upgrade May, Edwards, Kikau etc on top of re-signing the NYC guys like Egan, Martin etc.

Also bringing in Maloney.

So Latu/Hiku/TMM/Rein money would have gone to upgrading May/Edwards/Kikau while Maloney and Moylan was probably a wash with the remainder going towards the Cleary fund.

Then Peach and Mansour on top hopefully is enough to keep Cleary.

End of the day we have Edwards, May, Egan wrapped up for at least another 2 years...along with Maloney. So if we have Cleary signed then that means the spine is covered and that's the most important.

mxlegend99

Referee
Just remember that we we also have had to upgrade May, Edwards, Kikau etc on top of re-signing the NYC guys like Egan, Martin etc.

Also bringing in Maloney.

So Latu/Hiku/TMM/Rein money would have gone to upgrading May/Edwards/Kikau while Maloney and Moylan was probably a wash with the remainder going towards the Cleary fund.

Then Peach and Mansour on top hopefully is enough to keep Cleary.

End of the day we have Edwards, May, Egan wrapped up for at least another 2 years...along with Maloney. So if we have Cleary signed then that means the spine is covered and that's the most important.
I know players got upgrades. But those upgrades are not the issue.

Its the ridiculous overs paid to sign the likes of Merrin, Tamou and Maloney. Just as the club did in the good old days. Only back then it was local juniors.

You shouldnt need to lose 7 players to upgrade a few contracts and sign a few players unless you're paying overs somewhere. That said we havent lost Mansour or Peachey yet... Its a hypothetical situation. Losing 7 guys who were top 25 last year to bring in 1 big name and upgrade a few players is no better than paying overs to our best juniors and losing a few unestablished players.

Infact you would prefer to lose promise before a player that is established

Fangs

Coach
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...s/news-story/97402b24e03309c95481025577517e3e

Let the games continue.

Griffin on Tuesday also denied any knowledge of discussions involving Peachey’s possible exit, and is adamant the former Cronulla player is critical to Penrith’s 2018 aspirations.

“He’s been great for us the last couple of years. I haven’t heard anything about (a release) though,” Griffin told AAP.

All is well in Pantherland it seems.

However this is the second time in under a year the Peachey release rumour has surfaced (See link below). Fair chance this isn't Fake News people.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/07/18/leilani-latu-denies-release-talk/

franklin2323

Immortal
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...s/news-story/97402b24e03309c95481025577517e3e

Let the games continue.

Griffin on Tuesday also denied any knowledge of discussions involving Peachey’s possible exit, and is adamant the former Cronulla player is critical to Penrith’s 2018 aspirations.

“He’s been great for us the last couple of years. I haven’t heard anything about (a release) though,” Griffin told AAP.

All is well in Pantherland it seems.

However this is the second time in under a year the Peachey release rumour has surfaced (See link below). Fair chance this isn't Fake News people.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/07/18/leilani-latu-denies-release-talk/

Moylan left because Flanagan asked Gus. Latu left because we let him look elsewhere. Clubs can't talk to Peachey unless we say so ATM it is all fake news

Fangs

Coach
Moylan left because Flanagan asked Gus. Latu left because we let him look elsewhere. Clubs can't talk to Peachey unless we say so ATM it is all fake news

A little bow on top of each scenario. Too neat for me.

Can't, shan't, won't...but they are talking to him. Don't take the rules too seriously.

franklin2323

Immortal
A little bow on top of each scenario. Too neat for me.

Can't, shan't, won't...but they are talking to him. Don't take the rules too seriously.

NRL still have a say in GC though. If it was Roosters or someone I could see rules being broken. Also Brennan is as straight as they come and said they haven't and can't talk to him.

Not to say they won't. Wouldn't shock me if they leaked the rumour to build it up so we do end up releasing him

seal

Juniors
With Phillips injured for the next 6 months we could really use another backup winger if the salary cap allows us to do so… would hate to see Waqa Blake thrown on the wing again this year

I’d like to see us look at someone like Edrick Lee, Young Tonumaipea, George Jennings, etc... all cheap options who aren’t getting many first grade opportunities at their current clubs and have first grade experience. Could all do a job on the wing if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.