What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
What mx said. How do you not listen to that?

Compare those Broncos stats to where we finished those years. There is no doubt we better now then we were back then

They lost Lockyer. How did Ricky Stuart go once Freddy retired?

So your point about everyone knowing we are better now then 10 years ago is wrong. A few don't seem to see that.

OldPanther

Coach
Compare those Broncos stats to where we finished those years. There is no doubt we better now then we were back then

So your point about everyone knowing we are better now then 10 years ago is wrong. A few don't seem to see that.

Yes I was wrong.

mxlegend99

Referee

You dont seem to see that Ivan Cleary, Garth Brennan and Gus rebuilt this club and put it in the shape it was in 2016.

That Griffin is pissing away all that hard work turning what should be a powerhouse club into a fringe top 8 side. Exactly as he did at Broncos

8% win rate against top 4 sides since 2016
0% in finals series.

Depth is being destroyed. Our top 17 has gotten weaker exactly as it did at Broncos.

The club is in better shape than it was 10 years sgo in spite of Anthony Griffin. You're giving him credit for what Ivan Cleary and Garth Brennan helped Gould build.when hes just wasting our premiership window.

mxlegend99

Referee
I know Cummins wouldn't let us have the ball for the last 10 minutes, just like 2016, but you can hardly claim the better side lost. My feeling is a couple of freakish Sandor Earl plays got us closer than we deserved to get.
Yep. I understand being mad at refs in the moment. But looking back we only lost by a converted goal. Flash missed one. Croker didnt.

We could just have easily won... and really we were not the better team. Our losses to Bulldogs in 14, Raiders in 16 and Broncos in 17 we probably played better for large periods of the game. But ulimately lost due to not being able to make the most of our dominance.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have said it before and I'll say it again I think our biggest loss from all the players who have been released or left the club for what ever reason is Darren Nichols.

He may be 28 or 29 years old what ever he is but he should have been retained as an injury back up for Nathan Cleary.

He was the ideal quality back up half back and if it cost Gus an extra $50K on what the Dragons offered him then in my view it would have been money well spent.

soc123_au

Staff member
I know Cummins wouldn't let us have the ball for the last 10 minutes, just like 2016, but you can hardly claim the better side lost. My feeling is a couple of freakish Sandor Earl plays got us closer than we deserved to get.
I didnt think we were the better team across the 80 minutes, but as we know momentum is everything. Its all just history now, but my feeling at the time was with 10 to go the game was our for the taking. Canberra were shot. Enter Cummins.

My posts about 2010 are in no way saying Elliott was good for much of anything. I think he would make a decent assistant, but not much beyond that. Our roster in 2010 was arguably weaker than what we have now, a coach that all agree was rubbish, a front office that was a toilet & facilities that were among the worst in the NRL. We finished 2nd and were a breath a way from week 3. Hook has a much shinier tool box than any coach in our history. It's time to do something with the f**king thing. That is the argument, who is historically our best coach is irrelevant, none of them had what Hook has at his disposal.

franklin2323

Immortal
I didnt think we were the better team across the 80 minutes, but as we know momentum is everything. Its all just history now, but my feeling at the time was with 10 to go the game was our for the taking. Canberra were shot. Enter Cummins.

My posts about 2010 are in no way saying Elliott was good for much of anything. I think he would make a decent assistant, but not much beyond that. Our roster in 2010 was arguably weaker than what we have now, a coach that all agree was rubbish, a front office that was a toilet & facilities that were among the worst in the NRL. We finished 2nd and were a breath a way from week 3. Hook has a much shinier tool box than any coach in our history. It's time to do something with the f**king thing. That is the argument, who is historically our best coach is irrelevant, none of them had what Hook has at his disposal.

Exactly what you said about that Canberra game on field matches 2016 game down there. Throw in key injures and it is very similar

franklin2323

Immortal
I have said it before and I'll say it again I think our biggest loss from all the players who have been released or left the club for what ever reason is Darren Nichols.

He may be 28 or 29 years old what ever he is but he should have been retained as an injury back up for Nathan Cleary.

He was the ideal quality back up half back and if it cost Gus an extra $50K on what the Dragons offered him then in my view it would have been money well spent.

If the figures mentioned for Bryce is true then add him to the overpaid list. Explains why re-signings like this was impossible

mxlegend99

Referee
If the figures mentioned for Bryce is true then add him to the overpaid list. Explains why re-signings like this was impossible
Bryce was already signed. On ~$500k per season. Which is reasonable for both him and the club. The issue was locking up our best players on reasonably big money while paying overs to bring other guys here when the cap simply doesnt allow a team to do that

Carty is 100% off the books now and supposedly we still cant afford to keep this roster together. Tamou on $700k+. Maloney on $800k. Merrin big money. Those are the signings that put resl pressure on the cap.

Although Maloney came after we released Moylan, his contract was big enough we needed to cut Latu aswell.

franklin2323

Immortal
Bryce is not a $500k player ATM that was the issue. Needing to release Hiku/TMM to re-sign CHN, May and Edwards. No way was last year's roster good enough to be right on the cap. Once guys start making Origin maybe but ATM nope

mxlegend99

Referee
Bryce is not a $500k player ATM that was the issue. Needing to release Hiku/TMM to re-sign CHN, May and Edwards. No way was last year's roster good enough to be right on the cap. Once guys start making Origin maybe but ATM nope
Tamou never has been and never will be a $700k player. $500k for a potential match winner is more than reasonable. We dont make week 2 of finals in 2017 without him. He has won us multiple games in his short career already. Even in his worst season of NRL he stood up when we need him to against Sea Eagles. He's only 23 years old. His best footy is ahead of him. Very low risk to expect that.

If we want to write players off completely after a poor season. Maloney had an ordinary 2017 season aswell. The club is going all in on him bouncing back in 2018.

Tamou had a poor season. Merrin had a poor season and so on. As did Carty and Moylan and most of our players All could bounce back. Or none. Injuries can ruin any players season. God knows we have our fair share of them.

I think Moylan and Carty will have great seasons. I think Maloney will go well also. Mez will bounce back. Tamou will suck though (for a $700k player).

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Difference is Maloney has results behind him. As does Tamou. As good as Bryce may be in the future he wasn't there yet and may never get there. Wheras Maloney was still playing Origin and Test footy on a bad year

Fangs

Coach
The value of NRL players is changing rapidly. Cap increases plus players breaking the golden 7 figure mark have done that.

Those SOO forwards will rightfully be asking for their pay day.

mxlegend99

Referee
There would be SOO forwards not getting that though.
The average wage if the roster was split evenly is a tad over $300k per season.

The games absolute best are earning 3 to 4 times that. He wasnt even on double that.

Roosters have signed Angus Crichton for alot more than that. Hes not a rep forward, is less e perienced and hasnt yet shown the same match winning potential as Cartwright.

Highly skilled players are worth that risk. Especially the ones who have shown they can win matches. Hard to put a price on match winning plays. A one off isnt something worth going crazy over. But a player who has shown they can do it multiple times and still has huge room for improvement. $500k is nothing. Every club in the NRL would set aside $500k for that in a heartbeat.

Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts