What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankus

Juniors
Based on what we have been serving up - we should throw the kitchen sink at landing Cronk as captain/coach.

BxTom

Bench
Griffin has denied the Te Marie rumours to the media in brisssy this arvo.

I suspected that this was crap as I think that TMM has pretty well proven his "physicality". Glad that he's staying - a near certain future star.

Tom.

mxlegend99

Referee
Rumor is that Cleary wants Russell Packer at Tigers and is hoping that Matulino helps sign him.

If true thats probably the best argument for getting rid of Cleary. That piece of shit doesnt deserve to play in the NRL and I find it hard to respect a team that would allow him to.

Imagine Josh Reynolds and Russell Packer in the same team... Tigers could quickly become a grubby side that everyone hates.

soc123_au

Staff member
Reynolds is a grub on the field but seems a decent bloke off the field. Different league to Packer.

This may add to the weight of current speculation going around.
An article a couple of days ago about Rein. The bottom paragraph is of interest.

MITCH Rein faces an uncertain future at Penrith despite having signed a two-year contract at the foot of the mountains.
Rein joined the Panthers from St George Illawarra during the off-season with high hopes of reinvigorating his career.
However, he is yet to make his NRL debut for Penrith and has found himself languishing in the NSW Cup ranks.
This is largely due to the presence of NSW Origin hopeful Peter Wallace, who has made the starting hooker position at the Panthers his own in recent seasons.
It’s understood Rein is frustrated, as he feels he still has plenty to offer at the highest level.
The ex-Dragon was reportedly seeking a release to join a rival club, however this has been denied by his manager George Mimis.
That’s not to say that Rein wouldn’t consider a release if it meant he could play regular first grade, which barring injury seems unlikely at Penrith.
In addition, the Panthers are currently juggling their salary cap and have to move on a number of players in their top 30 squad for 2018 and beyond.
Rein, who is on a decent two-year contract, could come under the microscope.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d/news-story/d379e7bb6d19bcfb00d0ffca6b1980d4

ACTPanthers

Bench
Rein would be higher up the pay scale then MWZ - Makes sense to release him to free space, but as discussed, releasing MWZ doesn't do much to our cap

I believe because of the unknown salary cap figure for next year (which still isn't final) have probably put us a little over whatever the final number of next years cap will be. last years mass re-signings and Tamou's arrival have contributed to that.
The NRL has warned clubs not to commit to spend more than $9.14 million on players next year, while clubs are hoping for a final salary cap $9.5 - $9.6 million.
The next month will be interesting and quite possibly frustrating too if we have to shed players. As MX said MWZ's contract wouldn't save us anything with him most likely being replace by a player on the same wage..

Here is the story.

Griffin responds to Martin exit talk
ANTHONY Griffin has dismissed talk that Te Maire Martin is out of favour at Penrith, saying the Kiwi international may make his NRL return next round.

Martin will again be sidelined when the Panthers look to break a four-game losing streak against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night.

Bryce Cartwright has been retained at pivot despite a rusty return from an ankle injury in last round’s 18-12 loss to Parramatta.

But Griffin said Martin was recovering well from a neck complaint and would push for an NRL comeback next round, contrary to reports this week.

Te Maire Martin and Nathan Cleary during Panthers training. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource:News Corp Australia

There was speculation Martin had fallen out with Griffin, who reportedly had concerns with the Panthers pivot’s “physicality and toughness”.

Griffin said Martin would be considered for next round’s clash with the Warriors on May 13.

“He’s not far away. He’s going well,” he said.

“I know there was some stuff in the Sydney media this week about him being out of favour with us and there were other clubs interested in him — that was not the case at all.

“A lot of stuff you read in the papers you can’t believe.”

Griffin said retaining Cartwright at five-eighth should not be seen as a Martin snub.

“Te Maire was rested last week and Bryce was ready to come back,” he said.

“With the short turnaround (ahead of the Broncos game) I think it is important we stay at that for the moment.”
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...r/news-story/2e0d9d5baaefbf82bb280c2f50dd0ee2

Munted

Bench
Good ol honest Griffin.
Or Derpin as i shall now call him.

Of course he will come out and deny it, what good does it do to the team to come out and go "yes...in fact we do wish to move TMM on".

Jeeeeeepers.

"rusty" is a very generous description of Cartwright last week - exceedingly shit would be more accurate.

We have a guy who's good enough to play 5/8 for NSW but we play a second rower there.

Yes I know I go on about it a lot, and I'm not stopping anytime soon.

f**k me I'll never forget the Griffin years!

Status
Not open for further replies.