What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I'd rather move Moylan to 6 than bring in Cronk, to be honest. I'd spend the money on better props than Tamou and RCG and a hooker.

mxlegend99

Referee
I heard from a semi reliable source that TMM hasn't pronged anyone's Mrs. The word is there was some type of incident with his gf and another player. No idea who the other player is and I dont know how serious the incident is. If true you have to feel for the bloke.

If TMM didnt do the dirty but was the victim... the only way it would make sense to push him out is if it was the coach who did it. Otherwise what reason would there be to banish the victim?

Doesnt really matter why we want him gone though. He's on a small contract and we could offload him at no cost to us very easily. He's worth alot more than what we signed him for now. He has since played for New Zealand and proven he is capable in first grade.

Things like his tackle on Nathan Ross against Knights show just how seriously quick he is too. I dont believe we are waiting to release him so it doesnt cost us. There has to be more to it then that. I think its more likely we are trying to get something or someone out of it.

If its the Warriors... maybe we just didnt want him carving us up.

Munted

Bench
If TMM didnt do the dirty but was the victim... the only way it would make sense to push him out is if it was the coach who did it. Otherwise what reason would there be to banish the victim?

Hah! Hook doesn't have the energy in him to do the dirty on some other blokes Mrs.
"Ughhhhhhhhh, that'll involve me using my brain. No thanks. "

betcats

Referee
I'd rather move Moylan to 6 than bring in Cronk, to be honest. I'd spend the money on better props than Tamou and RCG and a hooker.

I don't think we need to throw more money at the middle rotation(I would like it if we had better spent Tamous money but we cant change that). If we can get Merrin, Tamou and Latu back to where they were last season we would be killing it. Im fairly confident Merrin will get there, his last two games have been his best for us this year but Tamou and Latu who knows, Latu looks a bit heavy to me, he is getting tackle before he can really get moving. Ive been happy with RCGs form, he has improved his defence and is running with intent and I think Brown, Kikau, Sitaleki and even Leota are good options as the fourth rotation prop.

The best result imo would be moving Moylan to 6, Carty to 13 and merrin to 10 and sign Cronk as a halves coach or player. If he wants to play see if he is open to coming off the bench to relieve Wallace or failing that move Cleary to the bench for a year. I think it would be worth it to get Cronk around Cleary and to a lesser extent Moylan and hope some of his work ethic both physical and mental will rub off.

TheFrog

Coach
If its the Warriors... maybe we just didnt want him carving us up.
The Warriors don't need him this year anyway. They aren't going to drop Foran and they sure as hell aren't going to drop Johnson. If he went to the Warriors he'd be carving us up in reserve grade when we play them again, barring injury.

Hah! Hook doesn't have the energy in him to do the dirty on some other blokes Mrs.
It's not like he's a great communicator or anything. Which you'd need to be (or a movie or rock star or stinking rich) as a grey haired 50 something to get your hands on some lissom 19 year old poppet. So I think that theory could safely be discounted.

franklin2323

Immortal
I would think we would get an experienced player. Given Gus is whinging at how young our squad is. Not sure who we would get

betcats

Referee
I would think we would get an experienced player. Given Gus is whinging at how young our squad is. Not sure who we would get

He was pushing this in the roosters game yesterday. Not talking about us but saying teams with the most nrl games experience are always near the top.

betcats

Referee
Also as far as future hookers go I still like Katoa but Wade Egan seems another decent prospect. I haven't been able to watch the nyc as much as I have in previous years but watched a lot last year and he is a smart player who tackles well and doesn't get flustered. Captain of the nyc team now and just scored 4 tries on the w.e so he seems to be going ok.

It would be nice if we didn't have rein taking the nsw cup hooker spot, then we would have a better idea of Katoa and possibly Egan.

franklin2323

Immortal
He was pushing this in the roosters game yesterday. Not talking about us but saying teams with the most nrl games experience are always near the top.

At the members forum he said Sharks and Storm have an ave age of 27. We are 22.3 or something.

Kind of ironic seeing he picked the roster. Does explain the stupidity of the Browne signing a bit. So I'd say if we miss out on Cronk we will go to a old head in some position

franklin2323

Immortal
Also as far as future hookers go I still like Katoa but Wade Egan seems another decent prospect. I haven't been able to watch the nyc as much as I have in previous years but watched a lot last year and he is a smart player who tackles well and doesn't get flustered. Captain of the nyc team now and just scored 4 tries on the w.e so he seems to be going ok.

It would be nice if we didn't have rein taking the nsw cup hooker spot, then we would have a better idea of Katoa and possibly Egan.

Rein will join Hiku at another club before June 30. He is one going to free up cash.

forby

Juniors
I read in the NZ Herald on the weekend that the Warriors haven't spoken to TMM yet, and have only had brief talks with his manager. They don't sound overly interested in him for this year or next.

Cronk's not coming.

PANTHERS NOT ON PROWL FOR CRONK

by Christian Nicolussi

PENRITH supremo Phil Gould has quickly shut down talk of Cooper Cronk signing with Penrith next year, declaring: “He’s never been discussed, he’s never been considered, and we are not in the market for any players.’’

Despite the salary cap pressure, Cronk’s possible move to the foot of the mountains would have had tremendous appeal. The club is in the strongest off-field position it’s ever been, the playing roster is deep and Cronk would have had the chance to mentor young halfback Nathan Cleary.

But Gould could not have been more blunt about the Panthers becoming the latest Sydney club to not entertain chasing the Melbourne superstar No. 7.

His comments came on the same day senior players backed 19-year-old Cleary to cope with the physical and mental burden of leading the club through the Origin period.

Cleary winced in pain when his heavily-strapped right elbow copped a knock at training on Tuesday, but he will take his place against Newcastle on Sunday.

Talk of Cronk heading to Penrith gained momentum the past week, but Gould told The Daily Telegraph via text: “We are very comfortable with our playing roster and our development programs.

“We are very comfortable with our current salary cap position. I have no idea where these rumours start.’’

The Panthers have most of their players locked up to long-term deals and have little money to throw at any new players moving forward, let alone a million-dollar man like Cronk.

The question remains who coach Anthony Griffin will make the long-term halves partner for Cleary? The Matt Moylan debate is likely to gain momentum should the Panthers fullback and skipper retain the Blues. five-eighth position.

Te Maire Martin was named in the No. 21 jersey for Sunday’s trip to Newcastle, while back-rower Bryce Cartwright has done a handy job again this season after moving into the halves late last year.

“That’s entirely up to coach (who partners Cleary),’’ Gould said.

“Our aim is to be patient and keep developing the young players in our club. We have a long way to go with this group, but we have great confidence in their potential.’’

Trent Merrin and James Tamou, two NSW hopefuls, said Cleary had continued to impress in his second season in the top flight.

“Everything he’s been through at that age, it’s unreal,’’ Tamou said of Cleary.

“The way he talks and presents himself, he’s definitely mature enough (to cope).’’

Merrin added: “He’s a natural leader, and he’ll only get better as the years go on. When you get players like (Moylan) out of the team, it only makes players like himself stand up and take on more of a leadership role. He’ll thrive on those things. He’s continually learning, and it will only do him good.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/5339700814a5163df1ceae687fdfa07a

betcats

Referee
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sta...p/news-story/c5d3b05a8195dd2e0e4f9827420a9cd6

He wont get picked but this is interesting bit from FOX sports, statistically Moylan is performing better than Maloney(where the stats can be compared between the two positions) this year. It just stats but Moylan has not been in great form for a lot of the year and still smokes Maloney in the ball playing stats(linebreak and try assists). What argument is there for him not to be playing in the halves at this point?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sta...p/news-story/c5d3b05a8195dd2e0e4f9827420a9cd6

James Maloney was the only one to play all three games in the NSW halves last year.

Matt Moylan spent Origin I and II at fullback before jumping into the No.6 jumper when Reynolds went down injured.

The big advantage Maloney has over Moylan in the battle for this five-eighth position is he actually plays the role at club level.

Moylan is an NRL fullback, although capable of slotting into the halves if required.

And his numbers make him hard to look past if comparing him to the Cronulla premiership winner.

When wearing the No.1 jumper for the Panthers this year, Moylan averages 116 run metres and 43 possessions. He’s busted a whopping 27 tackles and had four linebreaks from nine games.

His ball-playing is also elite for a fullback — he’s registered five try assists and 11 linebreak assists.

That’s more try assists and more linebreak assists than Sharks five-eighth Maloney (3 and 6 respectively).

Another red cross against Maloney’s name is the 20 penalties he’s conceded compared to Moylan’s two.

Moylan’s kicking game close to the line is also an asset, having forced three dropouts for Penrith.

betcats

Referee
It's so frustrating reading that and knowing Cartwright will be playing 5/8 this weekend :rage:

I'm certain he can excel at 5/8 even with his defensive deficiencies.

Again this is just statistics but Moylan has made 69 tackles and missed 15 this year. Maloney 129 tackles and missed 60. So Moylan is missing tackles at half the rate of Maloney, the sharks still manage to be a quality defensive team carrying Maloney who has missed more tackles than anyone in the NRL.

OldPanther

Coach

He wont get picked but this is interesting bit from FOX sports, statistically Moylan is performing better than Maloney(where the stats can be compared between the two positions) this year. It just stats but Moylan has not been in great form for a lot of the year and still smokes Maloney in the ball playing stats(linebreak and try assists). What argument is there for him not to be playing in the halves at this point?

James Maloney was the only one to play all three games in the NSW halves last year.

Matt Moylan spent Origin I and II at fullback before jumping into the No.6 jumper when Reynolds went down injured.

The big advantage Maloney has over Moylan in the battle for this five-eighth position is he actually plays the role at club level.

Moylan is an NRL fullback, although capable of slotting into the halves if required.

And his numbers make him hard to look past if comparing him to the Cronulla premiership winner.

When wearing the No.1 jumper for the Panthers this year, Moylan averages 116 run metres and 43 possessions. He’s busted a whopping 27 tackles and had four linebreaks from nine games.

His ball-playing is also elite for a fullback — he’s registered five try assists and 11 linebreak assists.

That’s more try assists and more linebreak assists than Sharks five-eighth Maloney (3 and 6 respectively).

Another red cross against Maloney’s name is the 20 penalties he’s conceded compared to Moylan’s two.

Moylan’s kicking game close to the line is also an asset, having forced three dropouts for Penrith.

I am of the opinion Moylan will be one of the best halves to play the game if given the chance to spend some time in the position. His stats last year and this massively support it.

BxTom

Bench
Again this is just statistics but Moylan has made 69 tackles and missed 15 this year. Maloney 129 tackles and missed 60. So Moylan is missing tackles at half the rate of Maloney, the sharks still manage to be a quality defensive team carrying Maloney who has missed more tackles than anyone in the NRL.

Or Maloney is just trying harder...

Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.