What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
There's a heap of halves you could buy with Tyrone's level of ability Seage. The fact that he's not even a starting half at the GC, behind 2 kids that have a combined 40 or so first grade games between them says it all. He is a long way from the type of half we need at this club. The blokes defence is nothing short of pathetic.

macavity

Referee
So best possible scenario is we sign a few more unproven kids and maybe, possibly, an older prop.

Sign me up for that shit.

perverse

Referee
So best possible scenario is we sign a few more unproven kids and maybe, possibly, an older prop.

Sign me up for that shit.
You know I've been kidding myself that we might get one half decent signing to ease the pain a bit, but I'm realising now that that was Ponga.

We'll get SKD, who the f**k else would want him.

perverse

Referee
Maybe we should offer Cronk $2mil a season and pay his petrol bill to drive to Newcastle every day from Sydney.
Yeah because 2 hours less sleep and 4 hours travelling every day is what he wants to do for his final NRL year lol.

I don't believe he'd take the offer, even at 2 mill.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I wouldn't be against chad townsend. He's twice the player that hokko is.

I think a Townsend/Josh Reynolds halves combo could work.

I also think 7. Lamb 6. Josh Reynolds would work.

I don't think a lamb and Townsend combo would work.

Spot On

Coach
Keiran Foran was the only player I would have wanted here in the halves. He was the player we needed.

I don't know what we do now. The rest are bog average and all on toooooo much money. Maybe there's a bargain basement buy somewhere now the cards have fallen at the TPA clubs???

slotmachine

First Grade
Yeah because 2 hours less sleep and 4 hours travelling every day is what he wants to do for his final NRL year lol.

I don't believe he'd take the offer, even at 2 mill.

He just walked out of the Storm because he was travelling Melbourne - Sydney a couple of times a week.

He'd retire before he set foot in Newcastle.

Here's a list of the current rep level players left of contract;

Will Chambers, Gavin Cooper, Blake Ferguson, James Roberts, Darius Boyd, Josh Dugan, Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Shaun Johnson, Anthony Milford, Gareth Widdop, Ben Matulino, Dane Gagai

How many we going to get?

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Mate the big clubs don't have a cap. They can stockpile for depth. They would have reserves earning more than our starters.

"Bargain basement" doesn't exist anymore.

macavity

Referee
I wouldn't be against chad townsend. He's twice the player that hokko is.

I think a Townsend/Josh Reynolds halves combo could work.

I also think 7. Lamb 6. Josh Reynolds would work.

I don't think a lamb and Townsend combo would work.

For what he wants? Would stuff our cap all over again. We can't get him a hair product TPA to make up the difference between what he wants and what he is worth on the cap.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I haven't heard SBW talked about anywhere for 2 years. Is he still alive? What's he doing? When is his contract up?

Ahh who am I kidding. He would never come to a bottom tier club like the knights. We are below him.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
For what he wants? Would stuff our cap all over again. We can't get him a hair product TPA to make up the difference between what he wants and what he is worth on the cap.

We don't have any other option though. We need halves. Even bottom of the barrel halves are twice as good as what we have now.

macavity

Referee
We don't have any other option though. We need halves. Even bottom of the barrel halves are twice as good as what we have now.

Not exactly a balanced side to pay your bottom 4-5 halfback marquee money. Pretty much guaranteeing we stay where we are. Hell its a continuation of Hodko with better hair.

Burwood

Bench
The thing I find hardest to swallow about Foran and Woods going to the dogs is that they can give their roster a complete makeover in a matter of weeks, whereas we are needing 2-3 years to do the exact same thing. Even when we have millions spare under the salary cap, all they need to do is reorganise a few deck chairs and they can sign two internationals on million dollar contracts.

I think our best bet now is to hold on to the money, not make panicked signings for guys like SKD, and then hope that the sale to Wests goes through relatively quickly. Give us the chance to enter the player market with a bit more certainty and professionalism behind the club.

Spot On

Coach
He just walked out of the Storm because he was travelling Melbourne - Sydney a couple of times a week.

Will Chambers, Gavin Cooper, Blake Ferguson, James Roberts, Darius Boyd, Josh Dugan, Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Shaun Johnson, Anthony Milford, Gareth Widdop, Ben Matulino, Dane Gagai

There's 4 players that may leave their current clubs on that list (not including Cronk) and one of them is Gags.

Unfortunately, none of them are what we need.

slotmachine

First Grade
I think our best bet now is to hold on to the money, not make panicked signings for guys like SKD, and then hope that the sale to Wests goes through relatively quickly. Give us the chance to enter the player market with a bit more certainty and professionalism behind the club.

So we just writing off 2018 to another spoon then? Brownie and Gids will get punted if so.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors

Out of those players, the only player we are a chance is gagai.

The rest would be in advanced negotiations with their current club.

Dugan wants a million dollars, dragons don't want to give him that. We already have ponga.

Widdop will sign with the dragons or storm.

SJ will stay in NZ.

Roberts Boyd and milf will stay in Brisbane on minimum wage to play for wayne.

Matulino has signed with the tigers.

Gavin cooper we don't need.

The only player that may get pushed out in that list is Blake ferguson. He would be wanting decent centre cash. Would be an upgrade on Pete Mat but not necessary. Would take fergo over skd tho.