What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Sacrolishes

Juniors
Fair enough. Be great targets. Something will give. Surely. I hope so. :flushed:

Both have been mentioned.

Hoffman is off contract and the Roosters are going to have to shed players and have a guy with no path to FG who might want a shot somewhere else. So... half half.

Spot On

Coach
Their letter to the bulldogs was a very good start.

Mmm, but I clearly remember the Andrew Gee fiasco where it all became too hard to 'find' the truth. I know this is different but I'm not sold on anything really coming from it at the Bulldogs.

Fingers crossed.

Pedge1971

First Grade
If you need to sell, sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do.

Agreed mate. But don we honestly believe the NRL will scrutinise their cap enough for them to have to? I just think SKD, Fergo, Tupou and a few others will be told to look elsewhere before Watson.

But I hope you are right!

Pedge1971

First Grade
so best (semi-realistic) case scenario looks something like this:

1. Ponga
2. Sio
3. Gagai
4. SKD
5. Ross

6. Watson
7. Lamb

8. Graham (c)
9. Levi
10. Saifiti

11. Mata'utia
12. Hoffman
13. Barnett

14. Buhrer
15. Pauli
16. Vete
17. Saifiti

Would be happy running that out next year, as opposed to what we can run out this year.

Still not anywhere near a contending squad, but could pinch 7-8th if they click - and just as importantly it will take a lot of pressure off a very young spine and let them grow together. A few more signings and some growth and in 2-3 years we are competitive.

Interesting times ahead if the NRL actually grow some nuts and ensure contracts are registered at something approximating market value. A few clubs will be in some pain if it actually happens. So it probably won't.

I would give my left nut for a squad like that in 2018. One thing is for sure we will find out if Brown can coach if anything like that can be put together. No excuses to show much better results.

Assume Kostjayson is medically retired in the above scenario?

mozza91

Coach
Would honestly prefer Pete to SKD at this stage. We can not afford another mistake prone player who has weekly brain farts.

macavity

Referee
Agreed mate. But don we honestly believe the NRL will scrutinise their cap enough for them to have to? I just think SKD, Fergo, Tupou and a few others will be told to look elsewhere before Watson.

But I hope you are right!

Possibly. It's possible they try to turn him into a centre. Time will tell.

And I live in hope that the NRL takes their own rules seriously. They have a very simple way to do so right now - other clubs have made offers on these players, so we have market value figures to work from.

They did it once with Folau, hopefully again. Although Greenburg doesn't inspire hope.

Spot On

Coach
For a bloke of Tupou's size he really does disappoint when returning the ball. Annoys me greatly watching him. I'm surprised they have stuck with him for so long.

macavity

Referee
Watson on a pie and coke deal, goosters won't save anything moving him on. They'll ditch skd/tupou/fergo.

those three are just not going to be re-signed (although I think they will keep Tupou).

Depends what Watson is on. And again, sometimes when you need to sell you have to sell what you don't want to. If his manager agitates to get him a FG opportunity, never know what happens - there are no spine positions available, and he sees himself as a spine player.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I like tolman. Hes a tough bastard and has worked very hard to get where he is. He's a devoted family man and seems like a great bloke off the field.

Reminds me of billy peden. Would happily take him. Would still obvious love to get Grahame or even both though.

PhilGould

Bench
Rothfield said Graham is unlikely to be moved on, but Brown is already in talks with the Bulldogs and that we are a good chance of getting both Tolman & Eastwood.

Rothfield also said Foran to Newcastle 2 weeks ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

perverse

Referee
Tolmans workrate is first class, but his impact is low. Eastwood sorta the opposite. Both would slot into our pack without too much of a fight, so yeah I mean you take them. Probably get both for the price of Graham, too... giving us more funds to splash on "marquees" in other positions.

Albert Vete has been thrown around as a potential signing, too. We could probably do worse than adding Tolman, Eastwood and Vete to the pack next year. Still need a halfback.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Not really a big fan of Tolman or Eastwood. I wouldnt mind Tolman as hes experinced and has a great work rate. However Eastwood is far from his best and is only getting worse

Glendale

Juniors
Massive NO to Fatty Eastwood. Past his best and would come here to collect the cheque.

Tolman was re-signed till 2020 by the Dogs, with that in mind surely it's easier to get Graham who is unsigned beyond 2018?