What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Joel-22

Juniors
The resigning of Lamb should be our priority right now.
Add another centre and maybe a prop.

1.Ponga
6.Watson
7.Lamb
9.Levi

is young but I have a lot of faith in it. I don't think people realise how much pressure Ponga will take off Lamb.
We haven't had a ball-playing fullback since Boyd left - f**k it's exciting having one. Watson and Ponga's speed is really going to hurt sides this year

Burwood

Bench
Now that we are owned by Wests and Gardner has publicly stated that The club having a salary “sombrero” will be a focus, you just know that the NRL will crack down on TPAs.

PhilGould

Bench
Come to think of it, if Pearce's desire is really to play halfback and not be second fiddle then going to Manly doesn't make much sense.

Bartwah

Juniors
And the news report tonight saying the Johns brothers have been in his ear saying how much of a great fit Newy would be

Swarzey

Bench
Sign Pearce, roll the dice on Lamb and bite the bullet if needed.

Spine needs leadership, it needs structure and regardless of his Origin career Pearce provides what the Watson/Ponga/Levi and really the whole club needs. I can't see how the club is in any worse position by signing Pearce and potentially losing Lamb.

Edit: Also, prioritising Lamb over signing someone like Pearce is the same attitude that got us into the position we were in for years and the same attitude that has plagued us since Johns. To be competitive, to be thriving you need to make these decisions regardless of the potential cost.

Last edited:

PhilGould

Bench
I really wish Matty would do some work with our young halves, especially now that Jack is at the club. He's got massive raps on him as a halves coach.

Swarzey

Bench
I understand why Matty doesn't pitch in at Newcastle. His job is in Sydney; breakfast radio, television duties at a studio throughout the day and most nights of the week. Adding a coaching gig, even once a week, would be pushing it.

Joey I would like to see return to the club to coach the halves once or twice a week. Surely he doesn't have the same workload as his brother? Would probably help the culture of the club to have Newcastle's and one of rugby league's greatest icons around.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
If Pearce is serious about being the "main man" he'll come here.

But my concern is that he won't want to leave Sydney and the fact that he probably won't have a shot at winning a comp for at least a couple of years with us whereas he definitely has a much better chance at Manly or the Sharks in the next few years.

If we are prepared to throw $1.1m at him as is being reported then that will make things interesting. But if we're basically offering the same as the other clubs I think he'll stay in Sydney.

Joel-22

Juniors
If Pearce signs, Lamb will go this year to Manly.

They've released Green and the club said they wouldn't release Green unless they had a suitable replacement. IIRC Lamb was linked to Manly recently also.