What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

El Diablo

Post Whore
How did the Dogs get all this cap space all of a sudden?
todd_greenberg-600x400.jpg

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/02/21...ala-flees-english-club-wigan-for-nrl-the-mole

Homesick Frank-Paul Nuuausala flees English Club Wigan to return to NRL: The Mole

By The Mole
9 hours ago

Former Kiwi Test prop Frank-Paul Nuuausala has sensationally walked out on English glamour club Wigan,
remaining in Australia when the rest of the team flew home earlier this week.

The 31-year-old Nuuausala still has two years to run on a lucrative deal with Wigan but is believed to be homesick and keen to re-establish himself in the NRL.

Alarm bells were ringing when Nuuausala was the only member of the Wigan squad not to play in last weekend’s trial against Souths at ANZ Stadium.

Wigan coach Shaun Wane played down his absence - both after the game and when the squad returned to England yesterday.

But WWOS has learned that Nuuausala never got on the plane with his mates and is after a deal with an Aussie club.

Nuuausala's young family have been living in Newcastle and he is likely to try winning a spot in the young Knights squad, where his experience would prove invaluable.

Nuuausala played over 150 games for the Roosters from 2007 to 2014 and 31 games in two seasons at the Raiders in 2015-16.

He has spent the last two seasons with Wigan but English sources say he has never been really happy there.

hindy111

Post Whore
Mansour was one of the big reasons for the Panthers turn around last season IMO.

He’s an absolute beast from his own end, would as close as we could get for a like for like replacement for Semi IMO.

I reckon it was more to do with their final 15 games where against 4 teams who made the top 8 while 11 games against teams who didn't.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/beab3107369f3492077608ad87980fad

Eels ready to showcase forwards depth in Jarryd Hayne’s return

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
13 minutes ago

BRAD Arthur has declared Jarryd Hayne is ready to rock in his first game back for Parramatta in Saturday’s trial against Newcastle.

And so are the Eels big boys.

When the Eels offered Hayne a contract to return in 2018, Peter Sterling led the calls questioning why the money wasn’t spent on a quality front-rower.

Well, here’s Arthur’s defence of his underrated pack.

The Eels’ coach has named 12 forwards in his squad for the sold-out trial in Maitland, the club’s first and only hit out before the season kicks off.

Come round one against Penrith, only nine on this list will make the cut.

Such is the depth and quality at Arthur’s disposal, he has named Tepai Moeroa on the bench _ the player Sterlo hailed as the Eels’ “best young forward in a decade” back in 2015.

Tim Mannah and Daniel Alvaro are the starting front-rowers with Nathan Brown at lock, while Manu Ma’u and Brad Takairangi are the back-rowers.

With Takairangi moving into the forwards to make way for Hayne in the centres, Moeroa is part of a powerful bench that also includes Beau Scott, Kane Evans, Suaia Matagi, Kenny Edwards, Peni Terepo and David Gower.

And that doesn’t include Siosaia Vave, who is injured but will be ready for round one.

Asked if he was happy with his forward stocks, Arthur responded: “Yep.

“Happy.

“We still have a couple of young blokes knocking on the door, too.

“They will be handy for us at some stage.”

Arthur refused to get caught up in the fact critics just don’t seem to rate his pack.

“I don’t care,” he said.

Arthur said the challenge this weekend would be for all the forwards to fight their way into the starting pack for the opening round against the Panthers.

“It is going to be hard to nail down,” Arthur added.

“It is tough but it is what we have tried to work at as a club.

“To put together a squad where there is plenty of healthy competition for spots.”

In fairness to Sterling, he wasn’t the only one questioning if Hayne was the right fit for the Eels after their fourth-placed finish to 2017.

With so much anticipation now surrounding Hayne’s first game for the club since 2014, Arthur said the main thing he wanted to see from the now 30-year-old was “effort areas”.

“He is training very well,” Arthur said.

He said Hayne would start at right centre but also play on the left, and have time at five-eighth and fullback.

Arthur admits Hayne will start the season at centre, it just depends on which side of the field with Michael Jennings capable of also playing both edges.

hindy111

Post Whore
I dont mind our Props. If Kane Evans fires it looks a good pack.
What props have we lost from last season? Rory is only one I recal.
We gain K.Evans, T rex plus in a way Terepo who was out for most the season. Alvaro shpuld also be better as should Tepai who you could also add to middle forwards with Taka in backrow.

Stevie

Bench
Just having a look at Kane Evans on wiki. I did not realise he is 2m tall and he is listed at 116kg. That is a f**king huge man, the Klemmer mould in fact.

If BA has done what I think he can and Evans fires he could well be a great big angry prop just like the one we are all asking for!

Glenneel

Bench
Congrats mate.
I'm in the same boat myself. I'm expecting my first child in early September.
Problem is my missus comes from a bunch of private school, rugby-loving toffs. Will have to keep the kid away from any functions involving that side of the family for as long as possible.
My missus is ok though. She knows that this kid will be an Eels fan no matter what.
Congrats Stevie and Quint, exciting days ahead. If you're both grumpy after babies born we'll know its thru lack of sleep.

hindy111

Post Whore
He’s a fair bit lighter than Klemmer (but also faster). He said in an early interview that the club wants him to get bigger. I assume they didn’t mean taller.

I thought I read a quote from him saying he had put on 3 or 4kgs this off season.
Unsure what he weighs. Some list him at 110kgs but my meory was him saying he wanted to be around 116kgs by start of season.
Clubs website just copies and pastes weights. Bit poor if ask me.