What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
“Brock Lamb’s future at the Newcastle Knights has been the centre of plenty of conjecture this season following the club’s recruitment of Mitchell Pearce and Connor Watson.

His management rejected an informal one year $250,000 offer from the Knights a couple of games into the season to chase bigger riches and a greater opportunity elsewhere but after he was denied a mid-season release to join Manly, the interest in him dried up with the Eels pulling a $105,000 one year deal a few weeks back.”

https://www.theherald.com.au/sport/...amb-about-to-become-cooper-cronks-understudy/

Interesting offer made by us (obviously if it is true), considering the criticism BA received for considering Lamb. In my opinion shows BA and co aren’t making stupid decisions!

Anyhow I reckon the offer was pulled as Brown has show in his performances in NSW cup he can be a genuine back up option next year. Additionally it looks like Norman is staying.

The stupidity was in make that offer in the first place.

Glenneel

Bench
I'm good with the playing it by ear part, but if the result is having to give him a week off at some stage where we will be with an inferior hooker for an entire match, I think I would rather the alternative of just giving him a 15-20 minute rest during each game.
He already gets that, I think its called a half time break ffs!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The rule was designed to stop the rich clubs from warehousing players. Fair enough, but when you get some desk jockey at the NRL telling you that you have to play some washed up old fart instead of letting a kid debut - how is this good for the game ?
Agreed, especially when we are going like busted's. I reckon the comp is a por as it's been in a long long time. The set up isn't working.

Noise

Coach
Just playing devils advocate (and I don’t know what the solution is) but maybe it is up to the clubs to not include washed up players in the top 30. And instead correctly identify those younger players who may be a chance of debuting later in the year into the top 30.

There does need to be a limit on the number of players but who knows what that ideal number is. Wasn’t it only 25 last year?

Gronk

Staff member
Just playing devils advocate (and I don’t know what the solution is) but maybe it is up to the clubs to not include washed up players in the top 30. And instead correctly identify those younger players who may be a chance of debuting later in the year into the top 30.

There does need to be a limit on the number of players but who knows what that ideal number is. Wasn’t it only 25 last year?

No.

Noise

Coach

Clubs should include washed up players in the top 30?
Clubs shouldn’t correctly identify younger players that may debut into their top 30?
It wasn’t a top 25 last year?
Clubs should have an unlimited pool of players to choose from?

Stevie

Bench
Clubs shouldn’t correctly identify younger players that may debut into their top 30?

But then you have clubs like the Roosters stock piling talent FFS

Gronk

Staff member

No club includes washed up players in their Top30 on purpose. You need depth to deal with injuries and if you stack your 20-30 spots with 18-20 yo kids it will fail on so many levels.

Not only will you not be competitive but if you are forced to play Flegg players gefore they are ready they could literally end up on the scrap heap. Like it or not, a busted Beau Scott is far better than oregano kaufusi before he is ready.

There needs to be a mechanism to allow the 30 to be adaptable, a sensible compromise between the Roosters stacking the Roos with first graders and pathways for rookies.

TheRam

Coach
Lane has potential. Been one of Manlys better forwards. He does need a good offseason and a bit of muscle. Evans been ok last 2 weeks

Hindy, I have so far refrained from making comment on this potentially great signing, due to most people here already knowing that I rated him and being panned on here for knowing my RL, when most here wouldn't know their arse from Moeroa Tepai and still rate that plodder.

But just a couple of things that I hope our coaching staff get right with this young talent. Firstly Manly mostly, not last night, use him to much as the decoy runner and cut him out of their plays to much. He should be involved much more in their attacking raids and they need to get him running better lines. I think it is poor coaching and poor organisational skills by the playmakers in their team. He is to great a runner of the ball and has superb ball playing skills if they can work out a way to take advantage of them. But that is Manly's problem and hopefully won't be ours.

Then there is his fitness. He need to put on a little more size if it won't hamper his overall performance and only the sports science guys will know that, and he also needs to get super fit. This is the main reason why he has taken longer then I expected for him to shine. We need to flog him in the off season to the point that he has never been flogged before.

It has taken this guy way to long to get to be a 60-70 min player and he still isn't as fit as he should be. If this guy can get really fit, I know it is harder for the really big blokes to develop long stamina fitness, but it is doable, then he could develop into a top rep player.

We are lucky that we have signed him at this stage of his career and seem to be getting him when he has his head screwed on right and at a decent fitness level. But we have to get him even more fit. His issues have been his lack of involvement due to fatigue that to the Moeroa rater types, equates to lack of talent.

I for one can't wait to see if BA can advance this players game or will it just stagnate or decline? Like I said he can play, Moeroa can't and that is why I suggested that I would rather have him in our team and you all laughed. Moeroa is just a plodder at best that can tackle. Ok we all get it Pou and others, every team needs good tacklers, but I suspect we are paying him much more then just a decent tacklers wage. And that is why I bag him out and for all the hype that has never eventuated.

Well who's laughing now suckers.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

There wasn’t really a limit on squad numbers previously as you could have as many second tier contracts you wanted. But how many you used was dependent on how much cap space you had (that’s my understanding)

Noise

Coach
There wasn’t really a limit on squad numbers previously as you could have as many second tier contracts you wanted. But how many you used was dependent on how much cap space you had (that’s my understanding)

Well there was. There was a top 25 and then you could use 5(?) second tier contracts. So 30 (I think) in total. And just like the current system you had to apply to the NRL if you wanted to use anyone extra - for the exact reason of not allowing rich clubs to stockpile talent.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
There needs to be a mechanism to allow the 30 to be adaptable, a sensible compromise between the Roosters stacking the Roos with first graders and pathways for rookies.

It’s pretty simple, just let clubs use their development players (and all the under 20 players) however they want without restrictions.

I have no idea why the NRL would want to prevent the development of players which is what the current system does.

Gronk

Staff member

But even then you had to get permission from the NRL when you reached your 2nd tier cap. IIRC we were fined and made the news as rorters when we played kids without consent. A response to the NRL basically picking our team for us when we had a bunch of injuries.

TheRam

Coach
Manly teams is lot less stable then ours and so is their future even though above us on ladder. Id say along with the dogs they are the teams in most rabble who players would avoid going too. Coach wants out and they have little money to spend. Big mess. Id rather go to dogs actually.

The Dogs are ok, but as it showed last night Lachlan Lweis has fast become their main play maker and go to man. Without him against the Eagles they had no way of setting up attacking plays at all. Like I have said, this kid is going places and a lot of you here think he is just ok. We will see.

The Dogs will be rebuilt and a force once again on the back of this one.

BTW, where was he, injured?

Latest posts