What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Last time I went out for Anzac day was 2008 at Penrith RSL. Mik was killing it at 2 up. Then he bets this lady $50. He takes tails and she takes heads. He gives her his $50 as heads holds. Anyhoes tails wins. Mik says hand it over and she gives him his $50 back. He says yeah and the $50 I won. She arks up, there's your $50. He says yeah that's the f**king $50 I gave you to hold. YOU OWE ME THE $50 I WON. She keeps arguing I gave you your $50. So then he tell her to jam it up her fat arse and walks off.
I've never been back to an Anzac day RSL again. To many unstable drunk people to my liking.
The RSL is the absolute worst place to be on Anzac Day. I prefer to just go to the pub with my mates and talk shit about whoever didn't turn up.

Legal Eel

Juniors
Merkins who grew up in the same house I understand, but nobody goes to a club because their cousins are there. Turuva is going there because Wests are the top bidder. Don't kid yourself that there is any other reason.
If that’s true and the reported amount is true then we have failed - because Turuva was more than worth 500-550

particularly when you see our stocks

and if we couldn’t fit him under the cap with our shit sandwich of three quarter stocks, then this is a failure by coach and management

excellent point Pou

Tiger5150

Bench
Merkins who grew up in the same house I understand, but nobody goes to a club because their cousins are there. Turuva is going there because Wests are the top bidder. Don't kid yourself that there is any other reason.
And yet Dragons offered him $150K pa more.......I would think that would make THEM top bidder?

What was the reason he didnt go to Parra?

Legal Eel

Juniors
I mean inside the red zone, where teams are more structured. Obviously no spine player ever 'only' attacks one side of the field, but teams have a structure and it usually involves one spine player playing between two others. Mostly it's the fullback and five-eighth who are split, which allows them to build familiarity with their edge. Yes there are exceptions:

Storm: Hughes (R) and Munster (L) are split with Papenhuyzen floating both sides.
Sharks: Hynes plays very central with Trindall and Kennedy both floating.
Seagulls: DCE plays in the middle with Brooks and Trbojevic floating, but Brooks' highlights are overwhelmingly on the left while Trbojevic's are on the right.
Broncos: Reynolds plays on the right with Mam on the left and Walsh floating. They prefer to shift left.
Bunnies: I can't work out what their structure is just from watching. It probably depends on how Latrell Mitchell is feeling on the day.
Eels: our structure is up there with Souths'. Last year we were generally Gutherson (L), Moses (R) but this year we are all over the place.

But for most teams it's the 6 and the 1 who are usually split left/right, when they get closer to the opposition tryline, as I said:

Dolphins: Tabuai-Fidow (L), Nikorima (R)
Panthers: Luai (L), Edwards (R)
Roosters: Keary (L), Tedesco (R)
Raiders: Strange (L), Rapana/Stewart (R)
Bulldogs: Burton (L), Taafe/Tracey (R)
Cowboys: Dearden (L), Drinkwater (R)
Dragons: Flanagan (L), Sloan (R)
Warriors: TMM (L), CNK (R)
Tigers: Galvin (L), Bula (R)
Knights: Ponga (L), Gamble (R)
Titans: Brimson (L), Boyd (R)

If you looked at a heat map it would show them concentrated on these sides of the field. That doesn't mean they never go where they see an opportunity, but if all the playmakers overload to one side and the play breaks down, there is suddenly no merkin ready to go for a quick shift to the other side. So it makes sense for them to remain where they're 'supposed to be'. There is also the fact that not every team gets into its red zone shape exactly 20m out from the tryline. The teams with the best edges tend to get into attacking shape further out while the teams with weaker edges do it closer to the tryline. Because they all play to their strengths, and their strengths aren't all the same.
Excellent post Pou - your Asperger’s comes in handy here

excellent analysis

the only thing you may regret is that your post has highlighted the abject failure of our coaching staff to put together an effective attacking structure

Tiger5150

Bench
I mean inside the red zone, where teams are more structured. Obviously no spine player ever 'only' attacks one side of the field, but teams have a structure and it usually involves one spine player playing between two others. Mostly it's the fullback and five-eighth who are split, which allows them to build familiarity with their edge. Yes there are exceptions:

Storm: Hughes (R) and Munster (L) are split with Papenhuyzen floating both sides.
Sharks: Hynes plays very central with Trindall and Kennedy both floating.
Seagulls: DCE plays in the middle with Brooks and Trbojevic floating, but Brooks' highlights are overwhelmingly on the left while Trbojevic's are on the right.
Broncos: Reynolds plays on the right with Mam on the left and Walsh floating. They prefer to shift left.
Bunnies: I can't work out what their structure is just from watching. It probably depends on how Latrell Mitchell is feeling on the day.
Eels: our structure is up there with Souths'. Last year we were generally Gutherson (L), Moses (R) but this year we are all over the place.

But for most teams it's the 6 and the 1 who are usually split left/right, when they get closer to the opposition tryline, as I said:

Dolphins: Tabuai-Fidow (L), Nikorima (R)
Panthers: Luai (L), Edwards (R)
Roosters: Keary (L), Tedesco (R)
Raiders: Strange (L), Rapana/Stewart (R)
Bulldogs: Burton (L), Taafe/Tracey (R)
Cowboys: Dearden (L), Drinkwater (R)
Dragons: Flanagan (L), Sloan (R)
Warriors: TMM (L), CNK (R)
Tigers: Galvin (L), Bula (R)
Knights: Ponga (L), Gamble (R)
Titans: Brimson (L), Boyd (R)

If you looked at a heat map it would show them concentrated on these sides of the field. That doesn't mean they never go where they see an opportunity, but if all the playmakers overload to one side and the play breaks down, there is suddenly no merkin ready to go for a quick shift to the other side. So it makes sense for them to remain where they're 'supposed to be'. There is also the fact that not every team gets into its red zone shape exactly 20m out from the tryline. The teams with the best edges tend to get into attacking shape further out while the teams with weaker edges do it closer to the tryline. Because they all play to their strengths, and their strengths aren't all the same.

Galvin plays both sides in their 20m

Legal Eel

Juniors
And yet Dragons offered him $150K pa more.......I would think that would make THEM top bidder?

What was the reason he didnt go to Parra?

Stupidly no offer.

tigers have got a good one and are building nicely - probably need a good backrower, a proper first grade front rower to complement the existing and one more genuine centre

Soto

Bench
150K more if he plays fullback
Sloan and Bula are both very good fullbacks and will only get better as both young and continue to improve.
Turuva played fullback in the lower grades. Anyway you look at it this is an astute signing by the Tigers. Applaud them for continuing to sign good players...genuine first graders with rep honours and GF wins

Delboy

First Grade

the phantom menace

First Grade
Drinking Alone Hip Hop GIF by Zak G

hindy111

Post Whore
The RSL is the absolute worst place to be on Anzac Day. I prefer to just go to the pub with my mates and talk shit about whoever didn't turn up.

I walked past a pub and it was LOUD. Had a couple of young pecker heads make a smart arse remark as I was walking also. So instead I went for Thai. f**k the pub

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Excellent post Pou - your Asperger’s comes in handy here

excellent analysis

the only thing you may regret is that your post has highlighted the abject failure of our coaching staff to put together an effective attacking structure
Why would I regret that? I agree we suck this year, I just disagree that we've always sucked. Just because we are losing now doesn't vindicate every merkin's whinging from previous seasons. These are new problems.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I walked past a pub and it was LOUD. Had a couple of young pecker heads make a smart arse remark as I was walking also. So instead I went for Thai. f**k the pub
Go to a pub in a more upmarket area with wealthy older people. In Sydney that's somewhere like the Oaks, not places around Newtown.