What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Appreciation thread

Cliffhanger

Coach
Shoes can definitely be run into the ground IMO, although given you are experiencing some pain in the legs of late the reduced cushioning you're getting from running with worn shoes might be a contributing factor?

I'm on my 4th pair of runners in the past 18 months personally. First 2 replaced after about 500km or running in each, while the 3rd pair I managed to do 1000km in before I bit the bullet and swapped em out. I probably could have run further in a lot of them but I am a sucker for shiny new shoes :p

In contrast my dad kept the same pair of Brooks runners for about 3-4 years back when he used to run 100+km per week (he would to buy black silicon from Mitre 10 and use it to patch and holes in the soles!) so you can certainly keep the same pair of runners for a lot longer than what most shoe stores or personal trainers will tell you

I am going to order another pair of the shame shoe soon, hopefully wear them in a bit before these ones totally fall apart.

This is what they look like after seven months (usually my shoes only last 3)

View attachment 4758

View attachment 4759

Danish

Referee
Soles don't look so bad but Jesus the sides are cut up to hell.... Might need to trim the toenails maybe :p

Duct tape and they are like new. At least until you break in the new pair that is.

Danish

Referee
Havent run in the last few weeks due to ITB pain. Basically been getting through soccer on the weekend then recovering. No games between now and city to surf so hopefully pull it together and get through that in a reaosnable time.

ITB is the biggest pain in the arse, having gone through a bad bout of it last year dont wish that on anyone.

2 weeks till race day so hopefully you can recover enough to give it a good shake

Snoochies

First Grade
Last Monday I did my first 10k run ever and yesterday I attempted it again and even though I still made it, it was alot harder than last week. Felt like my calf muscles were going to pop open and even today are extremely sore. I happened to be at the doc yesterday and he said dehydration might be the cause which could be true as I didn't drink too much water prior to my run.

Thoughts?

Cliffhanger

Coach
My first guess would be either you didn't hydrate properly or fuel up properly.

Second guess would be you used different shoes.

Red Bear

Referee
ITB is the biggest pain in the arse, having gone through a bad bout of it last year dont wish that on anyone.

2 weeks till race day so hopefully you can recover enough to give it a good shake
Yeah I know, right ITB flared up badly after Sydney Half last year and took along time to be right to play soccer and then another couple of months where all I could do was get through soccer and recover.

Once I was finally getting fit again after a few months of increased milage I tore ankle ligaments in February, then getting fit again and I did my mates fitness study for his honours project and left ITB flared up, now trying to manage that.

Frustrating 14 months or so

Snoochies

First Grade
Anyone know of a decent sprint workout? Am looking at doing it during my lunch break down at the local footy ground.

Red Bear

Referee
Currently reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, really good, interesting book, a few around here would probably appreciate it!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Bought new shoes yesterday and took them for a test run, easily did a PB for 14km, feeling a bit more confident about my first City2Surf in a couple of weeks now. Anyone else doing the Bay Run next weekend as a warmup?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
How come you can run in new shoes straight away? I have to break mine in for a week before running in them.

Probably because my old shoes were so terrible :lol:

Really should've done a short run first or walked around in them a bit but they felt good so I decided to go for it a bit.

Danish

Referee
I buy the same model shoe every time so can run in them pretty much straight away.

I wouldn't run an event without having a weeks worth of training in them though just so they feel normal by the time the race rolls round

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I buy the same model shoe every time so can run in them pretty much straight away.

I wouldn't run an event without having a weeks worth of training in them though just so they feel normal by the time the race rolls round

I pretty much realised it was two weeks til C2S and thought "oh shit, better get those new shoes now and start breaking them in!" feet are a tad sore today I must admit, did a 7km slow recovery run and was feeling pretty stiff.

Red Bear

Referee
ran 9.7 km in 41 minutes 30 this arvo, training pretty quickly. Knee is f**king sore though, hopefully back to runnable state on Sunday. Just been running/playing soccer through my ITB pain of late

Danish

Referee
For recovering from ITB thats not a bad time at all. 4:15/km pace or so which is nicely motoring.

Took delivery of my Nike Lunaracers yesterday for the C2S this weekend....

Been struck down with the flu the last week and only just ok to run today so doesn't give me much time to run in them before the race but I've been wearing them around the office and they feel pretty damned comfortable. Light as anything as well :D

Danish

Referee
City2Surf completed. 59:27 :D

Achieved my sub-60 goal, but know I could have run faster as I've been struck down with flu the last couple weeks and wa still fairly clogged up in the chest today.

Setting a goal to make the preferred cut off next year of 52:00. Training starts Monday...

Angry_eel

First Grade
Did my first ever City2Surf today. Did about An hour and 26. Im not much of a runner but trained well in the last 3 months. Its actually got me into an habit of running. I will probably do the Ryde river 10K next month.

Red Bear

Referee
I did 58:29 for city2surf, which was pretty good considering it was the furthest i'd ran since Sydney half in 2011. Think i've got a faster run than that in me though, ran a bit hard last wednesday, calves were feeling it in the middle section and blew up a little bit there.

Also couldnt really push hard down the big downhill with 2 km to go, stupid ITB.

Gonna get through soccer season and tough mudder and then have a bit of a lay off and get this knee right so I can really boost the miles over summer.

Latest posts