What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Gareth67

First Grade
Time to strike and go all out for Hasler. Both teams need a change and Hasler, who has gone all the way previously as a coach and player, is ripe for the picking. Dragons won't get a better opportunity than this. We don't have to throw the cheque book at him either right now when he is on the down trend. Logical choice.

Agree , except the part of - we don't have to throw the cheque book at him - we really do not have a very large cheque book to throw at anyone !

Would like him here also , however would Dessie be prepared to go to a club that does not possess the same facilities and finances , not to mention the business acumen and TPA's that the Bulldogs have ?

In short , he will be unable to go out and ' buy the moon ' as he was able to do at both the Bulldogs and also Manly .

I believe that if he did accept the coaching role here at the Dragons , we would see what Des Haslers coaching ability truly is , as he would be starting from scratch , so to speak and without the previously mentioned ' luxuries ' that he was so use to at other clubs .

That in itself would be a tremendous challenge and if successful , would be the mark of a very good coach .

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Forget Cleary. Can't see it happening. I said earlier the planets are aligning for McGregor to get an extension. Any bargaining power Hasler may have had is being eroded the more the Bulldogs continue to play "Dragons footy'. Our board would likely see Hasler as a mirror of McGregor hence no need to change. I pray to all the religious gods I am wrong though.

thebigredv

First Grade
Wait til we lose to either Warriors or the Tigers. The media will have Mary on the chopping block.

Then Doust will come out and defend him, we will beat some team diminished by Origin and Doust will extend his contract. De ja vu.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Waite is 65 similar age to Bennett. When Reddy dumped us as coach Waite came in and did a good job and should have been retained instead of Farrar. We appointed Farrar who was a flop and then horse mad Brown who was more interested in going to the races and punting than focussing on coaching.
Our club was also decimated by the Super League War and proposed merger with Easts which were destabilising and yet Waite still got us to two grand finals in four years. We were a respected side not a laughing stock that has not got to a grand final in five years.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Waite is 65 similar age to Bennett. When Reddy dumped us as coach Waite came in and did a good job and should have been retained instead of Farrar. We appointed Farrar who was a flop and then horse mad Brown who was more interested in going to the races and punting than focussing on coaching.
Our club was also decimated by the Super League War and proposed merger with Easts which were destabilising and yet Waite still got us to two grand finals in four years. We were a respected side not a laughing stock that has not got to a grand final in five years.
And he also hasn't coached a team in a decade. As if he would want to come back and coach at the age of 65.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Come on now. Waite hasn't coached in over a decade and not in the NRL for 15 years.
True mate, but.. he has a deep grit and understanding for the game and I doubt he hasn't been following closely what's been going on. If he puts his hand up to coach again and proves his past, I'd take him all money.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Waite also oversaw the 70-0 MCG carnage which effectively ended his career as an NRL coach.

It sort of sullied his achievements in 1996 & '99.

Brown was a pretty good coach for someone with such limited experience, and he has returned from the ESL far wiser.

I'd have him back in less time it takes to blink.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The next coach should be Jason Demetriou. Without a question of doubt. New breed new thinking new ideas the game has changed so have the techniques of coaches.

Do you really believe Demetriou will uproot his young family from Queensland twice in the space three-years?

He will be the next Broncos' coach.

Saints need someone who's credentialed with NRL experience anyway.

getsmarty

Immortal
Do you really believe Demetriou will uproot his young family from Queensland twice in the space three-years?

He will be the next Broncos' coach.

Saints need someone who's credentialed with NRL experience anyway.

Yep...his name is Mary...that's who we will end up with.

St Georgio

Juniors
Waite also oversaw the 70-0 MCG carnage which effectively ended his career as an NRL coach.

It sort of sullied his achievements in 1996 & '99.

Brown was a pretty good coach for someone with such limited experience, and he has returned from the ESL far wiser.

I'd have him back in less time it takes to blink.
Saints hit back that year beating Melbourne 54-0.
Waite was a great coach for us.
2 GFs 1 ripped off, 53.5% win rate, only to be replaced with a shit coach in Farrar, it absolutely amazing some of the dumbest decision this board of ours makes!

St Georgio

Juniors
Mary tell your fcucking players to hold the ball and play smart. The last ten minutes was rubbish, please McGregor is not the man yet!

Bench
I think the season so far would take the heat of Mary getting booted. We are off to a great start, people say that we are beating teams that should beat us. What my worry is when we start playing the teams we are supposed to beat.
Mann getting only six minutes is still a joke.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I think the season so far would take the heat of Mary getting booted. We are off to a great start, people say that we are beating teams that should beat us. What my worry is when we start playing the teams we are supposed to beat.
Mann getting only six minutes is still a joke.
We still have issues there that are being plastered over by the wins. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed them, but we still have issues in defence, our attack, team selections and use of the interchange. The wins have probably meant he has saved himself from being sacked this season but does not mean his contract should be renewed.

Last edited:

MilanDragon

Juniors
We all perceive the team selection is wrong, however if the team is winning who are we to say the team selection is wrong?

As for the bench, it's crazy wasting Mann there for 73 minutes, however that's the problem you have with a utility on the bench. Normally that utility comes on for 20mins a game to give the Hooker a breather (not for the #7) .. however we have Mcinness playing well and capable of playing 80minutes.

redVinme

Bench
We all perceive the team selection is wrong, however if the team is winning who are we to say the team selection is wrong?

As for the bench, it's crazy wasting Mann there for 73 minutes, however that's the problem you have with a utility on the bench. Normally that utility comes on for 20mins a game to give the Hooker a breather (not for the #7) .. however we have Mcinness playing well and capable of playing 80minutes.

Said in other thread after tonight especially. I'd have aitken on the bench. Move Mann to the centres. Aitken can cover loss of a back if need and does most of his work punching in behind the ruck through the middle pretty effectively
So would be good for 20 or so with good front on defence can cover the middle third

Bench
Aitken's defence is not first grade standard. He comes off his line way to often, McDonald has done the same thing. That needs to be addressed.
Mary's use of the bench is not getting any better, to leave Mann there for four games now with very few minutes is my issue.