What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Banjo2014

Juniors
MCGREGOR: THE BEST SQUAD I'VE COACHED.

Following his recent article in the Daily Telegraph, I've heard that he has a follow up article where he names his all time St George Illawarra Side calling it his "dream team" noting that this side would beat any current NRL team:-

PROPS Jack Bosden and David Gower
HOOKER Shane Pumipi
2nd ROWERS Wade Forrester and Robbie Simpson
LOCK Jamie Fitzgerald
HALF Josh Drinkwater
5/8 Ben Jeffries
CENTRES Dane Nielsen and Lee Hookey
WINGERS Wise Kativereta and Tom Hewitt
FULLBACK Clint Greenshields

BENCH Dean Young, Ben Hornby, Mark Coyne, Matt head

ASST COACH
Anthony Mundine

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
MCGREGOR: THE BEST SQUAD I'VE COACHED.

Following his recent article in the Daily Telegraph, I've heard that he has a follow up article where he names his all time St George Illawarra Side calling it his "dream team" noting that this side would beat any current NRL team:-

PROPS Jack Bosden and David Gower
HOOKER Shane Pumipi
2nd ROWERS Wade Forrester and Robbie Simpson
LOCK Jamie Fitzgerald
HALF Josh Drinkwater
5/8 Ben Jeffries
CENTRES Dane Nielsen and Lee Hookey
WINGERS
Wise Kativereta and Tom Hewitt
FULLBACK Clint Greenshields

BENCH Dean Young, Ben Hornby, Mark Coyne, Matt head

ASST COACH
Anthony Mundine

Lee Hookey ............... your having a laugh!
We would of been better playing a man down.

Crush

Coach
I read the article quoting Mary saying "my fingerprints are all over this team" and thought it was curious. More like it has Millwards fingerprints all over it.
Mary desperately wanted Dugan at fullback, Millward was the one who stood his ground and had the vision to say Dugan is a centre.
If Mary got his way Dugan would be at 1 and Dufty would be looking for a new club.

I read the article quoting Mary saying "my fingerprints are all over this team" and thought it was curious. More like it has Millwards fingerprints all over it.
Mary desperately wanted Dugan at fullback, Millward was the one who stood his ground and had the vision to say Dugan is a centre.
If Mary got his way Dugan would be at 1 and Dufty would be looking for a new club.
Quite simply - McGregor is nothing more than a cardboard cut out.
Too many people involved in coaching the team which is McGregor's fault for accepting it.
Millward is involved up to his eyeballs, Coyne and his football committee put in their 2 cents worth and we have a further 2 assistant coaches in Hornby and Young.
Now Agar is arriving on the scene.
Totally ridiculous setup that exists to mask the basic problem of an unqualified coach.
Can you imagine Bennett of Bellamy accepting this set up?

Crush

Coach
Quite simply - McGregor is nothing more than a cardboard cut out.
Too many people involved in coaching the team which is McGregor's fault for accepting it.
Millward is involved up to his eyeballs, Coyne and his football committee put in their 2 cents worth and we have a further 2 assistant coaches in Hornby and Young.
Now Agar is arriving on the scene.
Totally ridiculous setup that exists to mask the basic problem of an unqualified coach.
Can you imagine Bennett of Bellamy accepting this set up?
I think McGregor knows that he now has a very good football team thanks to Millward. Whether he has the ability to use what he has remains to be seen.

goggles

Juniors
I think McGregor knows that he now has a very good football team thanks to Millward. Whether he has the ability to use what he has remains to be seen.
Unfortunately, we've seen plenty already Crush. It's great to be optimistic, but you also have to live in the real world. We have a very capable squad in the whole; if we do well it will be despite Mary's ability, not because of it.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Unfortunately, we've seen plenty already Crush. It's great to be optimistic, but you also have to live in the real world. We have a very capable squad in the whole; if we do well it will be despite Mary's ability, not because of it.

Yes, while the forward depth is among the best of the NRL, it is one winger and three-quarters (plus hooker) that ultimately lets the whole team down.

Saints are a squad with potential only at this stage.

It will take a credentialed coach to get it all working in unison.

McGregor isn't that bloke, and I've been saying this from day one when he was appointed.

Crush

Coach
Ive always thought that the roster is by far the most important factor in being successful in the nrl. Having a great coach is a bonus but not 100% necessary. So I agree with you here. Its clear that McGregor isnt a great coach but that doesn't mean we can't be very good in a 2018.

BennyV

Referee
Ive always thought that the roster is by far the most important factor in being successful in the nrl. Having a great coach is a bonus but not 100% necessary. So I agree with you here. Its clear that McGregor isnt a great coach but that doesn't mean we can't be very good in a 2018.
There is overwhelming evidence to show that a good coach is far more than 'a bonus'.

But either way - there is an argument as to whether or not McGregor will get us into the 8, but it's safe to say that he doesn't have it in him to take us to a premiership, and that should be the target every year.

There is overwhelming evidence to show that a good coach is far more than 'a bonus'.

But either way - there is an argument as to whether or not McGregor will get us into the 8, but it's safe to say that he doesn't have it in him to take us to a premiership, and that should be the target every year.
In a nut shell - spot on!

Crush

Coach
Nonsense.

Straight Shooter
I don't think so.
2017 Bellamy (great coach)
2016 Flanno (average)
2015 Green (excellent coach)
2014 Madge (out of work)
2013 Robinson (average)
2012 Bellamy (the best)
2011 Des (looking for work)
2010 Bennett (great coach)
Do you see my point?

71saintsimon

Juniors
I don't think so.
2016 Flanno (average)
2014 Madge (out of work)
2013 Robinson (average)
2012 Bellamy (the best)
Do you see my point?
On that list there are two premiership winning coaches unemployed for the life of me I don't know why the dinosaur management havnt swept on des Hasler five gf appearances two wins that's a record mcidiot won't ever dream of having , currently unemployed it wasn't so long des Hasler was ranked along side Craig Bellamy one bad year doesn't change that for me if he was dragons coach now with that roster I believe saints would be headed for a grand final appearance

Gareth67

First Grade
On that list there are two premiership winning coaches unemployed for the life of me I don't know why the dinosaur management havnt swept on des Hasler five gf appearances two wins that's a record mcidiot won't ever dream of having , currently unemployed it wasn't so long des Hasler was ranked along side Craig Bellamy one bad year doesn't change that for me if he was dragons coach now with that roster I believe saints would be headed for a grand final appearance

71 saintsimon, I would be glad to have him at the Dragons in place of Mary . However there have been a few ex- bulldog players who have mentioned about what they consider to be his over reliance of statistics .
I believe it was Josh Reynolds who said that . Even James Graham said how more relaxed he felt here at the training sessions .

Still , imo , he would be the difference between the club making the eight or getting into the top 4 . Who knows , should WIN finally come to the party , we could find him in our Christmas stocking next year ?

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Just read that McGuire now has a job so cross him off the list.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I don't think so.
2016 Flanno (average)
2014 Madge (out of work)
2013 Robinson (average)
2012 Bellamy (the best)
Do you see my point?

On that evidence, it's fair to say that it's far more beneficial to have a "great coach" than not.

I believe that there's plenty of time for Hasler to get over his disappointing tenure with Canterbury, and that Flanagan is better than what you've suggested (irrespective of the drug scandal which unsettled Cronulla).

Both would be serious upgrades on McGregor, then again, so would Mr. Bean.

Crush

Coach
On that evidence, it's fair to say that it's far more beneficial to have a "great coach" than not.

I believe that there's plenty of time for Hasler to get over his disappointing tenure with Canterbury, and that Flanagan is better than what you've suggested (irrespective of the drug scandal which unsettled Cronulla).

Both would be serious upgrades on McGregor, then again, so would Mr. Bean.
Of course it is far more beneficial to have a great coach than not. My point was that you CAN actually win a comp without one. The roster is everything. You need an excellent roster to win a comp, as all the coaches mentioned did have.
Look at Brown, a quality coach according to his record OS but without the team he is getting wooden spoons. Give him a top quality roster and he'd no doubt be in the mix to win a comp.