What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

1st & 10

Juniors
That reply is one of the most smug, dismissive and belittling things I've read. Complete rubbish. Our club should be ashamed.

It's exactly the same response I got . They don't give a crap, so why should I . It hurts me. As a kid I would cry when they lost and the old bexley Pizza Hut restaurant was visited upon a win . Played the game to a higher enough level, with my prime goal to wear the red V (wearing the old penfolds jersey was the greatest, brief but great) But sometimes you must let go.

Zucchini

Juniors
It's exactly the same response I got . They don't give a crap, so why should I . It hurts me. As a kid I would cry when they lost and the old bexley Pizza Hut restaurant was visited upon a win . Played the game to a higher enough level, with my prime goal to wear the red V (wearing the old penfolds jersey was the greatest, brief but great) But sometimes you must let go.
Oh my, that just made me a little teary (and I'm not being funny). You're right - it hurts.

The Doc

Juniors
It has been stated that we can not afford to pay out marys contract.
It has also been reported that Ivan Cleary is being looked at as a coaching director.
If Cleary will be getting paid anyways, whats the problem with just making him coach?
Id rather Mary be paid out and sit at home instead of keeping him at the club f#@king things up.
Either way Cleary will be paid, just put him as coach
Is there something in this equation im missing?

Bench
If you bring in Cleary, then you have him and Mary on big bucks, sack Mary and get Cleary will probably cost the same, but then we would two coaches which would not be healthy

The Doc

Juniors
But why cant his coaching directors salary be his coaching salary?
Same thing really.
Sack mary in the process, we will be paying Cleary either way, just make him coach.

Dea

Juniors
The way Mary uses his bench in games, ie Leilua coming on when the game is gone, why would any young player choose to stay at he club? And those who play NRL keep getting worse eg Ah Mau killed it last year, this year he is nowhere as good. JDB showed potential as a forward, now Mary has him running and passing like a poor quality halfback. (Maybe he will replace Benji next year?)

Move on Mary

Mr Red

First Grade
Any coaching director role whether it be Cleary or not is just another example of our gutless board not wanting to make the hard decisions and sack their golden child Mary.
I've never witnessed someone like Mary who has failed in every role ...cutters coach, attacking coach, assistant coach, first grade coach... However kept getting promoted.

Tuddy

Juniors
First let me say that the board is killing this club.

Now that I've got that out of the way I'd just like to point out that most Aussies love an underdog. If McGregor would only admit he's made mistakes, a lot of mistakes, then maybe I could at least pity him. All he does though is deny all responsibility while pointing fingers in every direction imaginable. Every direction that is except the direction of the St George Illawarra boardroom.

It just shows a complete lack of ownership and accountability.

For that reason alone he must go. Forget the players, he's lost our support, and ultimately, we pay his wages.

Any coaching director role whether it be Cleary or not is just another example of our gutless board not wanting to make the hard decisions and sack their golden child Mary.
I've never witnessed someone like Mary who has failed in every role ...cutters coach, attacking coach, assistant coach, first grade coach... However kept getting promoted.

Remember his run in the strength & conditioning role/fitness director? Worst period of injuries our club ever experienced.

Straight Shooter

BennyV

Referee
It has also been reported that Ivan Cleary is being looked at as a coaching director.
If Cleary will be getting paid anyways, whats the problem with just making him coach?
Id rather Mary be paid out and sit at home instead of keeping him at the club f#@king things up.
The missing piece is that a portion of our board of directors are mates with a Mary, thus they don't want to sack him.

grouch

First Grade
The missing piece is that a portion of our board of directors are mates with a Mary, thus they don't want to sack him.
Yep. I think they've shown numerous times a preference to look after their mates in lieu of making smart business decisions. Just add this to the list.

I retain hope that Ivan Cleary isn't silly enough to agree to this. As usual, we need someone else to make the smart calls for us.

Zucchini

Juniors
Does anyone have anything concrete on Cleary or is it just media/fan hype? Has anyone "in the know" heard anything?

I'm not convinced Cleary is the personality type we need given the current playing group seem to have lost themselves so much. He seems a bit meek to me. I think we need Toovey - passionate, great football brain, tough as they come and most importantly not afraid to make the hard decisions - ballsy. Whether either want to come to this sinking ship is, of course, another matter.....

Last edited:

rainman44

Bench
It is called a board power struggle and yes it is killing us.

The Doc

Juniors
I think the board is scared of the backlash they will get that they made the wrong choice in picking mary.
When in actual fact they might get a little tiny pat on the back for having the balls to say "we got it wrong, time to fix it up".
We need to see some signs that improvements are taking place.
Why pay Cleary to be a coaching director, we are paying him, just make him coach.
The first sign we need to see is mary gone.
I can handle no major player signings for 2017 if mary is gone.
I cant however handle mary still there in 2017. There is no way on gods green earth anyone can justify mary retaining his position for 2017.
A new coach will enable us to attract new players, might be in 2018 we get those players but at we know we will get them

And a new coach might even unearth some talented juniors from within to minimise the amount of new players needed.
They say baby steps, one step at a time, well first step needs to be replacing Mcgregor imo.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Good move getting Cleary in. Will use Mary to start implementing some of his methods. THen when the year is up and Mary is gone Cleary will have his methods in place and can focus on the cattle for 2018. Plus they can get Cleary at the club before anyone else and for him to join it will probably be on that basis that he takes over after 12 months. CLeary is a smart man and would not take on a gig short term without nothing in it for him. He will probably be in charge with Mary just their to bide his time.

He has left the Panthers and Warriors in good shape and is great at developing juniors. Toovey left on bad terms. The players and the people in charge hated him how can that be good. I am sure if he was that good they would have kept a MANLY Legend longer. He was not just a coach looking for a gig, he was Manly's favourite son for a while so to be booted he must have been bad. Similar to Mary. An Illawarra great who I am sure they would have loved for him to succeed but unfortunatly is not turning out.

Smurf

Juniors
RLW
Not sure how to do the link

DROPPED Dragons five-eighth Benji Marshall has reportedly been told he will earn a recall to first grade in round 26 by coach Paul McGregor, a decision that RLW Editor-in-Chief believes is ludicrous.

Young playmaker Drew Hutchison will get the chance to partner Gareth Widdop in the halves this weekend but what happens if he has a great game? Does he still get dropped?

If Marshall does earn a recall in round 26 at the expense of Hutchison it will be McGregor’s weakest move yet – as it represents a mentor who is hedging his bets and using the 21-year-old as pawn in some kind of weird Benji game.

TruSaint

Referee
RLW
Not sure how to do the link

DROPPED Dragons five-eighth Benji Marshall has reportedly been told he will earn a recall to first grade in round 26 by coach Paul McGregor, a decision that RLW Editor-in-Chief believes is ludicrous.

Young playmaker Drew Hutchison will get the chance to partner Gareth Widdop in the halves this weekend but what happens if he has a great game? Does he still get dropped?

If Marshall does earn a recall in round 26 at the expense of Hutchison it will be McGregor’s weakest move yet – as it represents a mentor who is hedging his bets and using the 21-year-old as pawn in some kind of weird Benji game.

Wrong way around mate.
Mary had MANY chances to try Drew and many others during the season.

One thing i will agree with you, is that Mary is trying to save his job.

When benji was injured, why didnt Mary bring Drew into the equation?
Now, with season gone, he ridicules a great NRL legend like Benji ?

Poor form from a coach who is way out of his depth.

Marshall , yes has had a poor season.. He has also had a stellar career. To drop him for a non event is desperation at best.

This neither benefits Hutch nor does it show respect to a true NRL champ.

I have backed Mary for some time.. That time is up.

Benji was man enough to say " Dragons dont owe me anything " Like him or not, he is Mary's pawn to save his job.

Credibility .. Marshall > Mary.

Latest posts