What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints about to go out in straight sets....new balls please

SilentAssassin

Juniors
I'm getting sick of the Dragons fans whinging about the Finals system. You f**king lost, deal with it. You win finals games and then you get rewarded. You should be all happy that you get to run around for one more week.

Andrew Johns was whinging about it today. Pretty sure he's not a Dragon supporter. I don't think you will find too many people who wouldn't rather the AFL set-up.

Kenny Powers

Juniors
How long as the finals sysyem been in place, 10 years? Now that the minor premiers are getting knocked off everyone starts complaining. If you are good enough you will get exactly what you deserve. The Dragon's had a home final against the 8th place team to earn a week off, they had plenty of advantages yet they lost the game. They were simply not good enough but get another chance. Manly weren't good enough either, and we are left with the 6 best teams in the comp. I am happy with the system.

grandorient

Bench
Kenny, Kenny, Kenny,

Enough my lad, I respect your point of view, but don't agree with it.

The complete finals system needs reworking back to 5 or 6 teams, neither the Mac or AFL is great, but unfortunately, or fortunately dependent on your point of view, it won't change due to the dollars involved.

GO

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
In the AFL 7th and 8th went out in week one, 5th and 6th in week 2, and so far 3rd has been knocked out this week with most likely 4th being knocked out today.

Now is that an indication of the supremacy of the AFL system or perhaps the closeness of the NRL competition in comparison to the AFL.

I'll go with the latter.

adamkungl

Immortal
In the AFL 7th and 8th went out in week one, 5th and 6th in week 2, and so far 3rd has been knocked out this week with most likely 4th being knocked out today.

Now is that an indication of the supremacy of the AFL system or perhaps the closeness of the NRL competition in comparison to the AFL.

I'll go with the latter.

It's an indication of Parra's amazing form really

mongoose

Coach

I'll go with the latter.

Since the mcintyre system came in the minor premiers have made the GF 8 out of 10 times and teams outside the top 4 have made the GF on only 2 occasions. I thinks it's doing a pretty good job.

Vic Mackey

Referee

I'll go with the latter.

both systems are the same, you win, you make the grand final.

1st and 2nd get a massive advantage in the mcintrye system. in this mcintrye system they have to beat 8th to get a week off. in the afl one they have to beat 4th to get a week off.

i know which id prefer if i came 1st.

dollyhands

Juniors
The system is fundamentally flawed because it rewards teams who are inconsistent. Teams just need to be in good form at the time, and instantly they are rewarded, even if they were sh*thouse for most of the comp. If we had a comp with 20+ teams, then the mcintyre system would be great, because you'd need to win at least 60% of your games to make the finals, which means you were pretty consistent. As it stands at the moment, you can get teams who have a good 5 week run into the finals, and if they get past that first week, they are on equal terms, even if they were terrible for most of the season.

The McIntyre system works when you don't have half your comp qualifying for the finals. There is some genuine competition for that top 8 in that case. As it stands you can have teams winning 10-12 more games than 8th place but if they have an off day in a final, automatically that is wiped. It rewards inconsistency. If you come in the bottom 4, you should have the hardest run ALL the way through the finals. 1 or 2 games does not wipe a season of poor performance IMO. I've held that stance ever since it came in, whether we were in the top 4, bottom 4 or outside the 8.

It should be 1 v 4, 2 v 3, 5 v 8, 6 v 7. Winners of bottom 4 play losers of top 4, at their home region or venue. Then winners of that progress to semis, then to grand final.
If Parra make the GF they would have had to beat 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get there, but they shouldn't of had a home game. Hate the McIntyre system, hate Dragons but they should have home game tonight as the Titans should of last night.

Eelectrica

Referee
If their is one thing I'd change about the system it's the way home advantage rule works. Change that for next year. If you're team 7 or 8 you really should have as tough a team as possible and if good enough to overcome that then nothing more needs to be said.

I think Parra would have won anywhere last night though. Defence just too good.

adamkungl

Immortal
Imo the winners should have all the advantage.
Change the system and you will have just as many people whinging next year

badav

Bench
People will whinge no matter the system

Saints have not been hard done by. In consecutive weeks they will have played 8th and 6th.

If you lose at home against the 8th place team in finals week 1, i dont really see how or why you should maintain an advantage. They are still around this week and playing a team in the bottom half of the 8.

Just because you finish minor premiers does not mean that there should be a free ride straight to the G/F.

BrisVegas

Juniors
saints down a set and a break

can they come back?

Not with a rested Kenny, Clinton and Taylor to come on in the final 30 minutes.

... and Setu is in for another Broncos try. It is simply a matter of by how much now.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
How dumb have the Dragons been from start to finish? Massive chokers this final series, got nobody to blame but themselves.

They withstood the early onslaught and then took a dumbass penalty goal. They then got it back to 12-6 and were well on top in the early exchanges until a couple of dumb plays handed the Broncos field position and a try.

Dragons have seriously butchered their own chances more than any other team has beaten them.

Latest posts