What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2024

Nutz

Bench
What do you make of Kaeo Weekes? Roughly the same age as Savage. Off contract. Probably would prefer to be second choice fullback rather than fourth like he would be if he re-signed with Manly
Weekes is a talented lad for but I was surprised he missed out this week after reasonable trial form, the Raiders going for Ethan Strange instead.
He's a bit like our Lachlan Galvin who is a gun but a bit of a gamble as he's raw.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
After getting flogged in the trial, maybe the drags are the real deal?
Don’t know what there depth is like though?

Last edited:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Koroisau begged Luai to join the Tigers after ‘taxing’ first year as skipper
By Adam Pengilly
March 11, 2024 — 7.45pm

Late last year, the man in charge of leading the Tigers couldn’t help himself when the club was courting his old teammate, Jarome Luai.

Api Koroisau picked up his phone and told Luai, in not too subtle terms, what he thought about the Panthers star weighing up a club record offer to join the Tigers.

“I messaged him saying we needed him,” Koroisau laughs.

And after that?

“At the end of the day, I just kept asking him, ‘Are you coming? Are you coming? Are you coming?’ I think [coach] Benji [Marshall] put in the hard yards there.”

Luai is coming.

He will do so on five-year deal worth more than $6 million, and none are more pleased than the Tigers captain, who will be reunited with his old friend at Penrith in 2025. But that’s then, and Koroisau is about the now.

“Everyone is excited about Romey coming, obviously the calibre of player he is,” Koroisau said. “We’re all excited. But at the same time we’ve been trying to not think too much about it.”

Koroisau left the Panthers after back-to-back premierships in 2022 to join the Tigers. Try as he might, couldn’t lift them off the bottom of the ladder last year.

Without question, he was the club’s most influential player in a rotten season which saw them lose their first seven matches, their coach Tim Sheens by the end of the campaign and their entire board and chief executive before Christmas. That the captain was spared wasn’t a coincidence.

He knew he was going to have to shoulder a big responsibility, but never did Koroisau think that would include playing halfback and kicking goals in the final rounds of 2023.

“It was tough,” Koroisau says. “By the back end, you can’t say or do any more. “The hardest thing was the boys were trying. It had nothing do with effort areas. For me, it was just about doing what I can do and trying to be positive. We knew early on it wasn’t going great. By the back end it was really taxing. I just tried to be there for everyone.

“I enjoyed halfback. You don’t have to do as much tackling, but I don’t think I like the responsibility of trying to call the plays. That’s not me. Pass the ball off the deck is a super easy job for me.”

The Tigers’ long and slow climb back up the NRL ladder will begin in Canberra on Saturday when Koroisau leads Marshall’s team in their first competition match of 2024 against the Raiders. They had the bye in the opening round.

Over summer, Koroisau has already been enthused by the Tigers’ young talents Lachlan Galvin, Heath Mason and Tallyn Da Silva. And a rookie coach in Marshall.

“He’s very honest,” Koroisau says. “That’s just how his personality is. He’s very up front and doesn’t beat around the bush. If he thinks something is up, he will tell you how it is. That’s even if he’s not your coach. That’s a very good quality to have. Everyone knows exactly where they stand with Benji.”

Tigerm

First Grade

As Wayne Bennett said, you start listening to the grandstand and you are in a lot of trouble.
————-
I think we are part of the grandstand hahaha

Tigerm

First Grade
NBWT twitter
IMG_0707.jpeg
I think he’s telling them, if you want to stay, perform or perish?

Who do you think they might tap on the shoulder this year, even though it’s early?

I think:
Simpkin, good little player but TDS is the future.
Naden, hasn’t played much footy, but a repeat of the send off could see him gone.
Twal, while a good toiler, just hasn’t got impact.
Tupou, will they let him go early?

Tigerm

First Grade
NBWT
Brent Naden and Solo Saukuru still returning from offseason surgery.

Josh Feledy injured his shoulder against the Warriors.

Justin Olam given an extra week after a knock to his knee against the Dragons.

Latu Fainu returning from hamstring issue.

Tigerm

First Grade

Getting kicked in the head already, when we haven't even played a game yet?

Cronk on Marshal
I don’t buy into the whole ‘it’s a long process’, how long is a piece of string right?” Cronk said.

“I think if you can defend well, if you are in sync and hold on to the footy and you compete on every play, you will win more games than you lose.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Fox on Twitter
Tigers centre set for ankle surgery 🤕
—————-
This would make it 5 centres supposedly unavailable for R3:
Olam
To’a
Naden
Feledy
Saukura

You couldn’t get a bet on for something like this to happen.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Fox on Twitter
Tigers centre set for ankle surgery 🤕
—————-
This would make it 5 centres supposedly unavailable for R3:
Olam
To’a
Naden
Feledy
Saukura

You couldn’t get a bet on for something like this to happen.
Olam & Naden r the only ones of NRL std

macnaz

Staff member
When are the nrl going to sell tickets to the general public for the Easter Monday game. I lost a bet and have to buy tickets but no way on my life am I going to purchase an eels membership just to get tickets to a regular season game. Grubs
Sounds as though they are just as sleazy as our club 👍🏻

Ron's_Mate

Bench
‘BS on every level’: Why Benji has been caught in the crossfire
By Michael Chammas
March 19, 2024 — 5.00am

It’s not uncommon for Wests Tigers fans to think there’s an agenda against them. The conspiracy theorists wearing Tigers jerseys will tell you that because they rate so well with readers, media organisations see them as the Taylor Swift of NRL clubs.

That’s partly true. There are very few fanbases that devour content like success-starved Wests Tigers fans who, after more than a decade in the doldrums, struggle to tell the hero from the villain.

But on this occasion they may have a point. Was it coincidence that leading into Benji Marshall’s first game in charge of his beloved Tigers, a News Corp article questioning his work ethic appeared online just 48 hours before he was to front his first press conference?

The Tigers don’t think so, nor does Marshall.

The Tigers are angry about is what they deem an attempt to undermine him by a disgruntled ex-employee who has made no secret of his views on Marshall’s coaching ability – or a perceived lack thereof – to anyone who would care to listen. This columnist included.

We’re not talking about former chief executive Justin Pascoe or ex-chairman Lee Hagipantelis.

We’re talking about the feud between Marshall and former recruitment manager Scott Fulton, the son of rugby league immortal Bob Fulton.

Scott Fulton, in his time at the Tigers before he departed following the arrival of new CEO Shane Richardson in January, raised internally the same concerns about Marshall’s work ethic that were mentioned in The Daily Telegraph article last week.

Marshall has been around the game a long time and knows who speaks to whom. It’s why he, and the Tigers hierarchy, are convinced Fulton has been trying to undermine him.

“We’ve got our agenda and we’re working towards it,” new Tigers boss Shane Richardson said on Monday.

“We’re not going to be blown off our path by criticism that is just not true. We just keep going forward. It’s just bullshit on every level. At the end of the day, in my experience with coaches for over 30 years, Benji is as diligent and committed to it as anyone.”

Fulton, when contacted by this masthead on Monday, declined to comment when asked if he’d passed on the information to reporters.

Tension between Fulton and Marshall extends back to the time of his appointment, which was orchestrated by the club’s former management without consulting Marshall or Tim Sheens.

They’ve been clashing ever since. Fulton, who grew up at Manly knowing only the hard-nosed approach to coaching of his father and later Des Hasler, struggled to comprehend Marshall’s contemporary methods.

Marshall, meanwhile, thought Fulton was trouble, because he espoused a style of coaching the Tigers had rebelled against under Michael Maguire, who tried to instil an intensity that didn’t work with the playing roster. Marshall was one of them.

Marshall, having watched the impact Maguire’s coaching style had on his teammates, is doing things differently.

A more relaxed approach has been misconstrued as an unwillingness to dedicate the time required to be successful.

A commitment to his family to be present when he’s at home has been interpreted as a distraction. It couldn’t be further from the message Marshall, who grew up without a father, is trying to convey to his young players who idolise him.

“Because he doesn’t work 14 hours a day and wants he and his players to have a family life, it’s a good thing not a bad thing,” Richardson said. “I wish I had learnt that 20 years earlier. It would have saved me a lot of grief in my own personal life. What he’s trying to do is instil a balance between life and work and I think he’s got it.

“I’ve seen Madge [Michael Maguire], I’ve seen Anthony Seibold, I’ve seen Jason Taylor … I’ve seen them all. At the end of the day, there is no one, in my time, that is more thorough and organised than Benji is. Somewhere between Madge and Wayne Bennett is Benji, and that’s not a bad thing.”

This isn’t a defence of Marshall. For the record, he hasn’t picked up this columnist’s calls in almost two years. It’s an insight into the machinations of how the rugby league news cycle tends to work.

The first issue between Marshall and Fulton revolved around the pursuit of enigmatic Sea Eagles forward Josh Schuster.

Marshall was adamant he did not want him at the club despite Fulton’s long-standing relationship with both Schuster and his manager Mario Tartak, who eventually secured an $800,000-a-season deal for his client to remain at Manly despite little interest elsewhere in his services.

Tartak, who used to manage Marshall as a player, was the one who recommended Fulton for the job at the Tigers.

Marshall later learned that Tartak and Daniel O’Loughlin, the agent of Tigers forward Stefano Utoikamanu, had organised a meeting with Hagipantelis to raise concerns about the development of their players under the Tim Sheens-Marshall coaching regime.

The agents sought assurances from the club that there would be change within the coaching staff for next season in response to concerns their players had raised. They also raised doubts over sending other players to the club under the current structure.

Within weeks, Sheens was gone as part of a coaching shake-up that culminated in Marshall being handed the top job a year earlier than planned.

It also led to the signature of highly regarded brothers Latu and Samuela Fainu, both managed by Tartak and who had previously been recruited to Manly by Fulton. Jayden Sullivan, another Tartak client, would also sign with the Tigers soon after.

Sullivan, who was replaced in the second half of the Tigers loss to Canberra, is on a deal worth $600,000 in the final years of the contract. His future is uncertain with Jarome Luai on his way to Tiger Town and expected to partner either Latu Fainu or boom rookie Lachlan Galvin in the halves.

Tension between the pair reached its apogee due to the signing of halfback Aiden Sezer over Jack Cogger. Fulton wanted Cogger but the new coach chose the former English Super League player, who is signed with Marshall’s manager Matt Desira.

Marshall believed Fulton’s godfather, Peter Peters, had intimated on radio that he preferred to pursue the signature of Sezer because Marshall owned a 15 per cent share in Desira’s company, a claim the manager denies.

That incident came just weeks after Desira met with the club to raise concerns about Fulton’s role.

Ever since Fulton departed in January during a heated phone call with Richardson, the club has been expecting blowback.

Fulton had discredited Marshall’s coaching ability. They’ve responded in recent weeks by cutting ties with some of the young players Fulton brought to the club.

The noise, as has long been the case at the Wests Tigers, is loud. No one knows that more than Marshall.

The answer is simple: Win and the noise goes away. That, as has long been the case at the Wests Tigers, is sometimes easier said than done.

Tigerm

First Grade
‘BS on every level’: Why Benji has been caught in the crossfire
By Michael Chammas
March 19, 2024 — 5.00am

It’s not uncommon for Wests Tigers fans to think there’s an agenda against them. The conspiracy theorists wearing Tigers jerseys will tell you that because they rate so well with readers, media organisations see them as the Taylor Swift of NRL clubs.

That’s partly true. There are very few fanbases that devour content like success-starved Wests Tigers fans who, after more than a decade in the doldrums, struggle to tell the hero from the villain.

But on this occasion they may have a point. Was it coincidence that leading into Benji Marshall’s first game in charge of his beloved Tigers, a News Corp article questioning his work ethic appeared online just 48 hours before he was to front his first press conference?

The Tigers don’t think so, nor does Marshall.

The Tigers are angry about is what they deem an attempt to undermine him by a disgruntled ex-employee who has made no secret of his views on Marshall’s coaching ability – or a perceived lack thereof – to anyone who would care to listen. This columnist included.

We’re not talking about former chief executive Justin Pascoe or ex-chairman Lee Hagipantelis.

We’re talking about the feud between Marshall and former recruitment manager Scott Fulton, the son of rugby league immortal Bob Fulton.

Scott Fulton, in his time at the Tigers before he departed following the arrival of new CEO Shane Richardson in January, raised internally the same concerns about Marshall’s work ethic that were mentioned in The Daily Telegraph article last week.

Marshall has been around the game a long time and knows who speaks to whom. It’s why he, and the Tigers hierarchy, are convinced Fulton has been trying to undermine him.

“We’ve got our agenda and we’re working towards it,” new Tigers boss Shane Richardson said on Monday.

“We’re not going to be blown off our path by criticism that is just not true. We just keep going forward. It’s just bullshit on every level. At the end of the day, in my experience with coaches for over 30 years, Benji is as diligent and committed to it as anyone.”

Fulton, when contacted by this masthead on Monday, declined to comment when asked if he’d passed on the information to reporters.

Tension between Fulton and Marshall extends back to the time of his appointment, which was orchestrated by the club’s former management without consulting Marshall or Tim Sheens.

They’ve been clashing ever since. Fulton, who grew up at Manly knowing only the hard-nosed approach to coaching of his father and later Des Hasler, struggled to comprehend Marshall’s contemporary methods.

Marshall, meanwhile, thought Fulton was trouble, because he espoused a style of coaching the Tigers had rebelled against under Michael Maguire, who tried to instil an intensity that didn’t work with the playing roster. Marshall was one of them.

Marshall, having watched the impact Maguire’s coaching style had on his teammates, is doing things differently.

A more relaxed approach has been misconstrued as an unwillingness to dedicate the time required to be successful.

A commitment to his family to be present when he’s at home has been interpreted as a distraction. It couldn’t be further from the message Marshall, who grew up without a father, is trying to convey to his young players who idolise him.

“Because he doesn’t work 14 hours a day and wants he and his players to have a family life, it’s a good thing not a bad thing,” Richardson said. “I wish I had learnt that 20 years earlier. It would have saved me a lot of grief in my own personal life. What he’s trying to do is instil a balance between life and work and I think he’s got it.

“I’ve seen Madge [Michael Maguire], I’ve seen Anthony Seibold, I’ve seen Jason Taylor … I’ve seen them all. At the end of the day, there is no one, in my time, that is more thorough and organised than Benji is. Somewhere between Madge and Wayne Bennett is Benji, and that’s not a bad thing.”

This isn’t a defence of Marshall. For the record, he hasn’t picked up this columnist’s calls in almost two years. It’s an insight into the machinations of how the rugby league news cycle tends to work.

The first issue between Marshall and Fulton revolved around the pursuit of enigmatic Sea Eagles forward Josh Schuster.

Marshall was adamant he did not want him at the club despite Fulton’s long-standing relationship with both Schuster and his manager Mario Tartak, who eventually secured an $800,000-a-season deal for his client to remain at Manly despite little interest elsewhere in his services.

Tartak, who used to manage Marshall as a player, was the one who recommended Fulton for the job at the Tigers.

Marshall later learned that Tartak and Daniel O’Loughlin, the agent of Tigers forward Stefano Utoikamanu, had organised a meeting with Hagipantelis to raise concerns about the development of their players under the Tim Sheens-Marshall coaching regime.

The agents sought assurances from the club that there would be change within the coaching staff for next season in response to concerns their players had raised. They also raised doubts over sending other players to the club under the current structure.

Within weeks, Sheens was gone as part of a coaching shake-up that culminated in Marshall being handed the top job a year earlier than planned.

It also led to the signature of highly regarded brothers Latu and Samuela Fainu, both managed by Tartak and who had previously been recruited to Manly by Fulton. Jayden Sullivan, another Tartak client, would also sign with the Tigers soon after.

Sullivan, who was replaced in the second half of the Tigers loss to Canberra, is on a deal worth $600,000 in the final years of the contract. His future is uncertain with Jarome Luai on his way to Tiger Town and expected to partner either Latu Fainu or boom rookie Lachlan Galvin in the halves.

Tension between the pair reached its apogee due to the signing of halfback Aiden Sezer over Jack Cogger. Fulton wanted Cogger but the new coach chose the former English Super League player, who is signed with Marshall’s manager Matt Desira.

Marshall believed Fulton’s godfather, Peter Peters, had intimated on radio that he preferred to pursue the signature of Sezer because Marshall owned a 15 per cent share in Desira’s company, a claim the manager denies.

That incident came just weeks after Desira met with the club to raise concerns about Fulton’s role.

Ever since Fulton departed in January during a heated phone call with Richardson, the club has been expecting blowback.

Fulton had discredited Marshall’s coaching ability. They’ve responded in recent weeks by cutting ties with some of the young players Fulton brought to the club.

The noise, as has long been the case at the Wests Tigers, is loud. No one knows that more than Marshall.

The answer is simple: Win and the noise goes away. That, as has long been the case at the Wests Tigers, is sometimes easier said than done.

Cheers.

“Win and the noise goes away” is so true, although still early, I think that may not be something we may see too often again this year:(

Tigerm

First Grade
Early days, but you would think that they may look to shop Bud at some stage this season, maybe keep Sezer for insurance, we have enough young ones coming through.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
I feel uneasy and it's only Tuesday.
Sharks 40-0
MoM Nicholas Hynes
For us, special mention Lachlan Galvin.
A long woeful season awaits I'm afraid.