What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks fans punting thread

Macca

Coach
My horse is racing tomorrow at Dubbo. Will try to break her maiden in Race 3. Speedy Angel is her name and it's number 16 barrier 10. The emergencies have drawn 2 of the inner barriers so she'll probably jump from 8. She has a great chance against this mob and our expectations are high. Should be at good odds, so have a look at it. :D

fizman

Bench
Thanks McSharkie. If we take your tip we would put $50 on for the place, are you that confident Mate??

Macca

Coach
It won it's barrier trial by 8 lengths. Not against anything good, but that's promising in the country.

Foz

Bench
Good luck McSharkie. Hope it kills them for you.
I had a bit of luck today. Took a double in Adelaide of 6 & 2 (hasnt run yet) but had it with Tabatha. Originally said 6 &1 but it said 1 was scratched so I took 2.
It said 6 and 2 at Bendigo. I left it on and took 6 & 1 in Adelaide again. It took the 2nd time.
You wouldnt believe 6 dead heated for first in the first leg (paid$10.30) in Melbourne and 2 bolted in the second leg(around $3.60). Double paid $45 something.
Then backed the 6 in Adelaide in race 7 and it paid $7.50. A good week on the punt so far.

Morpheus

Juniors
Anything with Speedy in it's name usually ends up running like a mule, I hope your horse upsets that theory ! good luck.

Macca

Coach
Morpheus said:
Anything with Speedy in it's name usually ends up running like a mule, I hope your horse upsets that theory ! good luck.

Typical of you Morpheus. I am surprised you tried to hide your contempt with your best wishes at the end. I don't believe in Jonah's so your post doesn't bother me. Her name os Speedy simply because she is fast. I won't go into sectionals because you will just come back as an ALIAS to refute them.

Morpheus

Juniors
McSharkie, I honestly wish you well and I think you are being a bit thinned skinned in your defensive response to my quip about your horses name.

The reason I make the observation about horses with Speed in their name not being all that fast is because I have backed plenty of them over my years !

I've been around the horse game since George Moore was an apprentice and have seen many horses in my time.

I note you say you have high hopes for your horse today, and I genuinely wish a good result for you, I will have a $10 note on it for a place, as is tradition in our punting club here, and will be riding her home over the final furlong, but please do not get so uptight, this is a punters section of the chat room and we talk like punters, we berate our mates who lose our kitty ( I have been guilty of that ! ) and we cheer our mates who win for us, punting is about opinions mate and you need not bother entering this discussion with a thin skin, that will only ruin the fun little group we have here.

Your 3 year old filly is not what one could say "bred in the bluebloods" and I stick by my statement that "speedy" is perhaps an unfortunate name for her, that does not mean she is a bad horse though. I looked through her breeding and believe that the next 6 months will be your best gauge as to her worth to you as a racer, her early form suggests imaturity as a racehorse which your sire Muhayaa tends to breed in my opinion.

This is not a bad thing depending on the horses trainer and how that imaturity is managed. I know nothing about your horses trainer however it's early history seems to indicate that he is not wishing to rush to horse and may also see her imature side, which points to him knowing what he is doing.

I would not worry about the 6 ( every horse owner is prone to over exageration ! ) length win in her Barrier Trial, as you rightfully point out, a wellington Barrier trial mid year is a pretty rough affair .

However I feel the form that you should get the most encouragment out of is her 5th in open 2yo class at this same track Dubbo. A strong race , I have not seen the video but I imagine she came home late-ish ?

i say this because she is not an out and out sprinter on exposed form, I think that the time to back her for a win will be next start after a solid/grinding style 4th-8th today in a good sized field, over 1200m in a maiden ( fillies and mares only if possible) I think she would be a fair chance in that class of race.

The concern today is the jockey, a roughy by anyones standards, and the fact that Greg ryan has ridden your horse before and chose not to get on her again in this race. Also the fact that jockeys like Matt Cahill , Jezz Penza, Apprentice gav Mc keon, jamie Whitney and dale Jeffries have all taken rides on other horses. this is an indicator of form in country race meets, with name jockeys like those having their first pick of the acceptors, although rather fascinating is the Kehoe, your jockey, has taken your horse over his wifes horse in the same race, with Penza getting on his missus nag.

The following races are coming up that personally, if it were my horse, I would seriously think about nominating her for :-

Gilgandra cup day Sunday Jan 18th ( good day out if you can make the trip)
1200M Maiden Plate-bobs and country cash bonus race $5500 prize money

Orange 23rd Jan
1000m Maiden Plate 3yo and up-$5000 ( not long enough for mine but depending on her run today the trainer may feel she needs another 1000m race

and perhaps the best race for her
wellington January 26th
1100 metres maiden restricted to horses that have had at least 4 starts already
$4000

A low class of race that she really should be well in the market to win, a little extra ground and on the track she won a barrier trial on, yes, I said before that was a weak trial, but 6 lengths would place her in the placings in a dubbo or bathurst strong trial so it is still worth a bit.

Good luck today and I reckon she will be in the race late and with a chance at jagging 3rd place with a good run.

Morpheus

Juniors
I have had a closer look and feel rather silly for the small fact that this horse speedy angel is infact owner/trained ! So I hope you put some thought into those ideas of mine!

I didn't realise you lived out west.

what was the reason behind the late jockey change with Kehoe getting on and who was originally slotted in for the ride ?

I have looked closely at the other starters and they truly are a bunch of bushies ! that of course strengthens any claims your filly has on a place, however on form I would have to outline the race as such :-

1. #4 wild spec

2.# 8 travel bound

3. # 10 Bonzer babe

with a close watch around numbers 13 jestadora and 15 our starline
and of course speedy angel with a top 6 shot.

Morpheus

Juniors
Ryan has turned the tables in race 2 by winning with Cahill riding the 3rd place getter. Penza rode the 2nf place getter.

I have a feeling the big name jockeys are going to have one of those days out west, early results point toward it, let's hope you can upset that trend next race Mc Sharkie .

fizman

Bench
I didn't put any $$$$ on, but if it comes in I will kick myself BIGTIME!!! I think Morph's assessment could be on the mark.

Speedy Angel will pay about $50 the Win and $10 the place on Unitab.

Morpheus

Juniors
That's corect Dean

with 13 finishing 4th Justadora

and 8 finishing 5th

but 8 is protesting the minor placing against the 13.

I picked the winner and 4th and 5th wild spec was the flop in that race for Cahill

Morpheus

Juniors
I wanted to watch the replay before commenting too much on Speedy angels run.

She jumped okay was taken accross towards the fence by the rider. As I expected before the race, she was run off her feet for speed early on and perhaps over raced a little in the blinkers around the 800 metre mark settling worse than midfield and 8 off the leaders.

Then she had a nice run mid stages and I thought it looked good for her to get some luck coming home and show something for next start.

A gorgeous run was offered right up the rail at the 400 metre mark at the top of the straight and I thought she was was going to improve position and run a nice 6th-8th, but the jock had her hard ridden and she failed to respond ( one paced ? ) and would not punch up the rail.

She then plugged home steadlily but did not offer the rider anything by way of a sprint. I could say perhaps a little generously that she held her ground once straightening, although maybe a length or two was conceeded to the forward bunch which finished a good couple of lengths from the rear bunch , of which Speedy Angel was one.

Im sure you are disappointed by the rn Mc Sharkie and would be interested to hear the trainers thoughts after the race to you, did she pull up okay ? and also what the jockey had to say.

As for her future, I hve been where you are before mate, 6 starts now and nothing that even looks like a placing for her, let alone a win. The positives as I see them are :-

She was first up and perhaps a little imrpovement will come with the added fitness she will have gained from that race ( presuming she pulled up sound)

Mid race she seemed to settle and travel nicely, perhaps distance is her go and 1400 -1900m may see an improved showing .

and most importantly, she is , as I said before the race, imature and looked like she did some things wrong in the run, perhaps another run or two and a good long spell will be the world of good for her.

The negatives from that as I see them are :-

She lacks speed.

She is now 6 starts for not much to show and the runs have not indicated she has been unlucky at all.

All of her races have seemed to lack being finished off, this can be a sign that the horse simply does not enjoy racing and does not have the heart to get home.( easily the most frustrating thing I have experienced in the past with my horses, they may have some ability but do not live up to it)

The main thing with horse ownership is to not live on false hope. You seemed to have pinned so many hopes before the run today based on her good win in a barrier trial, but that was before all of her 5 race starts mate and she certainly did not live up to the trial in those.

The classes of race do not get much easier than the ones she has been in for NSW horses, so perhaps a stint in the SA bush would do her the world of good ?

Morpheus

Juniors
AS I thought, cahill and ryan are having good days up at Dubbo, with Penza showing up with a few nice rides for places.

cahill is on a horse called a slick pick next race, he is in fine form and the odds on it are pretty juicy, I think he will run a good race and the way cahill is going how can you resist the $6 or thereabouts ?