What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Sevens squad announced.

wittyfan

Referee
From the Official Site, the 14 man squad is (with three to be omitted):

Russell Aitken
Greg Bird
Paul Franze
Matt Hilder
Andrew Lomu
Ryan McGoldrick
Nathan Merritt
Matt Rieck
Stpehen Ross
Michael Sullivan
Jason Kent
Sam Isemonger
Cameron Ciraldo
Andrew Emelio

There giving the young'ns are run. Good stuff I say. If we get knocked out in the first round of the 7's and win the comp, I settle for the latter.

beerboy

Juniors
i think thats a team that can win it
anyway im happy with those minor throphys (plate bowl etc)

Rieck is born for 7s as well

wittyfan

Referee
El Garbo said:
Captain? Good question. I'd probably give it to Hilder.

Perhaps Isemonger, since he's been at the club the longest. :? Or maybe Birdy after captaining the Junior Kangaroos.

Alan Shore

First Grade
sullyfan said:
El Garbo said:
Captain? Good question. I'd probably give it to Hilder.

Perhaps Isemonger, since he's been at the club the longest. :? Or maybe Birdy after captaining the Junior Kangaroos.

Yep, has to be Isemonger! Solid player and a good clubman.

The Observer

Staff member
I hope the Sharks put players in the numbers that correspond to a position they would play in the 13 a side game. Last year, some teams had players wearing numbers that were completely at odds with their usual position e.g. .

So I'd like to see:
1-7 correspond to the usual backline positions.
8 & 10 for the running forwards
9 for dummy half.

For this squad I foresee the following:
1. Nathan Merritt
2. Matt Rieck
3. Ryan McGoldrick
4. Paul Franze
5. Jason Kent
6. Greg Bird
7. Michael Sullivan
8. Sam Isemonger
9. Matt Hilder
10. Andrew Lomu

I'm not familiar with the other players (with the exception of Emelio)
Russell Aitken (a 6?)
Stpehen Ross
Cameron Ciraldo (not sure about both)
Andrew Emelio (3 or 4)

Shark

Bench
LOL, I wonder if the Coach will make it COMPULSORY for the players who aren't in the squad to attend the tournament this year?

Last year our Dearly Departed Ando insisted that the guys not playing attend all games. Some of them had weddings, christenings etc to go to - As you do, given that their friends and families KNOW that they can't schedule events such as this during the season proper.

That wasn't good enough for Ando though! Great way to get a bit of team morale going!

Still, I hope the guys who aren't taking part attend if they can, to support the 7's players, but it needs to be of their own free will!

Last year our Dearly Departed Ando insisted that the guys not playing attend all games.

Fair enough, really. Cant have some blokes doing all the work and others bludging...quite commendable actually from a bloke who has long been accused of playing favourites.

ali

Bench
Nice looking squad. I'd cut Kent, Sullivan and Isemonger from that squad. Captain to be Hilder. Ciraldo should go well as he is big, mobile with good pace and a slight step and is good at getting his arm free in tackles.

Joker:

Aitken 6,
Ross 3 or 4,
Ciraldo 11, 12 or 13,
Emelio 3 or 4.

bubs

Juniors
Ummm. I might be wrong about this, but haven't they given up the plate and bowl finals for something else this year??

ali

Bench
Yes. One extra pool game on Sunday. No plate and bowl games from memmory, just a final 8 and a another comp for the knocked out International teams.

Booyah

Bench
I'm loving that team. Looks great. Lots of speed and skill.

Even better to see the Fonze playing. I'm also gonna get a closer look at Stephen Ross.

All of you watch Nat Merritt destroy the opposition!