What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Souths go?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Timbo said:
*SIGH* as much as I hate to say it they probobly will get booted again, and this time there will be no recourse.

Their big problem that I can see is that they're junior area, fan base and stadium are all the same as Easts. This creates a problem as when there are such wide open areas screaming for a team, why should one pocket of Sydney have two?

I don't really buy into this argument. The fan-base for clubs like Souths & St George stretch far beyond mere geographical boundaries. I'm sure if you did a postcode survey at the next Souths game you'd find a wide range of areas represented.

As for juniors, Souths hardly "share" an area with Easts - in fact, i think it's the Easts teams that play in the Souths juniors comp.

Souths, and all other clubs, must stay until they decide they cannot support a team in the NRL - natural attrition is the way to go. Not deaths or mergers.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Pantherjim.

Referee
axl rose said:
Ron Jeremy said:
No!!....Souths in form attract big numbers to the games..just need them to start wining and get rid off that bloody Tapp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exactly if they were winning they would be getting 20,000 + but when is it going to happen? been a long wait

Yet Melbourne average a disgusting 5,000 to a home game at Olympic park wheras down the road at the MCG there are 45,000 + attending the local AFL darby between, for example, St. Kilda and North Melbourne. Melbourne are a young club as well, they've even won a premiership and they are still getting sh*thouse crowd figures yet no one except Dennis Fitzgerald has the guts to stand up and say they should be relocated!

Why cut or relocate Souths??? they are a foundation club! I agree there has to be a 16th team on the Gold Coast but not at the expense of Souths or any Sydney club for that matter.

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

EdBurton

Juniors
the kirwan kid said:
Phillips said:
the topic of this thread is a joke, souths should have never been punted in the first place

I started the thread and I'm glad it's created some healthy discussion. The reason I asked this question was not because Souths are losing but because I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for them (know matter how great their history) in this day and age when league needs to take some rapid steps forward. I grew up in Townsville and have spent almost all my 34 years in QLD with the exception of a few years spent working interstate (and yes, I have a soft spot for the Cowboys in case you're wondering!). In this time I have seen AFL grow (sh*te game but very well marketed) and Rugby (ditto ... most of the time at least) make major inroads across the country. I still believe League is the greatest game of all and don't want to see it became all about Sydney and Brisbane. I too can reminisce about the days when the Brisbane Rugby League was full of internationals and so on but that was then and no matter how sad I am that those great teams are mostly overlooked these days I understand that we needed a Brisbane Broncos for the good of the game. I'm not sure if a second SE QLD team is a good idea or not as we've had a couple of cracks at it and neither has worked well. The Broncos are so strong here it would be hard for this new team to garner major support from the public initially. A Central Coast team is a must as those people will support a team no matter how often they win or lose (e.g Cowboys fans). Most of the posts seem to be like this - if you're from NSW you want them to stay or if you're from QLD you're not keen to see them stay (I'm generalising but that's the gist of the posts). Forget where you're from or what team you support and ask yourself what the game needs!

You don't see a light at the end of the tunnel?
Have you looked?
Soths made the Grand Final of the S.G Ball competition this year. It's not much but surely it's at least a light at the end of the tunnell!
The whole time that Souths were out of the comp everyone was saying that Rugby League needed Souths, now that they've lost some games they're not needed anymore. You only have to look at the start of this season when Souths won a whole 2 games and were making back page news! Getting bums on seats at the games and creating great publicity for the game. The league needs a healthy Souths, Souths just need to find a good doctor that's all!

Beaussie

First Grade
If only Souths still had their 80,000 so called supporters who marched down George Street demanding they be readmitted. Bunch of bandwagons protesting for the sake of a protest.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Perth Rabbitohs. Adelaide Rabbitohs. Gold Coast Rabbitohs. Something Brisbane Rabbitohs.

All sound good!

the kirwan kid

Juniors
EdBurton said:
the kirwan kid said:
Phillips said:
the topic of this thread is a joke, souths should have never been punted in the first place

I started the thread and I'm glad it's created some healthy discussion. The reason I asked this question was not because Souths are losing but because I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for them (know matter how great their history) in this day and age when league needs to take some rapid steps forward. I grew up in Townsville and have spent almost all my 34 years in QLD with the exception of a few years spent working interstate (and yes, I have a soft spot for the Cowboys in case you're wondering!). In this time I have seen AFL grow (sh*te game but very well marketed) and Rugby (ditto ... most of the time at least) make major inroads across the country. I still believe League is the greatest game of all and don't want to see it became all about Sydney and Brisbane. I too can reminisce about the days when the Brisbane Rugby League was full of internationals and so on but that was then and no matter how sad I am that those great teams are mostly overlooked these days I understand that we needed a Brisbane Broncos for the good of the game. I'm not sure if a second SE QLD team is a good idea or not as we've had a couple of cracks at it and neither has worked well. The Broncos are so strong here it would be hard for this new team to garner major support from the public initially. A Central Coast team is a must as those people will support a team no matter how often they win or lose (e.g Cowboys fans). Most of the posts seem to be like this - if you're from NSW you want them to stay or if you're from QLD you're not keen to see them stay (I'm generalising but that's the gist of the posts). Forget where you're from or what team you support and ask yourself what the game needs!

Have you looked?
Soths made the Grand Final of the S.G Ball competition this year. It's not much but surely it's at least a light at the end of the tunnell!
The whole time that Souths were out of the comp everyone was saying that Rugby League needed Souths, now that they've lost some games they're not needed anymore. You only have to look at the start of this season when Souths won a whole 2 games and were making back page news! Getting bums on seats at the games and creating great publicity for the game. The league needs a healthy Souths, Souths just need to find a good doctor that's all!

I agree that a healthy Souths is good for the game but I think it's obvious that they have a terminal disease and aren't going to get better. I wasn't aware that they made the SG ball final (congrats) but I think they're still doomed as these kids will go elsewehre if given the opportunity. Craig Wing and Braith Anasta could both be bunnies again if they so desired (which we be great for the team and the game) but they're not playing for them and therein lies the problem - nobody wants to play for the bunnies anymore. It's sad but true

EdBurton

Juniors
the kirwan kid said:
EdBurton said:
the kirwan kid said:
Phillips said:

Have you looked?

I agree that a healthy Souths is good for the game but I think it's obvious that they have a terminal disease and aren't going to get better. I wasn't aware that they made the SG ball final (congrats) but I think they're still doomed as these kids will go elsewehre if given the opportunity. Craig Wing and Braith Anasta could both be bunnies again if they so desired (which we be great for the team and the game) but they're not playing for them and therein lies the problem - nobody wants to play for the bunnies anymore. It's sad but true

The only reason they're not playing for Souths is that there was no Souths to play for. They've gone other places and found (admittedly better) other homes. Wing is a Rooster now, but I doubt he would have gone if Souths were in the competition. Same for Anasta.

DIEHARD

----
South Sydney should stay, they have alot to offer the competition and are capable of getting massive crowds which will also bring bigger crowds from other clubs. Without Souths we will never be able to compete with the AFL in inter club passion and tribalism. We just need to get our house in order, which is a painful and neverending episode. :x :x :x

It's painful being a Souths fan but we sure are loyal.

The Mighty Rabbit said:
Nice to see some great support from fans from a wide range of other teams :)

The simple fact is though, if Souths dont get things into order on and off the field very soon you wont have to worry about punting them, because in my opinion they will die on their own.

And next time there will be no marches.

It's time to get some professionals to run the club

That is exactly what will happen. As sport drifted towards total professionalism. Some clubs didn't realise what was happening and are now stuck. What Wests Tigers have done and the way they have re invented themselves is great for footy. How good would Leichhardt have been on Sunday.

At the moment I don't see much hope for Souths because they don't seem to be making the right decisions off the field. When they came back in they had a groundswell of support from the average Joe league supporter right up to the topof the corporate world. Souths did not use this support and in fact have lost some of it.

They need to drastically change the way they run things there or the league won't have to kick em out they will go voluntarily and that will be a sad end for all the supporters of Souths that rallied behind them and helped the be re instated. Maybe it's time to use that people power to have changes made at the club at boardroom level.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
A couple of chook raffles and she'll be right.
Who needs to perform, when you have history. :?
Just say no.