What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the 2013 WC be in America?

roopy

Referee
I say it should be.
Giving games to cities that have a professional team is one of the few concrete measures the RLIF could take to boost the new competition in the US at little cost.
Cities in the US, such as Jacksonville, have shown that they will put up money to stage events that will draw tourists, and the possibility of 10k from the UK and 10k from Australasia should mean money enough will be available to stage the event - along with a TV deal which factors in reasonable TV times for Aus and UK.

If we use the same stadiums as the US professional league and pay the US administrators to organise the event, with maybe some 'experts' from the RLIF, i believe we will boost the American game at every level, from fans, to players, to officials, to TV audiences and also boost their administration expertise.

roopy

Referee
don't think it would be achievable, still way too early for the States..
They could land on the moon if you gave them four years to plan.

I say that if you gave David Niu, Rich Portale and Robert Balachandran the same deal Colin Love and associates got to organise the 2008 WC they could do it on their ear, especially since we have 'seed money' this time around.

Of Course, the home nation would get an automatic entry.

roopy

Referee
If the WC went to America, 90% of American 'Rugby' fans would get behind it, and gain a fast tracked knowledge of Rugby League.
We are told there are an enormous number of 'Rugby' players in the US, and only a few have a bias against League, so really, there is an audience to tap into.

Coastbloke

Bench
Lol...

Roopy, earlier this morning I was thinking of creating a thread entitled "US to host 2017 WC" but chickened out....

I reckon that if this USNRL goes ahead and is a fair success, then the idea of WC2017 has some real merit...

I do think that 2013 should go to the best bid between Australia or joint hosts England and France...

Since League usually organises International tournaments the day before kick off, there's plenty of time to contemplate 2017...

Chook Norris

First Grade
We are told there are an enormous number of 'Rugby' players in the US, and only a few have a bias against League, so really, there is an audience to tap into.

probably because they don't know what Rugby League is :x

i maintain that US is still way too early, i doubt 10k from Oz would go to an international game overseas anyway

roughyedspud

Coach
2013...no..

lets see how this USNRL pans out,if it goes well then possibly look at 2017...but not before

By the time they are up and running it will be 2010. By the time we can be sure it's not going to fall flt on its face it will be at least 2011. It's just too short a time frame and too risky. I don think though that if there's a pro league established and it proves successful they should host a major international tournament, especially if the Tomahawks can be competitive. Maybe the 4N with the USA as the fourth team in a few years might be the way to go and if that succeeds the WC would be the next step.

If the pro league runs till July it'll be interesting to see what they do with internationals. Surely they will plan something on the back of the first season. I just don't know what that could be at that time of year. They really need some internationals at the end of July or in August with the best Americans from the pro league getting picked. Maybe invite Russia. Maybe it could be Tomahawks v International All-Stars with the best yanks against the best imports. They need to do something. Maybe the World Sevens should go there just before the season starts too. The timing would be about right.

deluded pom?

Coach
I'm in the 2017 camp. It might seem a long way off but a lot of things can happen in that timeframe. If the American comp is going well then I do feel that the Brits and Aussies have to show them some support and the carrot of a WC would be a great incentive.

I would have suggested they HOST the Pacific Cup but I'm not sure playing the likes of Fiji and Tonga would capture the imaginations of Americans. Maybe they should host the Euro Cup. Playing against France, Russia and Ireland would be a great advertisement for the game in the US. They could play Ireland in Boston and France in New York or Philly (or New Orleans!) and Russia in Washington. Better than playing in Widnes and Warrington.

druzik

Juniors
I would have suggested they HOST the Pacific Cup but I'm not sure playing the likes of Fiji and Tonga would capture the imaginations of Americans. Maybe they should host the Euro Cup. Playing against France, Russia and Ireland would be a great advertisement for the game in the US. They could play Ireland in Boston and France in New York or Philly (or New Orleans!) and Russia in Washington. Better than playing in Widnes and Warrington.

This is where having a regular sof tournaments become so important. Things like the Pacific cup/Euro Cup/atlantic cup become inportant for any nation with hosting aspiration to show what they can do. Host one of these, show it can be run, make a profit or at least break even. Then have a 6 and 4 Nations tourney which would be the next step up hosting, with the majority of big teams involved... then obviously you would have the WC hosting aspirations.

Year 0: WC
Year 1: Qualifiers for Euro/Pacific/Atlantic Cups
Year 2: Finals for Euro/Pacific/Atlantic Cups
Year 3: 6N and 4N & Qualifiers for WC.
Year 4: Finals WC

Not only give countries/teams a clear path way to move up through the ranks, it gives also nations hosting aspirations.... they can target certain comps to host.

shiznit

Coach
the idea has abit of merit IMO...

the only problem i have is that it might be abit early to do something drastic with the RLWC.

the fact is the last world cup was really a new foundation for the international game... imo perhaps they should provide a better base for the next couple of competitions before they really branch out...

they could play the WC in the UK and perhaps put a couple of games in France, Russia, Portugal & Spain.

but to goto a new market like the USA so quickly after steadying the ship is abit risky. its all well and good saying RU would grab this type of chance but the fact is the RWC has slowly built up momentum. its only after 28 years or 7 RWC's that there looking at the Asia & the USA as options.

the RLWC has really reset itself... its back on its feet now... you gotta crawl before you can walk.

roopy

Referee
2013 is achievable, and it doubles or triples the chance of the US pro comp succeeding.

It won't happen, largely because our administrators don't have the balls or the vision to grab this opportunity with both hands, but we could make this pro comp in the biggest market in the world happen if we wanted to - but we will just sit back and say 'why doesn't someone do something to expand the game'.

roopy

Referee
The last WC cost about 20 mill to put on from memory.

Some of the money came from Government grants - I think we could get more in America.
Some of the money came from TV rights - I think we will get more next time anyway, but especially if it is held in America, which gives us another big market for TV.
Some of the money came from ticket sales - we would get less in America.
Some of the money came from merchandise sales - less in America i'd say.

All in all, it should balance out to similar income, but might cost a bit more to put on.

coach

I think people like you are the reason that RU would grab this sort of chance, but RL will fiddle while Rome burns forever.

Seriously I think China is the option. Not really for 2013 but certainly for 2017. League needs to expand in to Asia and where better to have a world cup then China. For 100 years league has been played in Australia and it has not moved any further north then PNG. The game really needs to work on that and now.

I like the USA, been there many times. Follow their sports. Love the mighty Dallas Cowboys. Would love to see League take off over there. But I just don't see it happening. In my opinion the USA is a closed shop in as far as any new sports making an impact there.

Not saying that Davod Nui shouldn't try and the all the best to him.

deluded pom?

Coach
Some people are under the impression that rugby league in the States is trying to muscle in on the same market that the NFL,NBA,NHL and MLB are in. The game has little or no chance of reaching those heady heights. As long as the game can earn it's keep financially then that's all we can ask for.

roopy

Referee
Seriously I think China is the option. Not really for 2013 but certainly for 2017. League needs to expand in to Asia and where better to have a world cup then China. For 100 years league has been played in Australia and it has not moved any further north then PNG. The game really needs to work on that and now.

I like the USA, been there many times. Follow their sports. Love the mighty Dallas Cowboys. Would love to see League take off over there. But I just don't see it happening. In my opinion the USA is a closed shop in as far as any new sports making an impact there.

Not saying that Davod Nui shouldn't try and the all the best to him.
Sorry - thought you were being sarcastic.
I'd love to see a chinese team, but even though you see plenty of chinese australians at games, they don't seem to excel on the field, possibly because they are late developers unlike Islanders who are early developers.