What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, who's going to Melbourne?

Hellsy

Immortal
Lol.
I luv a Melbourne trip regardless of the result, its always good to catch up with great friends down there. We also went to the Comedy Festival, did some shopping, ate awesome food!!! and then our flight got cancelled y/day so we got put up in 4 star accom last night :lol:, shame it was a bit far from city but we didn't really care and we headed back in for dinner and a movie last night before finally getting a flight out this morning

mickdo

Coach
Hope you all had a good time down there guys, shame we couldn't put on a decent game for you

SDM

First Grade
Poupou when are you going to update your website randomphotosofjerks.com?

Suitman

Post Whore
Hope the pub was good Suity and co :)

Hope you all had a good time down there guys, shame we couldn't put on a decent game for you

Sure did guys.
It was great fun. Stadium was fantastic. Drinkies were fun. Met some new great people and had a wow of a weekend.
Game was crap but somehow, strangely enjoyable. I was blown away by the quality of footy that Melbourne played, and once I knew we weren't going to win, actually enjoyed watching them. Exhilerating stuff.
And MITS, after my culinary collapse on Saturday night, I actually enjoyed the most amazing chinese in a very ordinary looking restaurant on Exhibition st after the game. It was sensational.
Visually, Melbourne is a very average city. I first visited there 30 years ago, and still, to this day, The Yarra River runs upside down. All the mud is on the top. It's vibrant, it has a great outdoor dining and fashion culture, and following sport is it's strength, but ultimately, it's just another city.
I haven't been there for 10 years, and was expecting a little better tbh.
The inner city is just a grid of streets, and not very attractive streets at that.
Federation Square has absolutely nothing going for it.
Trams are trams.
On the other hand, AAMI Stadium is one of the classier stadiums in the country. I was extremely impressed.

Suity

Mate, they are so concerned with making it look good, but at street level it is just another City.

I had some bloke who worked at AAMI Park tell me that Stadium Australia is the worst in Australia compared to what they have. having visited the MCG I am going to say they are on PAR, especially the new stand vs Stadium Australia. The only time they have it over Stadium Australia is the HD TV's in the food queue areas. Nice touch.

AAMI Park is awesome and if I could redevelop Parramatta Stadium I would use AAMI park as a blueprint. Very very good, and if it was in Parramatta would service the needs of a 30,000 or so seater quite well.

Cabby took me for a ride through the suburbs of Melbourne on the way to the airport cause the access road to the Loop was closed. It is just another city and actually felt like Sydney in the 80's more than anything.

Hellsy

Immortal
U can give me Melbourne city over Sydney city any day of the week, I fkn hate going into Sydney. Not saying Melbourne is as far superior as they make it out to be at all, but I find shopping, restaurants, entertainment, transport, parking etc much better than Sydney's equiv

Suitman

Post Whore
U can give me Melbourne city over Sydney city any day of the week, I fkn hate going into Sydney. Not saying Melbourne is as far superior as they make it out to be at all, but I find shopping, restaurants, entertainment, transport, parking etc much better than Sydney's equiv

How often do you go to Sydney City?
The problem with our city centre is it's too big.
Melbourne is compact. An easy walk from one end to the other.
But still, it's very average and isn't exciting.

Suity

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Suity
And full of Victorians.

Hellsy

Immortal
To be fair though Suity, U said yourself you haven't been there for 10 years and you weren't really there for that long this time either.
I've been to Sydney at least 15 times this year including staying overnight in there twice. I think it is one of the prettiest cities I've been to in the world, I just don't like being in it.

Suitman

Post Whore
To be fair though Suity, U said yourself you haven't been there for 10 years and you weren't really there for that long this time either.
I've been to Sydney at least 15 times this year including staying overnight in there twice. I think it is one of the prettiest cities I've been to in the world, I just don't like being in it.

Point taken.
Definitely a chicks city is Melbourne.

You're right - haven't been there for 10 years is what I said.
It hasn't changed much since then. A few taller buildings, but they are only there because of a dick pulling contest.

Suity

Hellsy

Immortal
Point taken.
Definitely a chicks city is Melbourne.

You're right - haven't been there for 10 years is what I said.
It hasn't changed much since then. A few taller buildings, but they are only there because of a dick pulling contest.

Suity
U could be right there

fish eel

Immortal

Suity

Seriously though, who goes to Melbourne and goes to the city part? It's a couple of farkin blocks. St Kilda & Prahran, and Carlton Fitzroy are the best places to go in Melbourne. Much better than their imposter of a CBD.

Last edited: