What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

the phantom menace

First Grade
Doesn't really say a lot about Talagi being keen on a career at the Eels?

No wonder the club has been hyping him up, maybe in the hope of appealing to his ego and get in first to sign him up beyond this season - before other clubs get much of a look at him pushing for/in the top grade.

emjaycee

Coach
If I was Talagi I wouldn't be signing beyond this year without an option in my favour and if I was the club I wouldn't be signing a player that has played one and half games against grown men to a contract of more than 2 years including options.
If he gets some game time in Reggies and proves he can match with grown men he will get an extension beyond 2025 at probably a more realistic price for both parties.

84 Baby

Referee
Doesn't really say a lot about Talagi being keen on a career at the Eels?

No wonder the club has been hyping him up, maybe in the hope of appealing to his ego and get in first to sign him up beyond this season - before other clubs get much of a look at him pushing for/in the top grade.
So… you do or don’t agree with it as a good tactic?

the phantom menace

First Grade
So… you do or don’t agree with it as a good tactic?
Depends on whether he ends up signing with us or not, obviously. If not - the tactic was pretty useless. If so - then some might say the tactic worked as intended.

My point was more that being signed to have a player option to leave elsewhere doesn't speak "buy in" on the players' part (at least at the moment) to what the club says it is building etc etc.

84 Baby

Referee
Depends on whether he ends up signing with us or not, obviously. If not - the tactic was pretty useless. If so - then some might say the tactic worked as intended.

My point was more that being signed to have a player option to leave elsewhere doesn't speak "buy in" on the players' part (at least at the moment) to what the club says it is building etc etc.
Hey @TheRam Pharty doesn’t agree with your recommendation of pumping the egos of highly rated juniors. He thinks it shows the player doesn’t “buy in” to what the club is building etc

TheCrowe

Juniors
Don't look at the NSW cup side on the Eels website 🫣 you think that a week out someone would have updated the squads..
Its pretty weak. Haven't been able to find a team list for the trials. Im interested to know who is on the fringe of the Cup squad.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The club might’ve decided that providing info about backups is more trouble than it’s worth. They haven’t said anything about Talagi’s upgrade either. “wHo Is ThIs NuFfY wE nEeD sOuThS to GiVe uS tAsS fFs!!!”

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Momoisea released!! A backup position has opened up. Will we upgrade Loizou or bring in an external signing like Young Tonumaipea? It’s very exciting.

* = player option
¢ = club option
" = mutual option
^ = development contract

Utility: Asi (24), Brown, Gutherson, Talagi
Fullback: -
W/C: Cini (24), Dunster, Harper (26), Penisini, Russell, Simonsson (26), Sivo
Half: Moses, Sanders (20)^
Hooker: Hands, Lussick
Edge forward: Brazel (21)^, Cartwright, Doorey, Guymer (20)^, Lane, Mataele, Matterson, Tuilagi
Middle: Campbell-Gillard, Greig, Hopgood, Makatoa (31), Moretti^, Ofahengaue, Ogden (28), Paulo, Rodwell (25), Taumoepenu (23), Tuivati^

Utility: Brown, Gutherson (31), Talagi (20)*
W/C: Dunster (26)", Penisini, Russell (23), Sivo
Half: Moses
Hooker: Hands (26), Lussick (30)
Edge forward: Cartwright (31), Doorey (25), Lane, Mataele (23), Matterson, Tuilagi (26)
Middle: Campbell-Gillard (32), Greig, Hopgood (26), Moretti (25), Ofahengaue (30), Paulo, Tuivati (20)

Utility: Brown*
W/C: Penisini (24)*, Sivo (33)"
Half: Moses
Hooker: -
Edge forward: Lane (32)", Matterson (32)*
Middle: Greig (27), Paulo (33)

W/C: -
Half: Moses*
Edge forward: -
Middle: -

Half: Moses (34)*

Half: -

Utility: Brown (31)*

So we (officially) have 29 merkins in this year's top 30, and 21 in the 2025 squad.

Latest posts