What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 2018

Travitoh

First Grade
Qld’s backline is a lot better than NSW’s in my opinion. I would take Slater over Tedesco, Gagai over Trobojevic, Inglis over Mitchell, Chambers over Roberts and Holmes over Addo-Carr. I think Maloney is the best of the halves, but Cleary is also the worst. If I was picking a best of Origin team right now, I’d pick 6 out of 7 Qlders. That might all change in 2 months time, but right now I think that is a big advantage to Qld.

If the Qld forwards can match their NSW counterparts (which they have consistently done in the past even when outmatched on paper) then I think our class in the backline will get us home.

Strongly disagree about the halves. While reasonably even i believe NSW have the edge there. Cleary is closer to being at the JT/Cronk level than Ben Hunt who is in career best form. He could be the Qld equivalent of Mitchell Pearce. Munster and Maloney are on a similar level though two different types of player and Michael Morgan's form barely warrants NQ selection let alone Qld.

Not really a fan of NSW 2-5 - i would've liked to have seen one of Aitken or Cotric in, if not both and do agree that Qld have an edge there.

The forwards look even and Queenslands experience could be a huge advantage.
That said, the NSW debutants have a good number of first grade games under their belt so won't be two green and i would go as far to suggest Kaufusi and Arrow are less experienced than any NSW forward.

All in all, I'm moist with excitement!

CliveC

Juniors
When Souths signed Farah I was less than amused because we lost Brownie to Parra,it was said Souths didn't even make Brownie an offer!
Then Maguire proceeded to stuff Cookie around and he wanted out!
Could you blame him if Maguire gave him ten minutes on the field per game?
We are double lucky with Mick gone and Cookie being finally recognised for the good player that he is!

CliveC

Juniors
Strongly disagree about the halves. While reasonably even i believe NSW have the edge there. Cleary is closer to being at the JT/Cronk level than Ben Hunt who is in career best form. He could be the Qld equivalent of Mitchell Pearce. Munster and Maloney are on a similar level though two different types of player and Michael Morgan's form barely warrants NQ selection let alone Qld.

Not really a fan of NSW 2-5 - i would've liked to have seen one of Aitken or Cotric in, if not both and do agree that Qld have an edge there.

The forwards look even and Queenslands experience could be a huge advantage.
That said, the NSW debutants have a good number of first grade games under their belt so won't be two green and i would go as far to suggest Kaufusi and Arrow are less experienced than any NSW forward.

All in all, I'm moist with excitement!
Big question mark over Mitchell and his temperament,he is really up himself and that may be his Achilles heel!

CliveC

Juniors
I have generally went for Qld but now that Souths players have really been picked for NSW it's a switch.
Expect big dollars to be offered to Cookie to switch to the Chooks in the not too distant future!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I have generally went for Qld but now that Souths players have really been picked for NSW it's a switch.
Expect big dollars to be offered to Cookie to switch to the Chooks in the not too distant future!
f**k the Rorters. Cookie will stay.

We will just have to pay him 700k but he deserves it!

It may be close to a 4 year deal/extension of close to 3mil we offer him!

So I understand now if a guy like Clarky on about 250k has to be let go to help accomodate Cookie to stay!

Pommy

Coach
f**k the Rorters. Cookie will stay.

We will just have to pay him 700k but he deserves it!

It may be close to a 4 year deal/extension of close to 3mil we offer him!

So I understand now if a guy like Clarky on about 250k has to be let go to help accomodate Cookie to stay!

That will only net the club about 160k maximum as Clarke would have to be replaced by someone on at least the minimum wage.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Cooooooookkkkkkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee bro.................

Bloody brilliant and all the knockers on these forums @Souths Till I Die can eat their words!!!! I always believed in him just like you did bro!!!

Was absolutely stoked to see him named. He has worked his way up from a bench player to a rep player in a matter of seasons. Hopefully he will see NSW to some success. We bloody need it.

Stoked for Crichton as well.

doyen

Bench
Farah is being very supportive to Cook---Cook is talking to Robbie about SOO & Robbie is helping the best he can in calming Damien's nerves!!

CliveC

Juniors
A lot on here were being loyal to Madge when in the end he didn't deserve it at all!!

In hindsight one can see that Madge was toxic!

His rantings at 1/2 time in games lost it for me! He made himself appear a complete idiot!!!
Leaving GI on the field with his injury was diabolical,an embarrassment to a great player!

A lot on here were being loyal to Madge when in the end he didn't deserve it at all!!

In hindsight one can see that Madge was toxic!

His rantings at 1/2 time in games lost it for me! He made himself appear a complete idiot!!!
Wow that’s pretty harsh mate. Hopefully in a few years we can only remember the Madge that was on the field early October 2014 celebrating with the players after he lead us to victory for the first time in a long time. But yes he had to go as he lost the players I’m the end.

doyen

Bench
Wow that’s pretty harsh mate. Hopefully in a few years we can only remember the Madge that was on the field early October 2014 celebrating with the players after he lead us to victory for the first time in a long time. But yes he had to go as he lost the players I’m the end.

Madge was coach when Sths won one p/ship!!

Jack Rayner won 5 out of 6 p/ships in a row back in the 1950s------& he was Capt/coach which meant he was out on the field playing for all those p/ships!!
During that time too he played 16x for NSW & 5x for Aust!

Sths won the titles with Rayner as C/coach in 1950,1951,1953,1954 & 1955--Sths were beaten by Wests in the 1952 GF!!!
It was great to see Sths win in 2014 but Madge's record is paltry next to Rayner!

IMO,Madge stunted the growth of many of our players,Cook being one-----his progress under a good coach in Seibs has been miraculous & in complete contrast!

Last edited:

CliveC

Juniors

Jack Rayner won 5 out of 6 p/ships in a row back in the 1950s------& he was Capt/coach which meant he was out on the field playing for all those p/ships!!

Sths won the titles with Rayner as C/coach in 1950,1951,1953,1954 & 1955--Sths were beaten by Wests in the 1952 GF!!!
It was great to see Sths win in 2014 but Madge's record is paltry next to Rayner!

IMO,Madge stunted the growth of many of our players,Cook being one-----his progress under a good coach in Seibs has been miraculous & in complete contrast!
Agree with you,now add Clive Churchills coaching career for Souths and Maguire and his achievements were good but those last three years were winters of discontent!

Rabbits20

Immortal

But Cookie was never making it at origin and was garbage aye lol;);)

I'm giving it to him @southsport lol

Latest posts