What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sucked in Italy...

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Is bandwagon nation support worse than bandwagon club team support?

I support my country of heritage, not with as much 'passion' as Australia, but enough to warrant watching games where possible and owning a jersey.

Doesn't help that their only worthwhile appearance (or any appearance tbh) was at Euro 2004.

fish eel

Immortal
Well the world cup is the biggest f**king sporting event in the world. Australia couldnt make it and I fell in love with another team. f**king sue me dickheads.

And dont go talking about "Oh I would've gone for Australia but they were rubbish". I could name 20 people I know off the top of my head that wouldnt even have been able to name 1 socceroos player before the last world cup but now go around like they are the socceroos biggest fans. Bandwagon supporters.

And its not like Portugal have been a huge success anyways. Before 2002 they had only qualified for two world cups. They're one of the worlds biggest underachievers in football and were absolutely abysmal in the 2002 world cup. Im not a bandwagon supporter I just started supporting a team and stuck with them. I know a guy who is born in Australia with Australian parents and he supports England. So what. Each to their own.

Heavens forbid they support their country :sarcasm:

What I dont get....is to me, it's not about supporting a 'team', but your country FFS

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors

What I dont get....is to me, it's not about supporting a 'team', but your country FFS

I never said I dont support the socceroos. I specifically said I own a Socceroos jersey and scarf and support the team because i was born here. I will wake up at 4:30am like millions of others tomorow morning and hope for a miracle. However, I am more passionate about the Portuguese team. Why? Because I have followed them for 10 years through ups and downs in major tournaments. I cried when we lost the european championship final in 2004 against Greece and I cheered until i lost my voice when we beat the poms in a penalty shoot out in the quarter final of the world cup in 2006. When I watch them play I get so nervous that I sweat like a pig and my hands shake. When the Socceroos play I want them to win but its not the same feeling. I cant help it.

fish eel

Immortal
I never said I dont support the socceroos. I specifically said I own a Socceroos jersey and scarf and support the team because i was born here. I will wake up at 4:30am like millions of others tomorow morning and hope for a miracle. However, I am more passionate about the Portuguese team. Why? Because I have followed them for 10 years through ups and downs in major tournaments. I cried when we lost the european championship final in 2004 against Greece and I cheered until i lost my voice when we beat the poms in a penalty shoot out in the quarter final of the world cup in 2006. When I watch them play I get so nervous that I sweat like a pig and my hands shake. When the Socceroos play I want them to win but its not the same feeling. I cant help it.

and that's, what I just don't get, how someone can be more passionate about another nation aside from the one they were born and and continue to live in.

Each to their own, but it's just f**king bizarre to me.

Bumble

First Grade

Exactly. It's sheer nonsense.

Born, raised and lived your entire live in Australia. You should know which country to cheer for ffs.

I bet you wouldn't cheer for the Porko RL team over Australia...I wonder why :lol:

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors

Born, raised and lived your entire live in Australia. You should know which country to cheer for ffs.

I bet you wouldn't cheer for the Porko RL team over Australia...I wonder why :lol:

Its got nothing to with whether they are good or bad or which country I was born in however i can understand you may think that because I agree many people are like that. Its got everything to do with who I grew up supporting and the football players I grew up idolising.

t-ba

Post Whore
Chinese people are funnier with this than any Australians.

I pray for the day that Chinese Soccer comes good and I can rag mercilessly on all the Chinese people when they jump ship from Spain/Argentina/Brazil/Italy/England onto the bandwagon they swore blind they'd never support.The Chinese are glory hogs who'll kick a dog when it's down but then give it a statue lining Tienanmen Square when it's up. Patriotic only when there's the distinct possibility they'll win.

At least most Australians who go for another national team have some heritage. It indicates a level of pride in something that is a part of them. I keep an eye on Springboks scores even though I don't follow the sport because it's more my heritage than those Middle class f**ktards who run the ARU will ever be. But I can't really see any cultural issues that would make someone not support the Socceroos. They're the classic battlers of Australian sport.

I personally love going for a sh*t team. Nothing better than going through the lows then experiencing the highs. 1993,1997 and 2001 made 2005 and 2006 all the more sweeter.

weasel

First Grade
I was in China on the weekend, T-ba. I was a bit shocked when I first heard the Chinese version of Wavin' flag. I know China is a huge market but I couldn't believe they'd get their own version of the song when they didn't even qualify. I looked up the music video on youtube and it's pretty funny, shots of Chinese fans cheering in front of the tv in Arsenal jerseys interspersed between footage from the English version. I wonder who they're cheering for.

Loved CCTV5 though, seemed like it just showed World Cup all the time. I've got SBS sports in Korea which shows a lot of World Cup replays but switches to other sports, especially baseball, during the day. What part of China are you in, btw?

Shorty

Staff member
and that's, what I just don't get, how someone can be more passionate about another nation aside from the one they were born and and continue to live in.

Each to their own, but it's just f**king bizarre to me.

Why is it so hard to understand?
His family is quite clearly Portuguese, I would find it more difficult to understand if he was fully linked to Australia and had no affiliation toward Portugal.

He watched the sport with his grandfather...he is not just Australian...he's grown up in Australia yes, but with Portuguese upbringing.
The people in this thread have every right to support the country, in which their parents were from....the one their whole family is passionate about...of course they can.

It's not like my pathetic sister in law who, because she was there of all about 2 weeks, supports Germany and was happy with the 4-0 result!

t-ba

Post Whore
I was in China on the weekend, T-ba. I was a bit shocked when I first heard the Chinese version of Wavin' flag. I know China is a huge market but I couldn't believe they'd get their own version of the song when they didn't even qualify. I looked up the music video on youtube and it's pretty funny, shots of Chinese fans cheering in front of the tv in Arsenal jerseys interspersed between footage from the English version. I wonder who they're cheering for.

Loved CCTV5 though, seemed like it just showed World Cup all the time. I've got SBS sports in Korea which shows a lot of World Cup replays but switches to other sports, especially baseball, during the day. What part of China are you in, btw?

It's about the only time I'll watch terrestrial TV here! I'm in Wuhan, Hubei. Centre of China's rail network, Middle of nowhere...I forget what Blue sky looks like. Where'd you go in China?

CC_Eagle

First Grade
The 2008 olympics coverage on CCTV was incredible, lots of non-China events as well.

Mind you, being there was better ;).

Tom Shines

First Grade
I didn't agree with the thread initially, because it was way too premature considering that they had only played the one game.

But yeah... A massive sucked in to Italy!
And well, well done to our Kiwi brothers... amazing to go through the World Cup undefeated.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Karma is a bitch. France got theirs for the Hand of Frog incident, and Italy got theirs for being a bunch of cheating, diving merkins.

Danish

Referee
I swear to god watching Italy get beat is almost sexually arousing.

Nothing better than watching my most hated team in all sports, hell one of my most hated anything in the whole world, get bundled out last in their group :lol:

The Tank

Bench
bwahahahahahahahaha... The '06 finalists the spaghettis and the froggies knocked out in the group stage!!! :) :lol: