What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super 8's

Bovrick

Juniors
Why when super league was re negotiating tv rights they didnt get alk games telecasted???

It doesn't make sense here. People aren't going to watch semi-pro games for one; and clubs can probably make more money (short term at least) through gate receipts and some TV games rather than an oversaturated TV offering and lower gate receipts.

At a guess. I presume (hope) that some proper numbers have been done on this trade off at least.

roughyedspud

Coach
Championship clubs don't bring in half of the money that ESL clubs do though. .

I never said they do....

But theres enough money to spread the wealth which will benefit the whole sport..yeah the money will trickle down but as a result the talent pool will trickle up too..

The full time player pool will instantly double..

Lower league clubs could afford to run under 21,under 18 etc

Fine give the ESL their £1.82m,thats all the ESL are arsed about cos it means their salary cap is paid for them...so if it means champ clubs only get £500k & £150k so be it...but the money is/was there to give lower leagie clubs a substantial increase in central funding...

As it stands league one clubs are actually going to get a DECREASE in funding from £90k to £75k...

And the sliding scale in the championship is asking for trouble cos clubs will go into debt spending beyond their means to get a higher league place..

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I never said they do....

But theres enough money to spread the wealth which will benefit the whole sport..yeah the money will trickle down but as a result the talent pool will trickle up too..

Fine give the ESL their £1.82m,thats all the ESL are arsed about cos it means their salary cap is paid for them...so if it means champ clubs only get £500k & £150k so be it...but the money is/was there to give lower leagie clubs a substantial increase in central funding...

As it stands league one clubs are actually going to get a DECREASE in funding from £90k to £75k...

And the sliding scale in the championship is asking for trouble cos clubs will go into debt spending beyond their means to get a higher league place..

What are your thoughts on 10 team leagues, with P&R between last and first each year?

Evil Homer

Staff member
I never said they do....

Realistically most of the current Championship clubs don't have much hope of ever being sustainable full-time clubs, the RFL giving them money to artificially allow them to run a full-time squad wouldn't help and TBH the funds would be better spent elsewhere, like rehiring all the regional development officers that were cut for a start. Also you have to look at the players, Sheffield are losing half their squad due to going full-time next year because it means that players would have to give up their day jobs and so actually be making less money. The likes of Dewsbury and Whitehaven would probably struggle to raise a team if they had to be full-time. A full-time Championship is definitely an ideal situation in the future but at the stage we're at, with the clubs we have it just isn't suitable or realistic ATM.

I agree that the League One clubs should definitely be given more funding, that's where the real potential for development is IMO and they have a much harder task being geographically isolated and unable to just rely on SL dual reg players and loanees.

JasonE

Bench
Leeds are starting to wobble again.Wigan weren't impressive in beating Hull and Saints don't look quite right atm.
Would love to see Huddersfield take advantage and get to Old Trafford.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Leeds are starting to wobble again.Wigan weren't impressive in beating Hull and Saints don't look quite right atm.
Would love to see Huddersfield take advantage and get to Old Trafford.

That would be awesome. The big 3 have looked frail at various stages this year, could be huddersfields year this time

Harrigan

Juniors
The standard in general seemed poor across the board this weekend. For me the cup final being at the last stage of the year doesn't help one bit. Not just for the teams in it but for the other clubs taking a week off when they should be building momentum running into the finals. It should have never been moved from May

Harrigan

Juniors
Cas did play well. If there's a better 7 than Luke Gale running around SL I haven't seen him. He's developed into a great all round half back

JasonE

Bench
Cas did play well. If there's a better 7 than Luke Gale running around SL I haven't seen him. He's developed into a great all round half back

Well on form he has to be picked for England, at least in the squad. If Sam Tomkins is fit, McNamara has the option of choosing him at 6 and Widdop at 7.
One thing for sure is Matty Smith can't be picked, he has been poor this season.

LeedsStorm

Juniors

Cue massive hype and ultimate spectacular failure vs the Kiwis!

Totally agree he's been outstanding. The worry, as always, is whether he has been in enough pressure games to do the business at international level. Would be a interesting selection anyway.

Have to say, having been a bit skeptical of the super 8s, it's providing an arguably better contest. Still have my concerns about the number of games in the season, but the last week of the super 8s and the subsequent finals matches should be a great watch.

Harrigan

Juniors
But the teams who made the grand final in the old system played 27 regular season games plus 3 or 4 play off games, dependant on the route to get there. That's a total maximum of 31.

The new system has 30 league games and 2 play off games. Hardly a massive jump in minutes played. The only big increase is for the teams who finish 5-12 and that's only a 3 game increase and nothing more than what the teams who usually compete at the top have to do on a yearly basis.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
But the teams who made the grand final in the old system played 27 regular season games plus 3 or 4 play off games, dependant on the route to get there. That's a total maximum of 31.

The new system has 30 league games and 2 play off games. Hardly a massive jump in minutes played. The only big increase is for the teams who finish 5-12 and that's only a 3 game increase and nothing more than what the teams who usually compete at the top have to do on a yearly basis.

Which is still too much. I can't see how England will ever win a world cup unless they reduce the number of games to a) reduce player fatigue b) lengthen the off season and c) improve the intensity.

I'm with you on the cup final too Harrigan (and not just because Leeds look shattered). Building up to - and kicking on from a cup final in the midst of a top 8 series and playoff is a real challenge.

Burns

First Grade
Tonight was a perfect example of why the last round should be played all games simultaneously. Leeds to the shield steal from Wigan like that was amazing. Feel for Huddersfield, dropped their bundle