What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super 8's

adamkungl

Immortal
I like the idea more than the execution. Another issue is the play off system at the end. No real advantage to coming 1st at the end of a 30 game season, straight up knock out.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I like the idea more than the execution. Another issue is the play off system at the end. No real advantage to coming 1st at the end of a 30 game season, straight up knock out.

Which section of the split are you referring to? The top 8 goes down to a semi final knock-out for 1v4 and 2v3 to the Gf which is fair enough

deal.with.it

Juniors
I think the super league top 8 should go straight to finals after 23 rounds. 1v4, 2v3, 5v8, 6v7, winners of 1v4 and2v3 get a week off.
Its too hard for teams 7 and 8 to get into the top 4.
Plus it's going to be mostly players from the top 8 representing England, so give them a rest.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/37033500

The Widnes chairman thinks everyone should restart on zero points for the super league top 8. It's not the worst idea in the world but i question would the champion be the league leader after 23 rounds or the Gf? Arguably they could be treated as 2 separate championships, maybe it would then increase importance of the regular season to the fans?

adamkungl

Immortal
The best idea is usually the simplest...there's a reason why basically every sporting comp on earth uses either first-past-the-post or straight up playoffs. Pick one and go with it.

roughyedspud

Coach
What is your preference for the structure?

12 team home & away season

A magic weekend

A ESL 9s weekend

Top 6 play offs

Mid season international,the knights play france & england play NZ down under

Challenge cup

1up,1down relegation decided via a bottom of ESL v championship GF winner..a proper £2m game (well £1.85m)

roughyedspud

Coach
On this middle 8s...its doing kallum watkins the world of good,hes had a poor season but he's playing himself into some form,it'll do wonders for his confidence

CC_Roosters

First Grade
12 team home & away season

A magic weekend

A ESL 9s weekend

Top 6 play offs

Mid season international,the knights play france & england play NZ down under

Challenge cup

1up,1down relegation decided via a bottom of ESL v championship GF winner..a proper £2m game (well £1.85m)

Why the need for a play-off though. I prefer one up one down direct from league finish.

I would also reduce the championship to 10 teams and aim for it to become entirely full time. Should make it a higher quality more intense comp. Use the Scottish style split in the second tier for the final fixtures.

Crap. looks like the top 4 clubs are set after tonight. currently I like the middle 8s but think the 4v5 play-off is a step too far. The super league 8 more often than not will be like this season, decided very early. 5 weeks of largely meaningless games to come makes it a very hard sell. Not sure what the solution that is except dumping the system

roughyedspud

Coach
The need for a relegation play off is because the ESL chairmen would never allow direct P&R..

And you can't reduce the championship because championship clubs actually need gate money

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The need for a relegation play off is because the ESL chairmen would never allow direct P&R..

And you can't reduce the championship because championship clubs actually need gate money

Using a split in a 10 team championship would still give 22 games plus magic weekend.

roughyedspud

Coach
still not enough,don' t forget championship clubs don't have the pleasure of getting a £1.825m tv grant like ESL clubs,that tv grant will,from next season, pay for their entire cap...

its all well and good wanting championship clubs to go full time,championship clubs actually have to find the money to go full time...ESL clubs get their biggest expenditure paid for them..

CC_Roosters

First Grade
still not enough,don' t forget championship clubs don't have the pleasure of getting a £1.825m tv grant like ESL clubs,that tv grant will,from next season, pay for their entire cap...

its all well and good wanting championship clubs to go full time,championship clubs actually have to find the money to go full time...ESL clubs get their biggest expenditure paid for them..
What is the 2017 cap and grant for ESL and championship respectively.

Simple 10 team league play everyone 3 times haha

roughyedspud

Coach
What is the 2017 cap and grant for ESL and championship respectively.

Simple 10 team league play everyone 3 times haha

ESL - grant £1.825m ,cap £1.825m plus marquee player rule

championship - grant....well....lol....its a sliding scale from £550k to £150k depending on where you finish in the league..1st & 2nd get £550k & £500k then everyone else gets between £200k & £150k

and the cap will be £1.825m or no more than 50%of the clubs turnover

think ive got that right?

ps league one clubs,mainly development clubs that are vital to the growth of our sport get a measly £75k..which is actually less than they used to get..£90k before

CC_Roosters

First Grade
ESL - grant £1.825m ,cap £1.825m plus marquee player rule

championship - grant....well....lol....its a sliding scale from £550k to £150k depending on where you finish in the league..1st & 2nd get £550k & £500k then everyone else gets between £200k & £150k

and the cap will be £1.825m or no more than 50%of the clubs turnover

think ive got that right?

ps league one clubs,mainly development clubs that are vital to the growth of our sport get a measly £75k..which is actually less than they used to get..£90k before

By my numbers that's 25million and Change to the clubs. Any idea what total Rfl revenue is?

Have they moved into the new television deal yet? I remember they signed an extension with sky sports a couple of years ago too much fanfare from the Rfl which seemed give a small increase in revenue. Doesn't seem to have translated into improved grants?

I'm it would still be better to reduce the 2nd tier to 10 clubs and distribute the money across the 10 clubs evenly. Just reduces the likely hood of cannon fodder games at this level and increase the quality.

Last edited: