What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Expansion (possible)

adamkungl

Immortal
i don't see how a "european championship" would be sustainable?

There could be a unified pyramid system where it is theoretically possible for teams from a number of countries to advance all the way from the bottom to SL. Obviously in practice SL would remain 80-90% northern English teams for the forseeable. And amateur/semi-pro clubs travelling every week for some international Euro comp is not sustainable, you're right.

If you did the unified pyramid now, you might have the Welsh premiership with a promotion spot into League One and the French E1 into the Championship. No other countries at a high enough standard talent-wise or financially yet.
But down the track you could have the top Italian and Spanish clubs feeding into France, and Ireland into League 1. Scotland........ never mind.

All kind of pie in the sky stuff, I know.

Golden point

Juniors
There could be a unified pyramid system where it is theoretically possible for teams from a number of countries to advance all the way from the bottom to SL. Obviously in practice SL would remain 80-90% northern English teams for the forseeable. And amateur/semi-pro clubs travelling every week for some international Euro comp is not sustainable, you're right.

If you did the unified pyramid now, you might have the Welsh premiership with a promotion spot into League One and the French E1 into the Championship. No other countries at a high enough standard talent-wise or financially yet.
But down the track you could have the top Italian and Spanish clubs feeding into France, and Ireland into League 1. Scotland........ never mind.

All kind of pie in the sky stuff, I know.
That's got a lot of merit. Might sound like a lot but if you break it down..it's very doable..I really don't see why that couldn't work. Canada are making an example on a transcontinental level... these countries are right next door! It's only a matter of time before the penny drops. Chase it up mate, plant the seed...

roughyedspud

Coach
instead of putting everyone into "our pyramid" we should look at building stronger regional leagues

america & canada - north american super league,a north american 9's cup weekend for american,canadian and Jamaican club teams could be awesome.

add spanish & italian teams into the french 3rd tier,national div 1 to form the "Mediterranean league",teams could then progress up through the french pyramid,med league,elite two,elite one etc

To become an Associate Members of the RLEF each country must fulfill certain criteria..one being running at least a 4 team comp...now...if Holland has 4 teams and Belgium 4 teams,theres a nice 8 team comp there....you could pair half a dozen neighboring countries off like that in europe

that should be the plan instead of chucking everyone into one pyramid

Golden point

Juniors
instead of putting everyone into "our pyramid" we should look at building stronger regional leagues

america & canada - north american super league,a north american 9's cup weekend for american,canadian and Jamaican club teams could be awesome.

add spanish & italian teams into the french 3rd tier,national div 1 to form the "Mediterranean league",teams could then progress up through the french pyramid,med league,elite two,elite one etc

To become an Associate Members of the RLEF each country must fulfill certain criteria..one being running at least a 4 team comp...now...if Holland has 4 teams and Belgium 4 teams,theres a nice 8 team comp there....you could pair half a dozen neighboring countries off like that in europe

that should be the plan instead of chucking everyone into one pyramid
This! Sponsorship would benefit greatly from this kind of exposure too.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
i don't see how a "european championship" would be sustainable?
You might be right it would probably come at a time if / when we can start earning TV money from Canada and France and be funded that way. Or if not I guess any interested clubs can just enter the system through English or French League 1