What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sustaining&building upon current NRL boom

Wb1234

Referee
a second Brisbane team should of been done a decade ago and was always going to be an easy success

the next step is the harder one
2nd bris team wasn’t allowed until 2015 due to the peace deal made to end super league to protect the news ltd owned broncos

greenBV4

Bench
2nd bris team wasn’t allowed until 2015 due to the peace deal made to end super league to protect the news ltd owned broncos
yep, stupid that it was agreed to in the first place, but should of been ready to go in 2015 as soon as it was allowed to

NRLMad

Juniors
Was in Melbourne 3 weeks ago, they have great centralised Infrastructure - it’s so close to the stadium from city central. They also have a real culture of going to games and that’s very different to Sydney.
Honest question here but why is that?

are AFL tickets cheaper and packaged more family friendly?
Other things that I think will matter
- AFL is very “Australian” - it’s definitely not as multicultural as the NRL. Most players are white/Anglo-Saxons
- AFL has an issue with race. It’s either the people watching or whatever - aboriginal players are probably our most celebrated and talented. Everyone loves them.
- Growth is limited for the AFL -TAS, WA3, ACT, NZ? Whereas the NRL has so much more scope for growth. All the usual suspects are available - QLD5/6, WA, Pacific/bears and NZ2 + Adelaide & Melbourne2 - pure comparison but I’d prefer the latter list by a country mile.
- NRL has Regional australia covered.

Last edited:

Brian potter

Bench
Was in Melbourne 3 weeks ago, they have great centralised Infrastructure - it’s so close to the stadium from city central. They also have a real culture of going to games and that’s very different to Sydney.

Other things that I think will matter
- Afl is very “Australian” - it’s definitely not as multicultural as the nrl.
- growth is limited for the afl, tas/wa/act or nz? Whereas the nrl has so much more scope for growth. Before you even consider all the usual suspects we have Adelaide & Melbourne2 - we have qld5, wa, pacific/bears and nz2 - pure comparison but I’d prefer the latter list.
That’s exactly how I look at it regarding potential growth.

NRL hasn’t even really touched Melbourne or Victoria let alone cities like Perth and Adelaide plus kiwi cities&towns.

would Geelong not be a better option than another city based side for Melbourne2?

greenBV4

Bench
would Geelong not be a better option than another city based side for Melbourne2?
No from me
If you wanted to tap into Geelong you'd do a Western Melbourne team with a game or 2 there but you'd want a second team being city based

Issue potentially arises around aami park though, I'm not sure its got room for another tennant while the aleague and nrl seasons overlap

mongoose

Coach
Melbourne Surfer here
I very much doubt you'd have many more people than inner Melbourne in Western Sydney being avid surfers lol - as far as winter goes they came up with this nifty thing down in torquay called a wetsuit

and as a New South Welshmen I can safely say Sydney is boring as batshit in comparison..
how do you explain night games? Sydney was notorious for killing off its nightlife

The real reason is mentioned above, Sydney, and thus the NRL by extension, has a shit attendance and membership culture (probably because its near impossible to get around), you can even see this without using the other code as a comparison by just comparing NRL crowds & membership in Brisbane to Sydney

I'm from Canberra/Brisbane so I don't have any dog in the fight. I used to travel to Sydney and Melb a lot for work and probably enjoyed Melbourne CBD more than Sydney CBD. I will say this though, Melbournians have a massive chip on their shoulder and seem to be more obsessed with beating Sydney in things. They've just announced Melbourne is now the biggest city in Australia (by redrawing city boundaries lol). This will be seen as a huge win for Melbourne, but I doubt Sydney even cares.

Wb1234

Referee
I'm from Canberra/Brisbane so I don't have any dog in the fight. I used to travel to Sydney and Melb a lot for work and probably enjoyed Melbourne CBD more than Sydney CBD. I will say this though, Melbournians have a massive chip on their shoulder and seem to be more obsessed with beating Sydney in things. They've just announced Melbourne is now the biggest city in Australia (by redrawing city boundaries lol). This will be seen as a huge win for Melbourne, but I doubt Sydney even cares.
Melbourne was planned to be the biggest city in australia hence it’s better road system whilst Sydney just experienced chaotic population growth and our haphazard street design couldn’t cope

Sydney was close to being named the capital which caused melborians to get upset so they picked a capital half way between both (which was in the middle of nowhere)

and why didn’t they build Melbourne on the coast or waterway near Docklands instead of that ugly river

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
and why didn’t they build Melbourne on the coast or waterway near Docklands instead of that ugly river
because the river provided the best place to dock ships at the time. The current Docklands area was swamp until the 1880s, the original docks were adjacent to the city.
Port Phillip Bay itself is too exposed to be much use as a harbour

Wb1234

Referee
because the river provided the best place to dock ships at the time. The current Docklands area was swamp until the 1880s, the original docks were adjacent to the city.
Port Phillip Bay itself is too exposed to be much use as a harbour
The winner is ….

Sydney

flippikat

Bench
I often wonder where the game would be today if not for super league

it set back rugby league here probably close to 15 years
I maintain that Superleague in *itself* didn't set back the game - actually the war ushered in some big innovation in rules & broadcasting.

The rushed & self-interest filled peace settlement (and it's resulting mad dash to a 14 team competition with shotgun marriages & axing of strategically important teams) did IMMENSE damage, however.

Wb1234

Referee
I maintain that Superleague in *itself* didn't set back the game - actually the war ushered in some big innovation in rules & broadcasting.

The rushed & self-interest filled peace settlement (and it's resulting mad dash to a 14 team competition with shotgun marriages & axing of strategically important teams) did IMMENSE damage, however.
No war no peace

and Murdoch owning half the game for 15 years and allowing really bad tv deals was a disaster for the nrl

the only good tv deal we got was the one where the commission was formed and news ltd had lost first and last rights

flippikat

Bench
No war no peace

and Murdoch owning half the game for 15 years and allowing really bad tv deals was a disaster for the nrl

the only good tv deal we got was the one where the commission was formed and news ltd had lost first and last rights
Fair point, without the war we wouldn't be in a position where News Ltd was 50% owner of the NRL for two decades.. and admittedly it's tough to think of a peace deal where they didn't have a major stake in the new competition... but the building blocks were there for a decent competition in late 1997 - the lightning speed & un-coordinated way it was done was particularly shoddy and short-sighted.

Wb1234

Referee
Fair point, without the war we wouldn't be in a position where News Ltd was 50% owner of the NRL for two decades.. and admittedly it's tough to think of a peace deal where they didn't have a major stake in the new competition... but the building blocks were there for a decent competition in late 1997 - the lightning speed & un-coordinated way it was done was particularly shoddy and short-sighted.
If Murdoch had left it alone that 20 team comp would’ve kept growing

maybe wests would’ve relocated or Cronulla

the only gain was the storm but we lost Perth crushers Gold Coast south’s St George for nothing

Wb1234

Referee
We got lucky. The original settlement was at the mouth of the Cooks River near Wolli creek but they shifted it to The Rocks/Circular Quay after realising it wasn’t a suitable site
Didn’t know that lol

that would’ve been a disaster

taipan

Referee
Melbourne Surfer here
I very much doubt you'd have many more people than inner Melbourne in Western Sydney being avid surfers lol - as far as winter goes they came up with this nifty thing down in torquay called a wetsuit

and as a New South Welshmen I can safely say Sydney is boring as batshit in comparison..
how do you explain night games? Sydney was notorious for killing off its nightlife

The real reason is mentioned above, Sydney, and thus the NRL by extension, has a shit attendance and membership culture (probably because its near impossible to get around), you can even see this without using the other code as a comparison by just comparing NRL crowds & membership in Brisbane to Sydney
Sydney surfer(body) here and been so for yonks. There are stacks of Westies who come to Cronulla beach via wait for it a railway line whose station is about 500m from the beach.
There are kids in the nippers who parents bring them from non beachside suburbs.And I dare say Manly
Warringah has the same.
A fellow by the name of Mick Fanning(world champ) the guy who surfs with and judo chops white pointers is from around Penrith.
I'd put up Sydney metro and Wollongong beaches up against what Melbourne has to offer any time of the day..
I spent 2 days at a sales seminar some years back in Melbourne night time at pubs, and the most enjoyable experience was taxiing on Tullamarine to head North.
Sydney killed off Kings Cross agreed ,but it was hardly a place you'd take your girlfriend or wife at times.There are plenty of entertainment outlets throughout the suburbs.
Plus I repeat you have a media that sucks up to their code ,that promotes their code as opposed to the poor media offering in Sydney.And you never as a city experienced the joy(LOL) of Super league.At least you confirmed the transport infrastructure as being sh&thouse.

A

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Z sa
Sydney surfer(body) here and been so for yonks. There are stacks of Westies who come to Cronulla beach via wait for it a railway line whose station is about 500m from the beach.
There are kids inn the nippers who parents big them from non beachside suburbs.And I dare say Manly Warring has the same.
A fellow by the name of Mick Fanning(world champ) the guy who surfs with and judo chops white pointers is from around Penrith.
I'd put up Sydney metro and Wollongong beaches up against what Melbourne has to offer any time of the day..
I spent 2 days at a sales seminar some years back and the most enjoyable experience was taxiing on Tullamarine to head North.
Sydney killed off Kings Cross agreed ,but it was hardly a place you take your girlfriend or wife at times.There are plenty entertainment outlets throughout the suburbs.
Plus I repeat you have a media that sucks up to their code ,that promotes their code as opposed to the. poor media offering in Sydney.And you never as a city experienced the joy(LOL) of Super league.
doings bags at the cross then going to sapphire to hang with nrl players was a ritual lol

at 3 am in the cross there wasn’t a single person who wasn’t on something

cross is coming back clubs are opening again

no mention ofc of Carmen’s northies and the vinyl room

taipan

Referee
How does that explain crowds in perth,adelaide, brisbane and Sydney for afl? The old city is boring nonsense is nearly as poor a reason as nrl is better on tv lol
The Giants and Suns crowds ,the latter in an area where many Victorians have moved are hardly an example of CROWDS.
As to the Swans and Lions ,if you don't understand the impact of the SL war(which even Swans admin have admitted assisted them greatly),then you ignore the reality of the RL split- in members, fans and even families.Most saw the impact Souths getting the flick and and the Bears.

It is only now in the latter years that the NRL has got its sh*t together and it is now showing with membership, crowds,TV ratings and the guts to expand that we don't need excuses ,but at the same time we cannot ignore what transpired in 1995 and the impact it had for decades.

Last edited: