What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Sauce

OVP

Coach
Not really a fan of crab at all because its not worth the effort, it so fiddly pulling them apart for the ratio of meat you get, blue swimmers are definitely the best eating though but give me a Moreton Bay bug or a Balmain Bug any day over crab.

Oh no no no Sir Horrie. You won't be getting me to eat the cockroach of the sea. No no no chance in hell, baby :D

OVP

Coach
They are delicious :D

Normally, I don't care how something looks, if it tastes good I will eat it. I'm not one of those wussy chef's who won't eat things unless it looks good.

But dat thing is a cockroach. I hate cockroaches lol. I can't get past how it looks lol.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Normally, I don't care how something looks, if it tastes good I will eat it. I'm not one of those wussy chef's who won't eat things unless it looks good.

But dat thing is a cockroach. I hate cockroaches lol. I can't get past how it looks lol.
I was reading a book of useless trivia today and as soon as a cockroach is in contact with human skin, it jumps off, runs away and cleans itself.

Dirty f**king humans.....

Reactions: OVP

horrie hastings

First Grade
The one thing that amazes me about fishing Sydney Harbour have been the amazing variety of fish that I have caught over the years, most of the bread and butter species like bream, flathead, leatherjacket, whiting, tailor, trevally, snapper but also have caught john dory, sweep, tarwhine ,red morwong, banded morwong, goat fish, surgeon fish, black trevally and groper, the surgeon fish are buggers when you are fishing for leatherjackets because they run straight for the pylons, have only managed to land a couple but always return them to the water, the goat fish are a great by catch of fishing for leatherjackets, they are delicious grilled. The one really odd fish I caught one day was a barramundi cod, they are usually only found on the reefs up in FNQ so was actually stunned when I pulled this one in, I could have kept it but it looked so beautiful I returned it to the water, this was back in the 80s, they are rated as a one of the best eating fish ever, apparently better than Coral Trout from what I have heard but I will never know because they are only now catch and release in QLD.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Lol, I also like black pudding but if I had to think of what it is made out of I probably wouldn't even think about eating it, just lucky I was fed it when I was young and liked the taste.

beave

Coach
The one thing that amazes me about fishing Sydney Harbour have been the amazing variety of fish that I have caught over the years, most of the bread and butter species like bream, flathead, leatherjacket, whiting, tailor, trevally, snapper but also have caught john dory, sweep, tarwhine ,red morwong, banded morwong, goat fish, surgeon fish, black trevally and groper, the surgeon fish are buggers when you are fishing for leatherjackets because they run straight for the pylons, have only managed to land a couple but always return them to the water, the goat fish are a great by catch of fishing for leatherjackets, they are delicious grilled. The one really odd fish I caught one day was a barramundi cod, they are usually only found on the reefs up in FNQ so was actually stunned when I pulled this one in, I could have kept it but it looked so beautiful I returned it to the water, this was back in the 80s, they are rated as a one of the best eating fish ever, apparently better than Coral Trout from what I have heard but I will never know because they are only now catch and release in QLD.

Barra Cod? Wow, I have never heard of them til now.

I have only ever been spear fishing once in my life. Up near Ingham off the huge wharf they have for the sugar. Amazing experience but a huge pain in the ass to shot the fish and re-load. My mates were pros, hauling in all sorts of shit meanwhile im shooting at f**king shadows...... the first time you see a reef shark and your in a wet suit swimming near it in the water you really start contemplating wtf you are doing there.

freshly speared lobster is amazing though.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Here is video of one, the one I landed wasn't quite as big but was still totally amazing for Sydney Harbour, the fish was a long way from home.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Barra Cod? Wow, I have never heard of them til now.

I have only ever been spear fishing once in my life. Up near Ingham off the huge wharf they have for the sugar. Amazing experience but a huge pain in the ass to shot the fish and re-load. My mates were pros, hauling in all sorts of shit meanwhile im shooting at f**king shadows...... the first time you see a reef shark and your in a wet suit swimming near it in the water you really start contemplating wtf you are doing there.

freshly speared lobster is amazing though.

The idea of running into any form of shark would put me off spear fishing or even diving for that matter.

Zadar

Juniors
Here is video of one, the one I landed wasn't quite as big but was still totally amazing for Sydney Harbour, the fish was a long way from home.

Workmate went to Montebello islands off Exmouth few months ago, each person got to take 20kg of fish back home, snap frozen and filleted immediately, he gave me some golden snapper, haven’t tried it yet, said it was one of the best he has eaten.

Also swears by the “any red fish is the best eating” theory. The size and variety of fish they were catching out there was unbelievable.

AJB1102

First Grade
One food that i reckon is highly over rated is sea scallops. Rubbish, utter rubbish.

Each to their own mate but cannot agree with that. When seared off perfect and still a little "under" in the middle they're the sweetest little gems to ever grace a plate. Paired with a nice little green apple slaw and I begin to understand crack addicts and their addiction problems.

Cowboy Pete

Juniors
First time I ventured into this part of the Forum. Looks like our Beave is multi talented. thought I would stalk him to see what he was up to. The Baby Ray Sauce was what attracted me though. As has been said, Cosco carry it and saw some in Aldi last week.

All the best for 2018 Beave and I will follow your cooking tips now I know you have an American background through marriage.

Pete

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
First time I ventured into this part of the Forum. Looks like our Beave is multi talented. thought I would stalk him to see what he was up to. The Baby Ray Sauce was what attracted me though. As has been said, Cosco carry it and saw some in Aldi last week.

All the best for 2018 Beave and I will follow your cooking tips now I know you have an American background through marriage.

Pete
You're most welcome!

On behalf of Beave.

Sweet Baby Ray's sauces are available at ALDI every now and them but I prefer to make my own marinade or rub by googling how the Americans make it, bit of a fan of BBQ Pit Masters!.
Cheers mate, Aldi did have them. Whilst making stuff from scratch is better, I just couldnt be arsed since my main focus will be on cricket & beer tomorrow!

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I bought some Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce (474 mL) yesterday at Aldi for $3.99. Haven't tried it yet as I have no chicken.

I'm going to use it on drumsticks instead of wings because wings are a ripoff economically.

Wings have, by far, the lowest meat to bone ratio of any chicken cut at 54%. Factor in the skin and it drops to 33%.

Here's the source of the percentages from the Texas Agricultural Extension Service:-

http://posc.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2012/08/l-2290.pdf

beave

Coach
I bought some Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce (474 mL) yesterday at Aldi for $3.99. Haven't tried it yet as I have no chicken.

I'm going to use it on drumsticks instead of wings because wings are a ripoff economically.

Wings have, by far, the lowest meat to bone ratio of any chicken cut at 54%. Factor in the skin and it drops to 33%.

Here's the source of the percentages from the Texas Agricultural Extension Service:-

http://posc.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2012/08/l-2290.pdf

Maaaaaaate. Its about the sauce-meat ratio. Don’t worry about the meat-bone ratio.
Wings are good because they are the perfect size.

Are you deep frying your drumsticks or putting them in the oven?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Maaaaaaate. Its about the sauce-meat ratio. Don’t worry about the meat-bone ratio.
Wings are good because they are the perfect size.

Are you deep frying your drumsticks or putting them in the oven?
Probably deep frying. Sounds like you might have some tips.

Latest posts