What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swimming

alien

Referee
So I did a bit of reading on the USA swimming trials.
They hold it in a 20k attendance basketball stadium, have fire on the side of the pool and the crowd sounds like f**king suncorp stadium.
Olympics would be a walk in the park compared!

Lol I'm definitely tuning into this event in 4 years time.

lol the yanks don't mess around

alien

Referee
8374865_1454637811-842-jpg.9080
nice!

alien

Referee
Ryan Lochte and Three Teammates Robbed at Gunpoint
By REBECCA R. RUIZ and VICTOR MATHER
AUG. 14, 2016

15LOCHTE-master768.jpg

Ryan Lochte, left, was one of four American swimmers robbed in Rio de Janeiro. Credit Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

RIO DE JANEIRO — Ryan Lochte, an Olympic gold medalist in swimming, and three of his United States teammates were held up at gunpoint here early Sunday morning, according to the United States Olympic Committee, heightening anxiety over violent crime in the host city of the Summer Games.

Crime was already a top concern before the Rio Games began, as Brazil’s economic crisis deepened, pushing up unemployment and poverty rates. The Rio state government deployed a huge security force, and the streets surrounding the Olympic Park and the athletes’ village sometimes look like military compounds.

But, nonetheless, crimes have occurred more frequently than at other recent Olympics. On the night of the opening ceremony, the chief of security was mugged at knife point. Two coaches for Australia’s rowing team were attacked and robbed in the Ipanema neighborhood, while some Olympians were robbed of belongings in the athletes’ village during a fire drill. Bullets have landed in the equestrian venue, and a bus carrying members of the news media was attacked, its windows shattered.

On Sunday, Rio Olympics officials were confronted with the most high-profile crime yet.

Besides Lochte, the other United States swimmers robbed, according to a statement from the committee, were Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen.

“Their taxi was stopped by individuals posing as armed police officers who demanded the athletes’ money and other personal belongings,” a spokesman for the U.S.O.C. said. “All four athletes are safe and cooperating with authorities.”

The American swimmers robbed on Sunday had left a party at Club France, the French hospitality house established during the Rio Games in the upscale Lagoa neighborhood, the U.S.O.C. spokesman said.

15LOCHTEweb2-master675.jpg

The other United States swimmers robbed, according to a statement from the United States Olympic Committee, were Jimmy Feigen, left, Gunnar Bentz, and Jack Conger. Credit Tom Pennington/Getty Images, Eric Gay/Associated Press

Hugo Sppezapria, a spokesman for Club France, confirmed that the swimmers had spent several hours at a party there, which began at 11:30 p.m. on Saturday and lasted until 5 a.m.

The party featured electronic house music, he said, and the group had attended in celebration of another swimmer’s birthday. He estimated that the Americans had left around 3 a.m.

Sppezapria distanced the party from the episode, saying that a police car had been stationed outside Club France all night. “It sounds like a rough situation,” he said. “But it didn’t happen here.”

The American swimmers, local law enforcement officials and United States Olympic officials provided few details about what had happened. It was unclear where or at what time the incident happened, who was driving and what the swimmers did afterward.

The civil police in the state of Rio said they were investigating.

Lochte told NBC News that one of the men had put a cocked gun to his head.

“We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge — no lights, no nothing, just a police badge — and they pulled us over,” he said. “They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused — I was like, we didn’t do anything wrong, so — I’m not getting down on the ground.

“And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead, and he said, ‘Get down,’ and I put my hands up. I was like, whatever. He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cellphone, he left my credentials.”

“I think they’re all shaken up,” Ileana Lochte, the swimmer’s mother, told USA Today. “They just took their wallets, and basically that was it.”

Bentz and Conger participated in the heats of the 4x200-meter freestyle relay, but not the final. Feigen did the same in the 4x100-meter relay.

Lochte won a gold medal in the 4x200-meter freestyle relay and finished fifth in the 200-meter individual medley, his only individual event. The swimming competition at the Rio Games had concluded Saturday night.

Lochte initially denied reports of the robbery through Olympic officials.

At a news conference on Sunday, another American swimmer, Ryan Murphy, mentioned the multiple security briefings the team had received before the Games. “I think we all trust our security guys, and they’ve done a great job,” he said.

A spokesman for U.S.A. Swimming declined at the news conference to specify what instructions those briefings had provided but noted that they had included tips on transportation in Rio.

Conflicting accounts of the taxi episode had swirled on Sunday morning, after a spokesman for the International Olympic Committee said that reports of the robbery were “absolutely not true,” citing information that had been provided by the United States committee.

After Ileana Lochte’s statements that her son had indeed been robbed, the I.O.C. spokesman said he had simply passed along information from the American Olympic officials. “They said they spoke to Lochte, and he said it wasn’t true,” the spokesman said. “I guess that may change.”

Ryan Lochte’s Twitter feed was silent on the matter; his last post was made Saturday, a picture of him with the snowboarder Shaun White. He did not respond Sunday to a request for comment.

David Marsh, Ryan Lochte’s coach, referred inquiries to U.S.A. Swimming, which did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/s...-three-teammates-robbed-at-gunpoint.html?_r=0

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
We could replicate this, the Australian swimming championships is a popular event and a lot of people tune in.
Promote it a bit and have the atmosphere like that.
It's easy to see how Phelps and Ledecky became superstars having competed in that environment at like 15 years old.
Chalmers had to fight his butt off for a spot in the free against a number of guys.

Apparently the swimmers traveled on their own plane, am I hearing this right?
Cause thats surely a recipe for success!

alien

Referee
Marathon swimmer stripped of medal after dunking rival's head under water inches before finish line of a gruelling 2-hour race

It's been dubbed more like a wrestling match than a swimming content as controversy marred the Olympic 10km marathon final with one competitor being stripped of her medal.

French swimmer Aurelie Muller has been disqualified for pushing her Italian rival Rachele Bruni under the water at the finish line, grappling with her after the gruelling race.

BBvFliG.img

Aurelie Muller of France competes in the Women's 10km Marathon Swimming.

Muller and Bruni were locked in a battle for second and it all came down to a few metres after nearly TWO hours of swimming.

And Muller didn't want to be undone with competitors required to reach up and touch a board to stop the clock on the line.

As both thrashed away in the closing meters, Muller decided to reach out and push Bruni under water in order to prevent her from touching the board and was therefore disqualified from the Rio 2016 event.

BBvF3Pp.img

Silver medalist Rachele Bruni of Italy poses on the podium.

Bruni could not hide her delight at the decision from the Olympic judges afterwards when speaking to the Italian media.

"The French swimmer has sunk me," claimed Bruni. "At the finish she obstructed me and I could not touch the board. I am glad of the decision of the judges.”

The Netherlands' Sharon Van Rouwendaal took the gold in a time of 1:56:32.1 with Muller initially +16.6 behind and Bruni a further 0.8 back.

BBvFe8i.img

Aurelie Muller is disqualified from the 10km swim marathon.

Now French swimming fans are calling it a 'fix', as a Brazilian has been bumped up to third place and given the bronze.

Keri-Anne Payne misses out on medal in swimming marathon as Sharon van Rouwendaal claims gold

But after Muller's sanction, Bruni was pushed up into the silver medal and Brazil's Poliana Okimoto claimed a bronze for the host nation.

Great Britain's Keri-Anne Payne failed to medal after finishing seventh in a time of 1:57:23.9.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/olym...ur-race/ar-BBvF8gN?li=AAavLaF&ocid=spartanntp

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
saw that, the French girl got pretty physical, looked more like water polo

Shorty

Staff member
So this is us (Jarrod) in front again in the marathon swim.
Massive gap but...
His arms look red as f**k from the exertion.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Opinion piece by former swimmer Marieke Guehrer. Comparing Australian government funding of Swimming Australia to ADF funding in the middle east. FMD...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/marieke-dcruz/before-you-judge-our-swimmers/
Easily the most geniused thing I've read on here in a while, and that includes r20, aliens and ibm's posts.

This is part of the problem. People within the swimming community have such a high opinions of themselves, that they feel no guilt at taking tax payer money without getting the results. They honestly think they can compare themselves to adf or hospital staff? We pay the the swim team so much money to perform their best at the Olympics. It's not about the gold medal count, it's about doing your best in the one event that matters every 4 years. That's all we ask for. Doesn't matter if you are beaten by a better swimmer from a better system, as long you've put in 100% at the olympics. For so many of our world champs to put in such bad performances isn't acceptable. Hopefully the criticism of 2 olympics in a row will start breeding some much needed mental toughness

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The article does not address the fact that we had so many no 1 ranked swimmers and teams that didn't medal.

Also the fact that swimmers were 1 second and more outside their PB. That surely has to do with our preparation for the games, as we are good enough to earn the no1 ranked title but not good enough at the games.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah the writer seems to miss the point completely and is taking extremes.
I certainly don't think they failed, but if they aren't disappointed after this Olympic performance then they shouldn't be competing for Australia.

That being said I think it's a coaching issue and the swimmers shouldn't be the ones taking heat for it.

Frankus

Juniors
Not surprised regarding the behaviour.

The AIS won't help swimming. As I said somewhere earlier in this thread - prior to 2004 Olympics and Jodie Henry - the AIS had never produced an individual gold medallist at an Olympics in swimming. And one could argue that she merely transferred from Brisbane to Canberra with coach Shannon Rollason.

Latest posts