What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney grand final to 2012

The Colonel

Immortal
June 2, 2006

The NRL Grand Final will remain in Sydney until at least 2012 under a new six-year, $3 million agreement between the NSW Government and the National Rugby League.

The deal was announced on Friday by NSW premier Morris Iemma and NRL chief executive David Gallop at Telstra Stadium.

In addition to securing the grand final for Sydney from 2007, the agreement provides for the funding to boost the game's grassroots development program, including dedicated programs for regional and indigenous rugby league.

"This agreement is great news for rugby league fans in the game's true heartland of NSW and for the future generation of players right across the State," Iemma said.

"Rugby league is firmly entrenched as the dominant winter sport in NSW and that is why we have acted to ensure that our most traditional and prized centrepiece event remains here.

© 2006 AAP

jc155776

Coach
Did QLD even get a chance to counter offer?

Suncorp is the far superior footballing stadium, if the game has the Bronco's/Cowboys why not move it up there?? Telstra may hold more but it has nothing on Suncorp...

jc155776

Coach
Ur damn right fury. Been to many a stadium and it rocks everything else with atmosphere and viewing position. Even a "sh*t" seat gives you a better view of the game then a "good" seat at telstra. I am a NSW supporter but reckon Suncorp needs as many big games as possible.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I really think this sets a dangerous thing. As people have said earlier why would you play a NRL GF between Brisbane and the Cowboys in Sydney! Does not make sense!

t-ba

Post Whore
lockyno1 said:
I really think this sets a dangerous thing. As people have said earlier why would you play a NRL GF between Brisbane and the Cowboys in Sydney! Does not make sense!

Yes it does...

...Sydney is Rugby League's beating heart...It'd be like playing the SL grand final outside of the M62 corridor...

gunnamatta bay

Referee
lockyno1 said:

Then again waht about Brisbane and Melbourne?

lockyno1

Post Whore
t-ba said:
Yes it does...

...Sydney is Rugby League's beating heart...It'd be like playing the SL grand final outside of the M62 corridor...

Telstra is a shocking stadium for league! If Brisbane-NQ make the final I would hope that they would play it in the best stadium in the world and that stadium my friend is Suncorp!:cool:

lockyno1

Post Whore
gunnamatta bay said:
Then again waht about Brisbane and Melbourne?

I'd love for that game to be held at the MCG honestly to promote the game down in Melbourne!:)

Mr Saab

Referee
The GF should never ever ever be held outside of sydney. The game has few traditions left...this is a keeper.
Sure, Suncorp is a great stadium...kind of like the SFS in terms of viewing comfort, but they hold both hold 40k and 30k less than Telstra.
People at 1st were not too keen on the SFS, but they were brought around...the same think will happen with Telstra eventually.

Green Machine

First Grade
This bit sounds good. A bit more money for the for the Junior Development coffers:

June 2, 2006

The NRL Grand Final will remain in Sydney until at least 2012 under a new six-year, $3 million agreement between the NSW Government and the National Rugby League.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Suncorp is definatley a better stadium, but they have as much chance as getting the AFL grand final out of Melbourne

Copa

Bench
Paying to keep the grand final!!!!

This is quite a turn of events. Everything can be used to get money nowadays..

IN the future this could bring in some serious money for the NRL

innsaneink

Referee
Traditions.

Lets have the melb cup at Randwick for a change...

The Sydney to Auckland yacht race on Boxing day....

The Boxing day test at the WACA

Bathurst at Oran park....

Copa

Bench
innsaneink said:
Traditions.

Lets have the melb cup at Randwick for a change...

The Sydney to Auckland yacht race on Boxing day....

The Boxing day test at the WACA

Bathurst at Oran park....
it may be more that the NRL is very slowly removing a NSWRL image...

yobbo84

Coach
As we all know the NRL comes from the ARL/SuperLeague which spawned from the ARL which grew from the NEW SOUTH WALES RUGBY LEAGUE!

It's not the NSWRL's fault that the QLD Cup is crap and teams north and south of the border wanted to enter OUR competition :p:D

The final stays here!

Nonny1980

Juniors
The final should always be in Sydney. I recall the AFL Grand Final last year was between West Coast and Sydney. If they can sell out their stadium for out of state teams then we should be able to as well.

Copa

Bench
Nonny1980 said:
The final should always be in Sydney. I recall the AFL Grand Final last year was between West Coast and Sydney. If they can sell out their stadium for out of state teams then we should be able to as well.
why should it always be in sydney??

What's wrong with it going interstate??