What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney grand final to 2012

Front-Rower

First Grade
I honestly believe you can not move the grand final from Sydney. It is the home and origin of rugby league in Australia.

These clubs from interstate have to understand that they were INVITED into the NSWRL/ARL competition. 9 teams from the Sydney basin, yes 9 teams from Sydney, make up the majority of the National Rugby League some of you people believe in.

Its only called the national rugby league because of the merger and the fact the nswrl handed control of the club competition to the ARL in 1996.

Copa

Bench
Front-Rower said:
I honestly believe you can not move the grand final from Sydney. It is the home and origin of rugby league in Australia.

These clubs from interstate have to understand that they were INVITED into the NSWRL/ARL competition. 9 teams from the Sydney basin, yes 9 teams from Sydney, make up the majority of the National Rugby League some of you people believe in.

Its only called the national rugby league because of the merger and the fact the nswrl handed control of the club competition to the ARL in 1996.
I think your timing is out... the attitude in the NRL seems quite clear to this issue.

What you don't want to happen is starting to occur.... Gallop has said offers were looked at and Sydney provided the best... That the NRL would even consider offers and consider moving the GF is quite a change.

Nonny1980

Juniors
Copa said:
I think your timing is out... the attitude in the NRL seems quite clear to this issue.

What you don't want to happen is starting to occur.... Gallop has said offers were looked at and Sydney provided the best... That the NRL would even consider offers and consider moving the GF is quite a change.
I won't believe they are moving the Grand Final from sydney until i see it. Of course they are going to say we will look at all the offers. How else are they going to get the nsw government to pay them money if they say... "we will never move the grand final from sydney".

Come on, some people in here are so young and innocent they dont even know how negotiations work. You dont go to negotiations and say.. "we are never going to move the grand final from sydney, please give us $500,000 a year to keep the grand final in sydney".

Please, some of you wake up!

Copa

Bench
innsaneink said:
So copa....when Brisbane do bid and do eventually win the rights to hold the GF....sometime from 2013 and beyond....it will be around this time of the season when the decision is made, you cant wait until August or September to decide something of this magnatude, how many do you think we'll see at say, a Warriors v Panthers or a Storm v Wests Tigers...a Raiders v Sharks GF at Suncorp?
the've already announced a sydney grand final in 2012... that's a long way out.

I think they'll give you more than a few months notice if it were to go to brisbane.

I think it'll sell out regardless of who will be playing.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Copa said:

Yeah their attitude is to bring in another Gold Coast entity, which has already failed 3 times.

Rugby League is a game that was born and breed in Sydney. Lets keep the Grand Final in Sydney.

Abandon the home semi finals and play the first week of finals in Brisbane and have a carnival type atmosphere over 3 days, move onto maybe Townsville/Canberra/Melbourne for the 2nd Week, then move into Sydney for the final two weeks.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Copa, you can have an expression of intrest from someone without seeking it, you know.

And for the fool who mentioned the current top 4 - 2 of those teams are closer to Telstra than Suncorp.

And how the f**k does a Suncorp GF advantage North Queensland?????? What, the plane on thelong flight south lands 10 minutes earlier????

When you get down to the bone, it's simply Brisbane whinging again. :roll:

BTW, when was the last GF that didn't feature a Sydney based side?

Misty Bee

First Grade
pennnywisealfie said:
you talk about tradition? the Grand Final has only been played at Telstra for the last 6 years, and before that at the SFS for 10 years so NSW isnt much for tradition.

Everything leans in favour of Queensland yet David Gallop and the rest of the stupid N(SW)RL show there love for sydney again, bullsh*t.

So only a GF at the RAS showground would preserve tradition?????

Nothing leans in favour of a QLD GF, because you would disadvantage 15 clubs. Telstra is more central to 14 clubs. And if the GF was at Suncorp, NQ would STILL be the second furthest away.

How the f**k does that advantage anyone but the Broncos??????

brendothejet

First Grade
LOOK IM A NSWELSHMAN THROUGH AND THROUGH.

I CANT SAY I'D MIND SEEING THE NRL GF GO WALKABOUTS EVERY 4 YEARS.

SYDNEY
SYDNEY
SYDNEY
BRISBANE
SYDNEY
SYDNEY
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

ETC

NOW EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT HEART OF THE GAME BLAH BLAH...THEN WHY IS ECVERYONE EXCITED ABOUT THE ORIGIN GAME IN MELBOURNE?

LOOK PEOPLE WHO ARE SYDNEY CENTRALISED ARE GEESE. RL IS SUCH A GREAT GAME WE SHOULD DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO SHOW IT TO THE COUNTRY AND THE WORLD!

lOOK AT WHAT THE POMMIES DID WITH THE CHALLENGE CUP FINAL. MOVED IT TO CARDIFF AND SOLD THE BASTARD OUT THREE TIMES IN A ROW. EVERYONE LOVES THE EVENT THERE NOW! LEAGUES GROWING IN LEAPS AND BOUNDS THERE.

Front-Rower

First Grade
brendothejet said:
LOOK IM A NSWELSHMAN THROUGH AND THROUGH.

I CANT SAY I'D MIND SEEING THE NRL GF GO WALKABOUTS EVERY 4 YEARS.

SYDNEY
SYDNEY
SYDNEY
BRISBANE
SYDNEY
SYDNEY
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

ETC

NOW EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT HEART OF THE GAME BLAH BLAH...THEN WHY IS ECVERYONE EXCITED ABOUT THE ORIGIN GAME IN MELBOURNE?

LOOK PEOPLE WHO ARE SYDNEY CENTRALISED ARE GEESE. RL IS SUCH A GREAT GAME WE SHOULD DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO SHOW IT TO THE COUNTRY AND THE WORLD!

lOOK AT WHAT THE POMMIES DID WITH THE CHALLENGE CUP FINAL. MOVED IT TO CARDIFF AND SOLD THE BASTARD OUT THREE TIMES IN A ROW. EVERYONE LOVES THE EVENT THERE NOW! LEAGUES GROWING IN LEAPS AND BOUNDS THERE.

Ummm they moved that final to Cardiff because there is no Wembley Stadium at the moment. Most of the people who go that are Englishmen and woman who make the trip up.

Didn't Super League try and get the game shown to the world?? and look where that ended up having to beg the ARL to come to an agreement to amligimate back into competition.

brendothejet

First Grade
Front-Rower said:
Ummm they moved that final to Cardiff because there is no Wembley Stadium at the moment. Most of the people who go that are Englishmen and woman who make the trip up.

Didn't Super League try and get the game shown to the world?? and look where that ended up having to beg the ARL to come to an agreement to amligimate back into competition.

YEAH THEY DID BUT THEY COULD HAVE PLAYED AT OLD TRAFFORD, CITY OF MANCHESTER, ELLAND ROAD, EVEN TWICKENHAM BUT THEY DIDNT.

IM NOT SAYING PLAY THE GRAND FINAL IN SINGAPORE, BUT I MEAN IF VICTORIA AND QUEENSLAND ARE PART OF OUR COMP WHY NOT SHARE THE LOVE OF GRAND FINAL DAY.

SHOW WE ARENT AS UPETTY AND INSULAR AS THE f**kWITS DOWN SOUTH

LESStar58

Referee
Misty Bee said:
Sydney has given up, what, 4 home Origins to help spread the game?

When QLD can send an Origin to Townsville happily, start talking.

Sydney gave up NOTHING.....the NSWRL are probably quietly fuming that they are not getting the 3rd game. Moving the game here is an ARL decision and I'm sure the NSWRL are not the least bit happy about it!

Origin in TOwnsville? Good idea in practice but in theory it'd be bedlam a la the 2004 final against Brisbane! DFS would have to have its capacity upraded to at least 45K before Origin happens!

LESStar58

Referee
Front-Rower said:

Since Wembley closed for redevelopment the Chal;lenge Cup final has been played at Cardiff, Twickenham and Murrayfield.

Wembley was meant to be ready for this year and it won't be and the RFL have already booked Twickenham as a back-up venue.

Red Bear

Referee
Grand Final should be in Sydney. Always has been always should be. Our 2nd origin match - gone, half nsw clubs - gone, tests - gone but you aint taking the Grand Final!

brendothejet

First Grade
GoTheBears said:
Grand Final should be in Sydney. Always has been always should be. Our 2nd origin match - gone, half nsw clubs - gone, tests - gone but you aint taking the Grand Final!

OH MY GOD!

well i guess we better just take our ball and go home. we should kick out new zealand, brisbane, north queensland, canberra, melbourne and just go back to the 1970s.

knob.

Red Bear

Referee
where did i state i wanted the out of nsw clubs gone??? Just saying they cant take our grand final

Bitch :p

rugged

Juniors
Front-Rower said:
Yeah their attitude is to bring in another Gold Coast entity, which has already failed 3 times.

Rugby League is a game that was born and breed in Sydney. Lets keep the Grand Final in Sydney.

Abandon the home semi finals and play the first week of finals in Brisbane and have a carnival type atmosphere over 3 days, move onto maybe Townsville/Canberra/Melbourne for the 2nd Week, then move into Sydney for the final two weeks.

WHAT?? Look up your history books.

The rest of your argument sounds a really good suggestion though.

BrisVegas

Juniors
I am of the belief that it is a matter of time before the Grand Final is played at Suncorp Stadium every 4 to 5 years. The NRL has already taken the positive first step of introducing home finals during the first 3 weeks of Finals' Football from 2007. This idea that the Grand Final must be played in Sydney is a relic of a bygone era. The competition is the NRL - The National Rugby League competition, so lets treat it as such.

All this talk of which teams are favoured by a change in Grand Final location is rubbish. You should be asking what is in the best intrests of fans of the NRL in general. By moving a Grand Final every 4 years a far greater cross section of the NRL community is going to have the opportunity to watch the Grand Final live. The Grand Final could easily sellout in Sydney or Brisbane before it is known what teams will be playing.

If the Rugby Union Super 12/14 Grand Final can be played on different continents, the NRL Grand Final can be played in a different state.

I should also point out that QLD has committed to playing one of its' Origin games in Melbourne in 2009.

brendothejet

First Grade
GoTheBears said:
where did i state i wanted the out of nsw clubs gone??? Just saying they cant take our grand final

Bitch :p

yeah but the way you moan about what NSW has lost...

We still have clubs in every major part of sydney, soo and test matches each year, the lions share of finals and the best TV coverage...

stop crying about NSW and mvoe forward. The quicker people let go of NSW the quicker teams like the bears will have somewhere to go!

salivor

First Grade
History and tradition is slowly being torn down in our game but surely the Grand Final being in Sydney, still the heart of Rugby League must stay if for no other reason that it can hold 30k more than Suncorp.

For those who have said what if it was a Brisbane/Cowboys grand final, your only going to know 7 days in advance, the event is practically sold out at that point. Just about the biggest event on the Australian sporting calander has been planned months in advance and you think you can move that game to Brisbane in 7 days? It's logistically impossible.

Front-Rower

First Grade
rugged said:
WHAT?? Look up your history books.

The rest of your argument sounds a really good suggestion though.

Sorry, Yes I know the game was originated from Pommie Land, but in the context of this thread we are talking about the Australian history of the game...