What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney grand final to 2012

Copa

Bench
t-ba said:
No...A stadium that can actually rake in as much $$$ for the NRL in an area that's proven itself as loyal to RL as Sydney is when I'd consider it...

Since Brisbane is Maybe 2/5's the size of Sydney and Draws a quarter of it's NRL crowds, and also lacks a stadium with the size of Telstra, I'd say that day is quite a while away.

Just a Hint: I live in Brisbane ;-)
it's tv and sponsorship that bring in the big $. Not the seats right up the back at telstra stadium.

t-ba

Post Whore
Copa said:
it's tv and sponsorship that bring in the big $. Not the seats right up the back at telstra stadium.

What's a cheap ticket to the GF?

$40?

$40x30,000=$1,200,000!

The Corporate money is quite massive as well Copa. Don't delude yourself into thinking that Brisbane could get more for corporates than Sydney. It's got less of them and Sydney's corporate sector Dwarfs Brisbanes!

Hindyscrack

Bench
You cant just pick up and move a grandfinal in 7 days...

It is a MAJOR EVENT... Many many things need to be locked in well in advance... The reason government money has been poured into the NRL is the economic benefit the game provides Sydney... Visitor Numbers, Jobs Created

Sponsorship, Tickets, Corporate Hospitality, Signage, Pourage, Catering, Travel Arrangements, Off Field Events are all apart of the grandfinal. Not to mention the extra 30,000 tickets seats available...

There is no way a grandfinal would ever be moved just because two non-sydney teams are playing. The GF is now a major event and will allways sell out regardless of who is playing...

Copa

Bench
t-ba said:
What's a cheap ticket to the GF?

$40?

$40x30,000=$1,200,000!

The Corporate money is quite massive as well Copa. Don't delude yourself into thinking that Brisbane could get more for corporates than Sydney. It's got less of them and Sydney's corporate sector Dwarfs Brisbanes!
I know what you're trying to say...

but if it was such a cut and dry case for sydney... the state government wouldn't have to invest money to lock it in...

t-ba

Post Whore
Let's see QLD actually match the offer from NSW then...They have to compensate for;
A) Less corporate Facilities.
B) 30,000 less seats.

Good Luck...

rugged

Juniors
It's not a wonder they tried to do Super League as all the NRL / NSWRL has ever thought of is Sydney Sydney Sydney.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Copa said:
I see the warriors, cowboys, broncos, storm, raiders (and soon the titans will be there) in the nrl too..

Seeing as the NSW government actually had to act to keep the GF in sydney...to actually have to take steps to lock it in with the NRL for sydney .... i think it shows the GF will eventually move elsewhere every now and then.

It seems the glass is half empty with a lot of you people. Read into the language, this is wonderful news.

The government is now paying 1/2 million per year for the grand final to be shown there. I think this move is unprecedented and is showing the NRL is looking at new revenues streams.

It has given an indication that future cities will bid for it. Hell if Newcastle wants to outbid, they can host the grand final.

The NRL have now shown they can sell the ground hosting rights for money as well as the TV rights. There'll still be over 3,000,000 people wating it on TV regardless of where it is played.

Well done NRL.

Timbo

Staff member
The AFL filled the MCG last season for Sydney and West Coast last year. So if they can do it, we can too.

The Grand Final will never leave Sydney.

miccle

Bench
Mr Saab said:
The GF should never ever ever be held outside of sydney. The game has few traditions left...this is a keeper.
Sure, Suncorp is a great stadium...kind of like the SFS in terms of viewing comfort, but they hold both hold 40k and 30k less than Telstra.
People at 1st were not too keen on the SFS, but they were brought around...the same think will happen with Telstra eventually.

Good call Saab, I totally agree.

I think there would be nothing wrong with Suncorp maybe getting one semi-final every year (would be great for a real neutral venue if there was two out of town teams) because it's a wonderful venue.

Quite simply though, the NRL grand final should ALWAYS be held in Sydney, and that's coming from a Queenslanders. Sydney is our games' heartland and it always will be.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I'm originally from Sydney, but I can't see why the GF should be held there every year.

The case about "30,000" more seats is just a stupid "my penis is bigger than yours" argument for the AFL types. The superbowl doesn't stay in one spot or go to the biggest stadium.

What a moving grand final does do is give a sense of ownership of the game, and more poignantly, the games showpiece, to more supporters.

A brisbane GF will entrench RL in Qld, and diminish AFL in Qld more than a Lions wooden spoon ever will.

The NRL are making up for lost revenue by making venues bid for it.

LESStar58

Referee
gunnamatta bay said:
Then again waht about Brisbane and Melbourne?

The AFL play at the MCG regardless of it being all intersate.... Sydney-siders are just gonna have to face up to the fact that it'll be an all out of NSW GF (hopefully Storm v Cowboys) soon!

Nonny1980

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
The AFL play at the MCG regardless of it being all intersate.... Sydney-siders are just gonna have to face up to the fact that it'll be an all out of NSW GF (hopefully Storm v Cowboys) soon!
I don't have a problem with that. Ill still go and Im sure the Stadium would still sell out. A grand final is an event not to be missed.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Geez Queenslanders can come up with dumb arguments at times....

Suncorp ffs!!! Expansion? How come when Queensland are slated to host 2 Origins, one never gets offered to Melbourne? Sydney has given up, what, 4 home Origins to help spread the game?

When QLD can send an Origin to Townsville happily, start talking.

Either that, or have more than 2 teams, plus whatever version of the Gold Coast house of cards you are going to come up with next.

Bloody hell, we may as well have the GF at bloody Seiffert, just in case the Raiders get in. At least there you are closer to the action than up the back at Suncorp. What about the Birdsville Showground, where you can lean on the fence? Can't get better viewing than that, can you????

It's Sydney's event - has been since 1908. The only time some bodgey idiots tried one away from Sydney, they had to ask Cronulla to make upthe numbers. :lol::lol::lol:

Stick to holding cane toad rooting contests, and let the big cities host the big events. OK?

Copa

Bench
Misty Bee said:
Geez Queenslanders can come up with dumb arguments at times....

Suncorp ffs!!! Expansion? How come when Queensland are slated to host 2 Origins, one never gets offered to Melbourne? Sydney has given up, what, 4 home Origins to help spread the game?

When QLD can send an Origin to Townsville happily, start talking.

Either that, or have more than 2 teams, plus whatever version of the Gold Coast house of cards you are going to come up with next.

Bloody hell, we may as well have the GF at bloody Seiffert, just in case the Raiders get in. At least there you are closer to the action than up the back at Suncorp. What about the Birdsville Showground, where you can lean on the fence? Can't get better viewing than that, can you????

It's Sydney's event - has been since 1908. The only time some bodgey idiots tried one away from Sydney, they had to ask Cronulla to make upthe numbers. :lol::lol::lol:

Stick to holding cane toad rooting contests, and let the big cities host the big events. OK?

From David Gallop himself... they wouldn't be taking bids, offers and $, if it was to be in Sydney forever.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/sydney-locks-in-grand-final-for-six-years/2006/06/02/1148956528593.html
NRL chief executive David Gallop said that despite interest from other states in hosting the event the NSW offer was too good to refuse.

innsaneink

Referee
So copa....when Brisbane do bid and do eventually win the rights to hold the GF....sometime from 2013 and beyond....it will be around this time of the season when the decision is made, you cant wait until August or September to decide something of this magnatude, how many do you think we'll see at say, a Warriors v Panthers or a Storm v Wests Tigers...a Raiders v Sharks GF at Suncorp?

Scoddy

Juniors
All hail Sydney and all that reside there,for us plebs in the lesser states should realise that Sydney is the centre of the universe and all residents are of a higher race and deserve the best of everything.

I am shocked that the NFL Superbowl and Wimbledon organisers haven't been knocking on King Iemma's door seeking to change venues in order to conduct their events in what is clearly the centre of the sporting universe in front of the the most righteous and deserving race of people on earth.

:roll:

Pathetic. so much for NRL. We might as well go back to being called NSWRL. so is this NSW reward for not even selling out origin 1? even though Queensland sold out origin 2 in 3 days and in 2004 sold out Game 3 despite being 2-0 down in the series.

Look at the league table at present Broncos, Storm, Cowboys, Knights....all outside of sydney teams, lead the competition.

Rugby League is still the number 1 sport in queensland, i doubt that is the case in fickle old sydney.

you talk about tradition? the Grand Final has only been played at Telstra for the last 6 years, and before that at the SFS for 10 years so NSW isnt much for tradition.

Everything leans in favour of Queensland yet David Gallop and the rest of the stupid N(SW)RL show there love for sydney again, bullsh*t.