What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor has lost his job

Does anyone else think Balmain Leagues Club weren't in financial trouble before Benny bought the $23.5 million debt??? Maybe I somehow jumped into a parallel universe where they weren't in financial trouble! This must be the so called "Mandela Effect", no? :p

Couldn't give a shit how deep Balmain Leagues are in the hole, Wests Ashfield control the Wests Tigers now and are tipping into the kitty (pun intended,) and they are more than happy to continue on as the Wests Tigers.

Balmain has far more in common with the original incarnation of Wests than what the blow-ins at Campbelltown ever did.

alien

Referee
assets are great but if you're losing millions a year in operations those assets aren't much use unless you flog them off ala Cronulla, I'm guessing Balmain assets were required for operations so not able to be sold off to cover debt?

He is delusional. He is trying to save the supposed honour of Balmain's management. What's the point??? Lol.

nwlg1d.jpg

I have no problem with the sacking, Taylor's tenure has been a shamble since the day he walked in. What is ridiculous though, is why they didn't do this in October. Whoever we bring in (looks like it will be Cleary) is now essentially 3 games behind everyone else. They've had no off season with the squad & they're playing catch up. I just hope the coaches & players sacking each other is done at the club, we are going no where until we get stability. If the "big 4" don't like this new coach then they can all f**k off (I don't think Woodsy will go anywhere and I think Teddy will stay too, the other two need to aim up or piss off).

Tiger5150

Bench
assets are great but if you're losing milliOns ayear in operations those assets aren't much use unless you flog them off ala Cronulla, I'm guessing Balmain assets were required for operations so not able to be sold off to cover debt?

Not quite. Its good to have more assets than debt but you still need the cash to service liabilities. Balmain were not producing enough income. You can simply sell the assets to pay off liabilities ...or ...as Balmain tried to do, you can keep the assets but develop them so that they produce income (eg turn a leagues club into multi story residential with commercial properties and the Government renting the basement for a Metro station).

The original development was stamped as critical infrastructure by NSW Government and the Metro station was integral to it. Then NSW govt scrapped the Metro which meant the development had to go through normal approval processes, it didnt get approved, GFC happened, Tigers tight for cash, had already moved out, in stepped Benny and screwed them. Benny took the assets and the debt and the idea was Balmain move back in and operate rent free. Never happened.

Can we not let this derail the thread. This is ancient history and this thread is discussing more important current issues. Lets not let Aliens trolling spoil the thread.

alien

Referee
You can simply sell the assets to pay off liabilities ...or ...as Balmain tried to do, you can keep the assets but develop them so that they produce income (eg turn a leagues club into multi story residential with commercial properties and the Government renting the basement for a Metro station).

The original development was stamped as critical infrastructure by NSW Government and the Metro station was integral to it. Then NSW govt scrapped the Metro which meant the development had to go through normal approval processes, it didnt get approved, GFC happened, Tigers tight for cash

It's always someone else's fault! Balmain had decades where they could have invested in property! Too bad, so sad!

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's always someone else's fault! Balmain had decades where they could have invested in property! Too bad, so sad!

I've never known 'rep points' could upset someone so much. Do you delete your friends on Facebook if they don't give you enough likes?

beave

Coach
Great post but sadly you are wasting your time with this shitstain.

I could be wrong but I remember there was a news report done on the site a couple of months back and they said despite all the dramas it was still valued at over $50million.

I take it the tigers don't have amy r
He is delusional. He is trying to save the supposed honour of Balmain's management. What's the point??? Lol.

nwlg1d.jpg

why are you pointing at the leagues club???......

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
he was triggered big league! lol

20 years on and we are still in the factional fight over which old boys group should control the club...

The worst thing is that fans are tricked into believing guys like Benny are working for the fans and for the club. Nah, its just a cynical attemp to take a crisis and benefit themselves.

Edit: and to say that a player should be given a contract for life because their dad works at the club just shows the boys-club mentality these bloke have.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
Jason Taylor's responds to Paul Sironen's allegations.

"Sacked Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor has broken his silence to defend himself against an attack by Balmain legend Paul Sironen, who publicly celebrated the dumping of Taylor.

Sironen delivered a withering send-off to Taylor on Monday night, saying "karma's a bitch" and telling the coach not to "let the door hit you out on the way out" - still fuming that he and his son Curtis had been punted from the club.

Sironen blamed the NRL coach, but Taylor has defended himself by insisting the decision to send the club legend packing from his role with the club's under-20s team was not his.

"I want to respond to some of Paul Sironen's published allegations about me," Taylor said. "I never sacked Paul Sironen and I never communicated his sacking to him. I also never made any decisions about NYC staffing at that time.

"As to Paul's comments about what was said after he was sacked, I in fact went up to him, shook his hand and gave him my commiserations. He looked me in the eye and said, 'It's OK, I know it wasn't your decision'."

The former NSW State of Origin and Kangaroos forward was filthy over his exit from the joint-venture outfit three years ago following Smith's review, saying he was told by Taylor and football manager Phil Moss he would no longer be required."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...inst-paul-sironen-attack-20170321-gv33jy.html

alien

Referee
I think Siro was just bitter about his son not being offered another contract by Jason Taylor, but Siro Junior wasn't playing well.

I don't blame the club for getting rid of Jason Taylor. They should never have signed him for 3 years in the first place. He is an average coach. A good coach wouldn't tell Farah to never run or kick from dummy half.

I think Siro was just bitter about his son not being offered another contract by Jason Taylor, but Siro Junior wasn't playing well.

I don't blame the club for getting rid of Jason Taylor. They should never have signed him for 3 years in the first place. He is an average coach. A good coach wouldn't tell Farah to never run or kick from dummy half.

Who says they didn't tell him to? Farah is a law unto himself at times on the field.

P.S. I get a good gut laugh every time you post that pic, I can imagine you hunched over the steering wheel of your 1986 Mitsubishi Colt wearing those servo sunnies cutting laps of Victoria Road to take selfies of yourself flipping off a building.

Slothfield's bagging of Moses and Brooks was ridiculous.

No it wasn't. That was great TV. Elias tried to say his nephew was as good as Cooper Cronk. Rothfield rightly put him in his place. He may be a jackass, but he's got the guts to say it like it is, even to the relatives of overrated players. I respect him more now.

alien

Referee
No it wasn't. That was great TV. Elias tried to say his nephew was as good as Cooper Cronk. Rothfield rightly put him in his place. He may be a jackass, but he's got the guts to say it like it is, even to the relatives of overrated players. I respect him more now.
Correct.

Clifferd

Coach
No it wasn't. That was great TV. Elias tried to say his nephew was as good as Cooper Cronk

No he didn't lol

He said he THINKS these 4 players COULD be as important to the Tigers as what the big 4 were to Melbourne. He definitely did not say they were equal or better. There's a difference

How that's not reasonable to suggest I have no idea. These 4 players have never played under an experienced coach, only rookies.

Clifferd

Coach
Who says they didn't tell him to? Farah is a law unto himself at times on the field.

P.S. I get a good gut laugh every time you post that pic, I can imagine you hunched over the steering wheel of your 1986 Mitsubishi Colt wearing those servo sunnies cutting laps of Victoria Road to take selfies of yourself flipping off a building.

Surprised he didn't try and eat the building while he was at it the fat f**k

The following was published today by the Sydney Morning Herald -

Clock ticking as Wests Tigers discuss placing signing deadline on Tedesco, Woods, Moses and Brooks
by Michael Chammas

D-Day is looming at the Wests Tigers with the club considering imposing a signing deadline on the big four.

At a board meeting inside Wests-Ashfield Leagues Club on Monday night, Tigers' hierarchy discussed giving an ultimatum to James Tedesco, Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks: Either sign for us, or we'll sign others.

It's a decision that will set the club and its superstar quartet on a collision course and force the four into a decision in the coming weeks.

It's remained under wraps but Wests Tigers management had actually put offers on the table to keep them at the club before the start of the season. The players didn't budge then and it's unlikely they will budge now.

The players want to know who will be coaching the Tigers in 2018 and beyond before putting pen to paper. Problem is, the club expects the process to appoint a new coach to take more than two months, and aren't willing to wait that long to establish their roster for next season.

Negotiations are ongoing with the big four, but if they stall any longer - the ultimatum is forthcoming.

Anthony Milford, Josh Reynolds, Jack Bird, Chad Townsend, Kieran Foran, Shaun Johnson and Gareth Widdop headline the list of off-contract playmakers, which is why the Tigers want to know if Brooks and Moses want to remain at the club.

The Tigers are also fed up over a perception they are being held to ransom by their manager, Isaac Moses, and will attempt to shift the balance of power with a take it or leave it ultimatum.

The club's football committee gathered on Tuesday to begin the hunt for a new coach. Ivan Cleary is expected to be atop that list. The club will consider all applications and are expected to go to the board with at least three recommendations.

At this stage there are no plans to fast-track the coaching appointment process, however that could change if there is an immediate interest of expression from Cleary that is rubber-stamped by the board.

Todd Payten, who coached many of the players in the Tigers' junior system, has the support of the playing group. However his departure from the club has left a sour taste in the mouth of those who matter, and given he was overlooked as Mick Potter's successor, he is unlikely to be thrown into the hot seat this time around. He is also managed by Moses.

The players don't want a say on who the club should appoint, but you can be guaranteed they want to know who it is before committing.

For established stars like Woods and Tedesco, time won't alter their value. But Brooks and Moses have raised some alarm bells at Tiger town with disappointing performances over the past fortnight.

The club still believe they are the right halves to lead the club into the future, but there are plenty of reservations over offloading big money to players who haven't found consistency at the top level.

However at Monday's press conference, chief executive Justin Pascoe and Marina Go announced their intention to move quickly on the retention of their high-profile players by highlighting their belief the players would sign before the announcement of the coach.

This goes against what their skipper said on NRL 360 the week before when he admitted he wanted to know who would be coaching the club before committing.

Woods was locked in a debate with the coach in the tunnel at GIO Stadium after the 40-point loss to the Raiders on Sunday, trying to work a way out of the hole the team had dug itself in.

He didn't call for the coach's head. The faces on the players after the shellacking at the hands of the Raiders did that. In fact, Woods publicly backed the coach and admitted it was time the club's young players began living up to the hype in an interview with Fairfax Media on the eve of Taylor's sacking.

"Everyone says we have really good young blokes, but we need to start living up to that hype mate," Woods said on Sunday night.

"It doesn't matter who our coach is. The boys love JT, so we have to go out there and play our footy. He's not the one going out there and playing. We deserve all the crap we've been getting because it's simply not good enough. We haven't been getting beat by two or four points, we're getting flogged by 30 or 40. It's not good enough.

"And we've scored one try in two weeks – that was from an intercept not a set play. We've lost our mojo in our attack because I think we're trying to score off every play. We need to play a bit more direct and straighter. Our halves have to learn how to control the game. It's not just our halves – it's the nine and the one too. We have to learn how to control a game and that's why we're a bit immature as a squad."

Those aren't the words of a man looking to leave. They are the words of a frustrated captain who has the Leichhardt postcode tattooed on his body. Tedesco, Moses and Brooks look up to their skipper. His movements are pivotal to their future. His movements are even more pivotal to the future of the Wests Tigers.

Latest posts