What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team of the half century

carcharias

Immortal
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cr...y/news-story/44f033f3f8a497dd42f2a5cf98a64d87

CRONULLA premiership-winner Paul Gallen has been afforded his highest honour, named the Sharks’ greatest captain in their 50-year history at a gala ball at Darling Harbour on Friday night.

In front of more than 650 members of past and present administration, current and ex-players, their wives and partners and also NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and ARL chairman John Grant, an emotional Gallen fought back tears after being selected in Cronulla’s Team of the Half Century, alongside six of his 2016 premiership teammates, including head coach Shane Flanagan.

The current Sharks selected alongside Gallen in the esteemed 17-man squad were five-eighth James Maloney, winger Valentine Holmes, tear-away forward Andrew Fifita and retired hooker Michael Ennis.

“I’m truly humbled by tonight,’’ Gallen, who guided the club to their first premiership last year, said.

“The incredible people and players who are standing up on this stage with me here, are the same people who inspired me to sign with this great club, 15 years ago.

94f24398945752c5333fb20c9f495e7d

Cronulla greats (l-r) Paul Gallen, Gavin Miller and Mat Rogers on Friday night.Source:News Corp Australia

“This is a special night, an unbelievable honour and a night which I’m sure all of the 17 players and Shane, can say is one we’ll never forget.’’

Voted on by fans and members before being whittled down by an independent selection panel of judges, the Team of the Half Century was flush with rugby league royalty, resilience and first-class service to the Sharks, dating back to their inception in 1967.

Club immortals Steve Rogers, Greg Pierce, Andrew Ettingshausen, Gavin Miller and Tommy Bishop were immediate and obvious selections in the 50-year team.

Ever-elusive fullback David Peachey was chosen in the No. 1 jersey, while the brilliant Mat Rogers also fought back his emotions after being named on the wing, but also in the same team as his legendary late father Steve.

Gallen was selected at lock in a star-studded back-row which included Pierce, the Sharks first player to captain Australia and who passed away last year, alongside Miller, a two-time Dally M medal winner.

Such was the influence and skill which Miller possessed when running the football, the late and great super coach Jack Gibson would often tell his players: “Wherever Gavin goes, you go.’’

0d538aa1de90faad5a543258e8495318

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen hoists the NRL Premiership trophy after the Sharks’ grand final win last season.Source:AAP

With a long-list of quality prop-forwards to have played with the Sutherland Shire club over the past 50 years, the undeniable impact of Great Britan’s Cliff Watson on the Sharks between 1971 and 1973 saw him chosen in the front-row alongside, one of the club’s hardest and most-committed club-men, 217-game Kiwi International, Dane Sorensen.

Fifita, the Sharks’ grand final try hero, sealed his status as a club great with selection on the interchange bench.

origin:video_integrator.dzMzI1YTE6CGKyrgMj0s-lo6eGemU79e

Influential halfback and former captain Brett Kimmorley was also a deserved selection, while one of the game’s most feared forwards during the late 1970s, Kangaroos froward Steve Kneen joined former NSW Origin and Test prop Jason Stevens, as must inclusions on the bench.

However, selecting the 17-best players over 50-years wasn’t without rich debate and controversy among the judging panel with a string of former stars narrowly missing out on selection.

Considered unlucky not to have been selected were Clive Churchill medallist Luke Lewis, long-serving former captain David Hatch, Kiwi international Kurt Sorensen, fearless forward Les Davidson, the clever and cunning former hooker Ron Turner, 1973 grand final five-eighth Chris Wellman and former Test centre Mark McGaw.

Named as the club’s best coach in 50 years, Flanagan’s delivery of a first premiership got him the honour ahead of much-respected candidates John Lang, Norm Provan and Bishop

CRONULLA’S TEAM OF THE HALF CENTURY

1. David Peachey

2. Mat Rogers

3. Andrew Ettingshausen

4. Steve Rogers

5. Valentine Holmes

6. James Maloney

7. Tommy Bishop

8. Cliff Watson

9. Michael Ennis

10. Dane Sorensen

11. Greg Pierce

12. Gavin Miller

13. Paul Gallen (c)

Interchange bench:

14. Andrew Fifita

15. Brett Kimmorley

16. Steve Kneen

17 Jason Stevens

Coach: Shane Flanagan

Sorry for this woeful cut and paste job
On a iPhone with a hangover

Card Shark

Immortal
I agree but I wish they didn't rule Barba ineligible because he was the single biggest influence on us finally winning a comp imo.

snout

First Grade
Noddy?...gawd - there was players I grew up loving to watch for the sharks. They had a certain something that made them a Shark.
I just never identified that in Kimmorley. He just always struck me as a Storm player or some blow in who I always longed to move on or retire. I see him on tv now and I cringe he wore the BWB.

Stevens?...meh.

Holmes?...hhmm.
Maloney gets the gig after one year over players who gave a lifetime because he was good enough to get us home for the big one and they weren't.
Same as Ennis - if these 2 don't play for us the cupboard's still bare.
Not so with Holmes. I believe he needed to produce more. At least another year at this level to jump Preston. Dally M winner.

snout

First Grade
...and gee Langy was unlucky.

But the first coach to deliver our maiden was always going to deserve this,

Card Shark

Immortal
Yeh, I wouldn't have had Stevens in there.

Surrey there was an old prop more worthy...perhaps Davidson or Lee?

snout

First Grade
Different positions but Jason stevens over Luke Lewis? ..over kurt sorenson?...David Hatch?

Gibbo wouldve picked the best 17. Sort out positions later.

snoozer

Bench
noddy - def not. could've had kurt or davo on the bench.
holmes - prob not. time will tell whether he deserves this accolade. i'd go for the cov!

Quigs

Immortal
It a bloody joke. Paris not even mentioned in dispatches and Young Humph getting the nod over the likes of Ray 'Stonewall' Corcoran.

Ray was perfecting the high dive into the corner before half these snotty nosed young flankers were even a hops in their old mans schooners.

yeah well
you have to just look at the voting, which was done online and will skew to younger and more recent players.
and then..Phil Rothfield was one of the judges etc.

For the record I voted

Peach
Rat
ET
Sludge
Covell
Healey
Bishop
Fifita
Ennis
Watson
Gallen
Pierce
Miller

as to the bench..maybe that was done on the most of the remaining votes?

myrrh ken

First Grade
That wing spot is a bit dodgy. Did sparkles ever play on the wing for us? Otherwise Barnett for me.

Who the f is paris?

Presto before Kimmorley. The Gnome never won a Dally M while he was with us.

shaggs

Coach
Paris is David Simmons

Preston had one great year.
For all his issues, noddy was consistently good though a period of awful teams.

McGraw wasn't a winger.

Quigs

Immortal
Who the farkkkk is Paris.

Ken give yourself an uppercut.

Paris was the spearhead of our attack, the backbone of our return carries for many a season. I for one can't understand how he hasn't had a stand named after him.

Got me buggered really.

YTSharks

Juniors
Who the farkkkk is Paris.

Ken give yourself an uppercut.

Paris was the spearhead of our attack, the backbone of our return carries for many a season. I for one can't understand how he hasn't had a stand named after him.

Got me buggered really.
Oath... I have such fond memories of the scrub dropping the ball over the line thrice in two weeks. Cost us both games from memory too

Picking this team is subjective to personal beliefs.
Me myself could not find a spot for Miller in the 13.
Reasons: The clubs first Captain of Australia (Pierce), the clubs first Captain of a premiership side (Gallen), and the clubs first Man of the Match in a Grand Final (Lewis)
Whilst Miler was a wonderful servant of the club, like many others were, he never reached these achievements, and I personally think these players are/were better.
I may be the only person who left him out of the starting side but I reckon he would've been even better coming off the bench for us in the modern day game.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Didn't know him as Paris. Short for parishioner? Uppercut given. Yeah he was great.

Sparkles played wing for Souffs and Aus, but not for us i don't think. But yeah not really a winger.

Latest posts