What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Knights

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Webster seems to really like players in the hardworking/punch above their weight but aren't really that good mould.

Funny thing is this was also a criticism of Cleary (alongside the related complaint of playing an overly conservative game plan). It seems to be a trait of ex-players who were themselves somewhat limited, and of course it also seems like this combination of factors tends to lead to coaching success. I'm the first to admit I always criticised Cleary when he was here and I've done the same to Webster, even though it's obvious that overall they are very successful.

I think this almost sums up the central "conflict" here, which is between those who want us to embrace the culture of hard work and overachievement that tends to breed success, and those who I'm sure equally crave success but think we might be kneecapping ourselves in certain areas in the pursuit of a particular philosophy. But I guess every coach has a certain philosophy, and every coach tends to have a bias towards certain "types" of player which might sometimes override the fact that said player is not as good as an available alternative. Even the very best do tend to have weaknesses and blind spots which we are entitled to comment on though, and some of the retorts along the lines of "Webster knows what he's doing and he is picking so and so because he knows he'll do a job" can be a bit reductive.

Reactions: Izz

JJ

Immortal
On another issue, what if RTS is the RTS of old at 1 this week, it’s unlikely but if he was he’s clearly the best 1 we have…

Meth

Staff member
Webster has said that he’ll definitely go back to centre when CNK is back

Leber

Bench
Pompey is a depth signing and thats why hes playing. Hes only playing because there are 2 other injuries. Otherwise the bloke wouldnt get a look in.

The more injuries you get, you have to deal with a bit of plod. In saying that, the fact that our 'plod' centre played well last year shows we have some depth there.

Jazz played well last week but since Walker is back and Walker > Jazz, its a no brainer to do the swap. Marata is better than Afoa/Ale so he gets one of their spots (Although Id have preferred Ale to stay in the team or maybe even give Marata a run in reserve)

Other thing Webby could have done was dropped Lussick for a bigger body on the bench and hope that Egan can play 80. But thats a risk.

All things considered its a logical team and with the knights losing Thompson, I reckon we could have a decent win.

Leber

Bench
I still think there might be a change or two tho because Ale, Jazz and CHT aren't named for the reserves.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Pompey is a depth signing and thats why hes playing. Hes only playing because there are 2 other injuries. Otherwise the bloke wouldnt get a look in.

The more injuries you get, you have to deal with a bit of plod. In saying that, the fact that our 'plod' centre played well last year shows we have some depth there.

I don’t think there’s much concern about Pompey (or other plodders) being a depth player. The issue is there’s a guy who’s supposed to be a gun who is apparently even lower on the depth chart and apparently even ranks below the plodders.

Leber

Bench
I don’t think there’s much concern about Pompey (or other plodders) being a depth player. The issue is there’s a guy who’s supposed to be a gun who is apparently even lower on the depth chart and apparently even ranks below the plodders.
Is it about the side he plays in? Pompey Is predominantly left centre and leitaua is right centre.

maybe if berry ever gets hurt, that’s leitauas window.

Look, Pompey isn't really something I'm worked up about. I'm not really excited about him though.

I think, from memory, he contained Gagai pretty well in the finals last year.

He's meh

At his best, he's serviceable. At his worst, he's sub-par. He's a depth signing.

That's unfortunate. I hope Pompey has a good game and does well. It's good when these so called plodders exceed expectations of couch coaches.

ozenzud

Juniors
I still think there might be a change or two tho because Ale, Jazz and CHT aren't named for the reserves.
I did notice that they only named 16 at the time I looked. Do they have to name players on reserves list for 1st grade in the NSW cup?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't think we should ever have an issue with people having opinions and seeing things a certain way on here. I don't think that's ever a need to attack people over, although I've felt it before. Geez, if we felt the same way about our 17, I'd have to find something else to do with my time. Probably a good thing, mind.

The way I see it on Pompey, Webster wants him to do a job on Gagai and that's all he wants. I'm sure he rates Leiataua but obviously doesn't see this as the time to inject him. If it was the Titans or Tigers etc, maybe it would be - I don't know, no one has asked Webster.

As for Ford, I feel similar to some - I rate his effort, I think he is a decent hole runner at times, defends well most of the time, but has an annoying amount of errors in his game. Potentially if we loaded up our propping stocks and the likes of Niukore, Barnett etc went back into the back row, he would be a bench player or in NSW Cup. But our propping stocks are short. So it's a necessity.

And Lussick is absolutely required on the bench because Egan is too injury-prone.

Meth

Staff member
And Lussick is absolutely required on the bench because Egan is too injury-prone.

Is there an argument for CHT? Like, Lussick makes sense with Egan less likely to play bigger minutes first week back in, but if we're really only looking for a short stint at hooker with the potential to offer a bit more utility and impact, is CHT a better option?

Rich102

Staff member
I don't think it is any coincidence that our attack is less effective when Egan is out of the team. So much of our attack centers on him. I think Lussick does a good job as a fill-in, but as the actress said "there is no substitute for the real thing."
I think CHT would do an adequate job there but no better than Lussick.
I think Webster has a plan, but it is being hampered by injuries. And we haven't seen yet where CHT fits in.
Last week was the first time more than one reserve got extended minutes.
Plus the Taupiki HIA was a stitch up.

Meth

Staff member
I think Lussick is the best fill in if Egan is absent.

If Egan is present and fit, that's where CHT is arguably a better selection on the bench

Meth

Staff member
Both players should of been given the same treatment. Why only Tuaupiki if two peoples heads clashed? Makes no sense.

Sure, I agree with that

But in terms of Tuaupiki, he failed the test, so him coming off was the right call at least

Rich102

Staff member
If that is the case you are correct. I heard that it was marginal and he was happy to play on. Guess that is why it isn't left up to the player.

Leber

Bench
No gagai either.
This should be a comfortable win to us.

‘should be’…

As much as Twitter isn't a reliable source, this'll do for now.

Last edited by a moderator: