What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Raiders

Meth

Staff member
Massive game, right?

Raiders are coming off a bye and tend to be a lot better at home, than away. Have beat the Titans, Knights and (most impressively) the Cowboys in their last 3 games. I think Ayshford is going to be crucial.

For me;

1- Fusitua
2- Lolohea
3- Ayshford
4- Kata
5- Vatuvei
6- Leuluai
7- Johnson
8- Matulino
9- Luke
10- Vete
11- Afoa
12- Hoffman (c)
13- Mannering

Res- Lisone, Lillyman, Thompson, Maumalo

Leber

Bench
Absolute must win. On paper, we should have won that manly game and should lose the raiders game, so we now need to get one back

1 Lolohea
2 Fusitua
3 Ayshford
4 Kata
5 Vatuvei
6 Leuluai
7 Johnson
8 Lisone
9 Luke
10 Matulino
11 Thompson
12 Hoffman
13 Mannering

14 Maumalo
15 Afoa
16 Lillyman
17 Vete

That was a really easy team to pick. Hopefully cappy doesnt do anything stupid.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Why would you pick Maumalo on the bench either? He only plays one position. He can't be expected to play minutes in the back row as firstly, he doesn't defend that well and secondly, we've got much better 2nd rowers going round as it is.

1. Lolohea
2. Fusitua - scores the tries no other Warriors do
3. Ayshford
4. Kata
5. Manu
6. Tommy
7. Johnson
8. Liliman
9. Luke
10. Matulino - but we know coach gonna start him off the bench
11. Thompson
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering

14. Tevaga - provides that bench impact
15. Vete - prop rotation
16. Afoa - prop/ back row rotation
17. Sipley - but coach likely to pick Gavet or Lisone

* Thank f**k Gubb not up for selection.
* Lolohea either starts or doesn't make the 17
* If we start with Liliman and Matulino they can play long minutes and bench props can give them a rest as they need it
* Tevaga covers both lock and hooker
* Mannering covers at centre if we get outside back injury

Meth

Staff member
re Maumalo, he's not a winger. Effectively, he could provide cover for the whole backline (in that Lolohea could move from the wing to anywhere) and surely 20-30 minutes of Maumalo is enough in an impact type role. Mind you, we tried that with Hurrell.

Mighty Ape Man

Juniors
1. Lolohea
2. Fusitua
3. Ayshford
4. Kata
5. Maumalo
6. Leuluai
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. Luke
10. Vete
11. Thompson
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering

Bench: Matulino, Afoa, Sipley and either Lisone or Lane

JJ

Immortal
Who knows what he'll do, but I'd want Lolohea and Fusitua in the team, agree Fus is the better fullback, but they can chop and change, surely?

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Why would you pick Maumalo on the bench either? He only plays one position. He can't be expected to play minutes in the back row as firstly, he doesn't defend that well and secondly, we've got much better 2nd rowers going round as it is.

1. Lolohea
2. Fusitua - scores the tries no other Warriors do
3. Ayshford
4. Kata
5. Manu
6. Tommy
7. Johnson
8. Liliman
9. Luke
10. Matulino - but we know coach gonna start him off the bench
11. Thompson
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering

14. Tevaga - provides that bench impact
15. Vete - prop rotation
16. Afoa - prop/ back row rotation
17. Sipley - but coach likely to pick Gavet or Lisone

* Thank f**k Gubb not up for selection.
* Lolohea either starts or doesn't make the 17
* If we start with Liliman and Matulino they can play long minutes and bench props can give them a rest as they need it
* Tevaga covers both lock and hooker
* Mannering covers at centre if we get outside back injury

Maumalo is 110kg + there is absolutely zero reason why he can't defend in the middle. And if he can't well then it might be time to say goodbye until he learns it because he doesn't/can't really defend on the wing either.

All he has shown in grade so far is running ability in the middle, can't remember a single run down the wing yet. Couldn't be any worse than hurrell was in that position

jaseg

Juniors

Which position is that? Because it sure as s*** ain't winger. He's a forward sitting on the wing, taking 17 or 18 hitups a game.

Leber

Bench
Why would you pick Maumalo on the bench either? He only plays one position.

No he doesn't. He's a second rower. Most of his under 20s games were there. he's a second rower first, winger second.

We can use ken in two way....

-if anyone 1-7 gets injured, he can come on at right wing and tui can move to accomodate the injured player

Or,

-He just comes on as an impact second rower/battering ram.

Leber

Bench
Also, wouldn't be adversed to many having the same role at this stage in his career.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Which position is that? Because it sure as s*** ain't winger. He's a forward sitting on the wing, taking 17 or 18 hitups a game.
F**k off!! Sorry but not trying to sling s**t at you J, but really I'm aiming at everyone in general who says Maumalo can cut it in the 2nd row. He's pretty much a poor mans winger as it is. His go to is when we need a hit up from our own 20. He doesn't get on the outside of anyone and make a run. That's not the modern day winger. To be any good, Maumalo needs to develop as more than just a battering ram.

jaseg

Juniors
F**k off!! Sorry but not trying to sling s**t at you J, but really I'm aiming at everyone in general who says Maumalo can cut it in the 2nd row. He's pretty much a poor mans winger as it is. His go to is when we need a hit up from our own 20. He doesn't get on the outside of anyone and make a run. That's not the modern day winger. To be any good, Maumalo needs to develop as more than just a battering ram.

Heheh.. I never said 2nd row :p

Eh, I think he might actually be better suited to the middle rather than edge forward (which can be a defensively demanding role) - depending on how his front-on defense is (it might actually be ok - it is the easiest part of the defensive game, after all). Or maybe he's just one of these guys who is a good athlete but doesn't have enough to cut it at NRL level.

He's done nothing good but take runs. Manu brings that specific thing too, but unlike Manu, Maumalo plays nothing like a winger, often out of position on both attack (this cost us a potential try in the second half, and is the second potential try it has cost us in the last 2-3 games) and defense and not quite fast enough - and absolutely no try scoring threat about him. He only scores at anything resembling a decent rate (currently 0.086 tries per 80 minutes in the NRL) when he's in reserve grade getting an acre of space. He's not our biggest problem right now, but he's just one of many..

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
why maumalo on the bench guys
hes a must

Dunno, maybe because our silly coach insists on a back on the bench when no one else does? And because Maumalo is not an NRL wing?

When Manu was out, I could understand why Maumalo was a requirement of sorts with his set starting ability. But honestly, that's all he has. He hasn't been exposed fully yet but lots of us think it's coming, and coming soon. Unfortunately we probably have to wait for that day to get someone else - Tui most likely - to take his spot (barring injury).

If we want metre eaters, stop picking f**king Gubb and his 31m plod per game, and get Sipley up to NRL standard by actually putting game time into him. We don't need two forward-type running wingers who have too many issues elsewhere in their game.

To that order, thank god that Gubb is probably going to be suspended and it forces McFailden to pick someone else. Coz as sure as my starfish is brown, Gubb was going to be on the team sheet again.

vvvrulz

Coach
From that interview regarding the Lolohea drop, I'm pretty certain Maumalo will never be moved from wing either. Sort of like how TL and Gubb are immune, Charlie will be back as soon as he's done his time out

Meth

Staff member
To be honest, I went searching for an option. Considered Sipley and Lane. I am curious to see what Maumalo in an impact role would be like, but doubtful that it would happen- especially after Hurrell was a failure (another experiment that I was generally supportive of)

Penrose_11

Juniors
I'm trying to fit Tui into the 13, so this is a little outside the square.

1. Fus
2. Manu
3. Ayshford
4. Kata (I really think this should be Tui)
5. Maumalo (should be Kata)
6. Tui
7. Johnson
8. Liliman
9. Tommy
10. Matulino
11. Hoff
12. Mannering
13. Luke

Thompson, Afoa, Vete, Lisone/ Sipley

Tommy gets to stay on the field and help with controlling the play. He's lost all sped to be a dominant 6. This way Tui gets his hands on the ball when we need something different compared to what Tommy offers in our current setup.