What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"That's not a forward pass you clown!"

nick87

Coach
Can the video ref make a call on the PTB? Seemed strange that they didnt look at it in that instance

LESStar58

Referee
Can the video ref make a call on the PTB? Seemed strange that they didnt look at it in that instance

No.

Think back to the Roberts kick leading up to the try in week 1. They couldn't go back to the previous play the ball. Sinilar thing here really.

Jordan VERY VERY lucky to not get pinned for that play the ball. Absolutely dog shit attempt.

thorson1987

Coach
No.

Think back to the Roberts kick leading up to the try in week 1. They couldn't go back to the previous play the ball. Sinilar thing here really.

Jordan VERY VERY lucky to not get pinned for that play the ball. Absolutely dog shit attempt.

I think the fact he missed the ball completely is why it wasn't called.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The ptb has been in general awful this finals series. I kind of obsess over it like a weirdo and i reckon 1 in 6 is legal.

rupertpupkin

Juniors
I'll have to have another look at the pass. Am happy to stand corrected. But, it looked like it was caught quite a way in front of where the ball was released. Forward is forward. It seems a major factor in the proliferation of forward passes being let go in recent times is due to a lot of excuse making about hands and floating and whatnot. It's a fast game. Back in the day, we were coached to pass it back. We could get cute with flat passes if we wanted to, but you'd have to expect to get pinged for a forward as often as not. "If it looks forward from where the ref is, you'll probably get pinged." Don't get cute and you won't get shafted.

But, again... happy to change my mind with another look.I wish the Tigers still had Austin.

Spade

Juniors
I think it was forward but besides that Lee fluffed the play anyhow just after he caught it.

Spade

Juniors
I think the call that killed Canberra was when a Melbourne player stuffed the play the ball (called & a scrum packed every other day in the NRL), then Melbourne score that tackle. It was another shocking display by the referees.

That and Weighton getting sin binned, dumb play by Weighton.

thorson1987

Coach
I'll have to have another look at the pass. Am happy to stand corrected. But, it looked like it was caught quite a way in front of where the ball was released. Forward is forward. It seems a major factor in the proliferation of forward passes being let go in recent times is due to a lot of excuse making about hands and floating and whatnot. It's a fast game. Back in the day, we were coached to pass it back. We could get cute with flat passes if we wanted to, but you'd have to expect to get pinged for a forward as often as not. "If it looks forward from where the ref is, you'll probably get pinged." Don't get cute and you won't get shafted.

But, again... happy to change my mind with another look.I wish the Tigers still had Austin.

It was caught in front of where it was thrown. Physics does that.

As long as it is passed backwards out of the hands it's ok.

Apey

Staff member
I'll have to have another look at the pass. Am happy to stand corrected. But, it looked like it was caught quite a way in front of where the ball was released. Forward is forward. It seems a major factor in the proliferation of forward passes being let go in recent times is due to a lot of excuse making about hands and floating and whatnot. It's a fast game. Back in the day, we were coached to pass it back.

Back in the day, physics was still a thing.

Card Shark

Immortal

:see_no_evil:

Card Shark

Immortal
It's inconsequential in this case as Croker knocked it on almost immediately it was called.

What is disturbing is a touchie could get it so wrong.

The ball was in the air for over a second, so conservatively if he was running at 3m/s, it will have floated at least 3 metres forward, not to mention the wind gust that curled it like a banana.

rupertpupkin

Juniors
Back in the day, physics was still a thing.

Agreed. My point was that it's a question of perception. It's expecting too much of referees to be in a position to catch all this stuff, process it and make a call quickly. By getting too technical about this stuff may be why forwards are being let go so often. Let them call it forward if it looks forward, right or wrong. It may be too much to expect even with 2 touchies and 2 refs.

Dav0c

Juniors
Agreed. My point was that it's a question of perception. It's expecting too much of referees to be in a position to catch all this stuff, process it and make a call quickly. By getting too technical about this stuff may be why forwards are being let go so often. Let them call it forward if it looks forward, right or wrong. It may be too much to expect even with 2 touchies and 2 refs.

Why? There's f**king heaps of them and that's their job.

retch

Juniors
2djc45.jpg

T-Boon

Coach
Has anyone commented on Cameron Smiths forward passes from dumb half?
I stopped counting them when I realised it was around about one per set.

Grapple

Bench
2djc45.jpg

I suspect the absence of Vunivalu in this shot was due to him being back to guard the 40/20? Otherwise he's wayyyyy out of position. Something Cronulla could expose, especially with Barba.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
2djc45.jpg

I suspect the absence of Vunivalu in this shot was due to him being back to guard the 40/20? Otherwise he's wayyyyy out of position. Something Cronulla could expose, especially with Barba.
Nah. I think vunivalu was waiting for the scrum to form because everyone at the ground expected steady eddy to drop it.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Anyone arguing it is backward please get eyes checked. As johns said, terrible technique by Austin. need to torpedo those ones. No problems with the call. You can't rely on the ref watching your hands for those

Raiderdave

First Grade

Hence ...
The TJ needing to watch the hands first to make an initial judgement as I indicated

These guys are well paid part time professionals
They need to do better.

Disclaimer #
The call was irrelevant
But indicative of poor officiating on the night that the Raiders copped most of.