What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 1999-2007 Recruiting Hall of Fame

Chachi

Bench
Here's some happy reading.

From what I can gather, these are our First Grade recruitment lists since 1999. 12 out of the 52 names over the last 9 years are still with us (including David Howell). These are noted with an asterisk. While there have been a few decent successes along the line it is fair to say there have also been a fair few clangers over the years. There is no doubt our strength has been junior recruitment and I have not included our losses each year because that's a whole other story.

2000, 2002 and 2004 were outstanding vintages - although I must say Anthony Colella was a bit of a fave of mine when he was fit. Pity he turned gay and started a pop singing career shortly afterward. :sarcasm:

If I've missed any please let me know.

Mark Bryant (Cootamundra)
Mark Corvo (Adelaide)
Lee Hookey (Souths)
Rod Jenson (Adelaide)
Damian Kennedy (Adelaide)
Rod Maybon (Adeliade)
*Alan Tongue (Aust School Boys)
Luke Williamson (Adelaide)

Nathan Barnes (Parramatta)
Anthony Colella (Manly)
Anthony Swann (Norths)
Sean Rutgerson (Norths)
Adam Peters (Manly)
Justin Morgan (Parramatta)

Jace Van Dijk (Broncos)
Odell Manuel (Warriors)
Craig Simon (Hull FC)
Ryan O'Hara (Bulldogs)
Clinton Schifcofske (Parramatta)
Darren Mapp (Broncos)
Michael Hodgson (Parramatta)

Tyran Smith (Tigers)

Matt Rua (Storm)
Ian Hindmarsh (Eels)
Brad Drew (Eels)
Adam Mogg (Eels)

Steve Franciscus (Panthers)

*Lincoln Withers (Dragons)
*Ryan Hinchcliffe (Eels)
Damon Alley-Tovio (Souths)
Matt Adamson (Leeds)
*Ben Jones (Redcliffe)
Craig Frawley (Broncos)
*David Howell (Dragons)
Michael Howell (Dragons)
*Bronx Goodwin (Sharks)
Jermaine Ale (Roosters)
Ken Nagas (Retirement)
Jason Smith (Hull)
Jamie Russo (Souths)

*Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (Broncos)
*Dane Tilse (Knights)
Andrew Lomu (Sharks)
Jason Williams (Prison)
*Trevor Thurling (Bulldogs)

*Scott Logan (Wigan)
*Neville Costigan (Broncos)
Matt Bickerstaff (Dragons)
Andrew Dunemann (Salford)
Tony Pamatangi (Parramatta)
Steve Irwin (QLD Cup)
*Nigel Plum (Roosters)

julian87

Juniors
I never knew we had Lee Hookey on or books.

So many little name signings in there. I remember everyone excited over manuell until we realised he couldn't catch.

There are also one player in there that we really wasted IMO. I still think Rod Jensen was a very good winger and I can't believe he didn't play more first grade for us. I rated Anthony Swann, but f**k knows what happened to him. I thought Rutgerson and Morgan did a good job for us.

I think a few fans would be very disappointed to see that list compared to a departed list which would include some players like:
McLinden, Finch, Monaghan, Monaghan, Priddis?, Woolford, Lolesi, Davico, Jensen, O Hara, Mogg, Schifcofske, Cross, Bryant, Robertson and Williamson.

Chachi

Bench
julian87 said:
I never knew we had Lee Hookey on or books.

So many little name signings in there. I remember everyone excited over manuell until we realised he couldn't catch.

There are also one player in there that we really wasted IMO. I still think Rod Jensen was a very good winger and I can't believe he didn't play more first grade for us. I rated Anthony Swann, but f**k knows what happened to him. I thought Rutgerson and Morgan did a good job for us.

I think a few fans would be very disappointed to see that list compared to a departed list which would include some players like:
McLinden, Finch, Monaghan, Monaghan, Priddis?, Woolford, Lolesi, Davico, Jensen, O Hara, Mogg, Schifcofske, Cross, Bryant, Robertson and Williamson.
The worst thing about that departed list is it's full of Raiders juniors and guys that made their NRL debut with us.

Mal's Milk

Juniors
And at least two players on that list, Adam Peters and Lincoln Withers, were local juniors to begin with anyway. If only Monaghan was just one of many prodical sons returning home next year.....

Mal's Milk

Juniors
Sorry Chachi, didn't see your latest post, my page refreshed when I posted. D'oh! Anyhoo, great minds think alike...

legend

Coach
Throw in Wiki, Kennedy, Soward and Kite and the list becomes even more depressing.

dubby

Bench
Chachi, you have too much time on your hands mate, but I love your work! I've rang RLW, and you have an interview next week. Or did he say "dont ring again"? :sarcasm:

It seems that we out of every season, about 1 or 2 turn out ok. The rest are sad...

Chachi

Bench
dubby said:
Chachi, you have too much time on your hands mate, but I love your work! I've rang RLW, and you have an interview next week. Or did he say "dont ring again"? :sarcasm:

It seems that we out of every season, about 1 or 2 turn out ok. The rest are sad...
Yeah, I'm getting back to part-time uni next year with work so I'm getting in while I have a bit of time! Anyway, it's something a bit different to think about rather than picking teams for 2008 etc.

ever get the feeling it'll be a loooong offseason?

Timbo

Staff member
One player who I'm always baffeled by the fact that he never played first grade was Jace Van Dijk.

At a time when we had Croker playing 5/8th we had a genuine playmaker in reserves carving it up. Still can't believed he never got a run.

Chachi

Bench
Timbo said:
One player who I'm always baffeled by the fact that he never played first grade was Jace Van Dijk.

At a time when we had Croker playing 5/8th we had a genuine playmaker in reserves carving it up. Still can't believed he never got a run.
Yep, Van Dijk was an interesting one. Regularly dominated reserve grade and, like you say, must have been a far better option than Croker or Martin at 5/8. Probably wasn't ever going to be a regular first grader but was certainly better than some of the options we were dished up in that period.

I think Rua and Ale were the biggest disappointments in so far as talent we never really got to see.

dubby

Bench
Timbo said:

Think that had something to do with the coach?

thickos

First Grade
You would have thought Van Dijk would have cracked it for at least one FG appearance. Another person Elliott didn't rate.

Geez we have signed some hacks havent' we. Bloody hell. The departure list is appalling too, you can make a ripper FG team out of the players who left under Elliott - off the top of my head I can rattle off:

1 - Schif
2 - Jensen
3 - J. Monas (coming back though)
4 - Lolesi
5 - Robertson
6 - McLinden
7 - M. Monas (or Finch)
8- O'Hara
9 - Woolford
10 - Davico
11 - Wiki
12 - Hindmarsh
13 - Croker

and there is a hell of a lot more. Drew, Hodgson etc. So much experience has walked out the door and we still apparently struggle with the cap. WTF.

Chachi

Bench
To be fair, Schif only left because Elliott departed and Woolford, Croker, Hindmarsh and Davico were probably past their used by date anyway (IMO). But yes, there's a few names on that list which would be more than handy right now...Monaghan, Jensen and McLinden top that list for me.

It's interesting that O'Hara still doesn't appear to have a club. Certainly a big fall from grace for a one time Origin rep. Goes to show you what can happen to a good player with the wrong attitude (from all accounts).

I'm also mystified as to how we manage to break the cap on a regular basis.

dubby

Bench
thickos said:
You would have thought Van Dijk would have cracked it for at least one FG appearance. Another person Elliott didn't rate.

Geez we have signed some hacks havent' we. Bloody hell. The departure list is appalling too, you can make a ripper FG team out of the players who left under Elliott - off the top of my head I can rattle off:

1 - Schif
2 - Jensen
3 - J. Monas (coming back though)
4 - Lolesi
5 - Robertson
6 - McLinden
7 - M. Monas (or Finch)
8- O'Hara
9 - Woolford
10 - Davico
11 - Wiki
12 - Hindmarsh
13 - Croker

and there is a hell of a lot more. Drew, Hodgson etc. So much experience has walked out the door and we still apparently struggle with the cap. WTF.

Thickos,

All of those guys bar 3 or 4 are over 30 and well past their best. Only the Monas boys (whom should never have left) and maybe marty would be of interest to me right now.

dubby

Bench
I think that 2003 was probably our best year for signings. At the time I was so excited about Rua and Drew.

As it turned out Elliot tried to make Drew a 7 and Rua went AWOL. Mogg took a few years to blossom but Hindy was solid.

What makes me laugh is how we picked up half of Adelaides dregs in 1999...

Every year I see a particular signing and get pretty excited about that player, yet I always seem to get let down.

Here we go: 1999 well maybe the exceptoin, but I am a Leeton boy and Rod Maybon was from Leeton so I was happy about that. He never really captured is Bunnies form but he went to Parra from us and carved up.

2000: Colella. He didnt disappoint either. A good signing. I expected Nathan Barnes to deliver but he was awful.

2001: A good year for us, I hoped Manuell would be the new Volcano (dud!) and I had big wraps on Darren Mapp who never lived up to his potential for us or Brisbane or Sharks.

2002: Tyran. Wasnt that excited.

2003: See above

2004: Steve who??

2005: Was stoked about Frawley :)( ) and Adamson and Smith. Wasnt convinced about Withers.

2006: I was a little disappointed but had hoped TLL would come good. Still waiting.

Chachi

Bench
What gets me is that of 52 "major" signings since '99 only Tongue, Withers, TLL, Tilse, Logan and Costigan would be considered walk ups to first grade right now. That's a hell of a lot of dud and short-term recruiting.

It's also interesting to note that very few of those players who have since departed went on to succeed with another NRL side after they left us - although quite a few went on to play in the ESL. I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

Far too many of our recent signings have been players at the arse end of their careers. Releasing/losing numerous local juniors in the process has exacerbated this issue.

Having said that, I think we're getting pretty close to being where we need to be. After retaining our key players we really need to look at signing another quality three-quarter, halfback (pending dobbo's form), hooker (pending wither's form) and prop to replace Logan.

dubby

Bench
I think Chachi that it comes down to a very small pool of quality players to choose from.

We all know its hard for us to sign Sydney based players, and the rise of NQ and the TITans has made QLD recruitment harder, so I guess recruitment is harder than we realise.

I know we have made efforts in the past to get "name" players, but we all know how that ended.

*cues bays arrival*

Chachi

Bench
This is very true. The big cash available in the ESL also seems to be a factor.

2008 is shaping to be a crucial year for the future of this club with over 20 players off contract. There are certainly a number which need to be retained and then you have the next tier of players that need to prove themselves.

It appears we'll also be paying contracts for Rothery, Bickerstaff, Howell and Raston who have either been released or are on their way out. In any case they'll be off the books next year. There's also a bunch of others who must be unlikely to stay on given the dumping of PL. When these are all taken into account we should have a reasonable chunk of cash to play with.

I have no idea who will be on the market but it's going to be interesting.

Mal Meninga

Bench
56 should be all over this one.

I didn't need that list to tell me management were running the club into the ground but there you go.

parra_jesus

Juniors
the depature list has a lot to do with the salary cap and not just matty elliot (although im not defending elliot at all)

Latest posts