What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dragons Fan - Get it off your chest..

"I'm a Dragons Fans. I've been a Dragons fan for 33 years. I have a problem....."

Sounds a bit like a drunk who's just joined AA.

Indeed the Dragons are an addiction. But in no way its an addiction that I want to give up. But like an AA meeting, the rollercoaster ride that is our lives for each footy season can be made that little less sickening if you can get it off your chest. Don't bottle it up inside. Let us know how you feel, what you've done to release your anger. On the flipside it can be one helluva ride, let us know what you've done to release your elation.

Biggest thing I've done to release my anger was to kick my TV off its stand, proceed to roll it out to the backyard where I threw a potplant at it then smashed it with a matic. This was after our dramatic loss to Newcastle (in 99 at the SFS) in the dying seconds when we'd regained the lead with only 90 seconds to go - remember Mary McGregors's "knock-on" from the restart?? Bollocks it was!!!!!! I actually felt better afterwards, my TV not so.

With our 07 season just about to begin, I'm sure there will be many times of frustration & joy. The Big Red & White Rollercoaster is about to take off. Feel free to share your stories of pain & joy. If nothing else, it will at least amuse us all.

gregstar

Referee
LOL!

remember that game in '99 like it was yesterday! - what a classic!!!!

like you i went from despair to joy when brown scored to seemingly win the game.

then as you said the mary knock-on (crap - it was off his head) resulted in alberts fulltime try from the scrum.

i ran outside hurling abuse at random objects as they presented themselves. i've never seen pot plants so intimidated! LOL!

_Johnsy

Referee
Fifita

I have been a dragon for 31 years now. i dont know if I could ever stop being a dragon. i hate them, but in the same breathe thats why i lov'em.

Ahhhhhh the red and whites, like no other.

Red'n'White

Juniors
The Dragons are an addiction to me as well. I'm hooked. The give me such a high when they win, that my missus gets extra helpings of the love machine. i.e: ME. lol.

But when they lose, she lucky to even get a look at it. Fellin depressed and not gettin into it, zoning right out of it. It sometimes hurts.

Being a Dragons fan is like sticking you finger in the fan, it only hurts till you get use to it.

I think 2007 is a rebuilding year for the Mighty Saints. Tonnes of young beef to blood on debut. Living without Gaz. New fast and exciting backs and an old hard head to bring stability. A new attitude for a new era.

Our year will come 2008 granfinal win vs South Sydney Rabbits, Dragons 18 - Rabbits 16. A Matt Cooper try after a Jason Ryles kick (the crowd stand up and looked away saying NOOOOOO!!! WHY????? JASON!!!!!), Cooper swoops on the ball after out sprinting Nathan Merritt and touches down in the corner 45 seconds from full-time to level the scores. The conversion by Head swings around swings around swings around hits the left upright bounces on the cross bar and goes over. The echoing voice of Rabs Warren, its long enough, its swinging swinging swinging. OOOHHH hits the upright and over. Did you see that boys? Dragons 18 - Rabbits 16 on the bell".

We can all dream!!! Its part of being a Dragons fan.

NO. Better still, its about being a Rugby League fan!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I re-broke my big toe in 1999. Hell broke loose but the furniture won. The neighbours just didn't understand.

I've since maintained a philosophy which reaffirms my view that referees are there to be influenced by the big screen.

I laugh at any Melba supporter who claims they were robbed in the 2006 GF. Funny buggers. Just kids tooling with their extremities.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Willow said:
I re-broke my big toe in 1999. Hell broke loose but the furniture won. The neighbours just didn't understand.

I laugh at any Melba supporter who claims they were robbed in the 2006 GF. Funny buggers. Just kids tooling with their extremities.

Reminds me of my Dad (Parra fan) when Parra were in the Grand Final. Jumped up when Eels went in, & smacked his head on the lamp shade hanging from the roof :lol: Think he had to get stitches.

Heh, yeah, f*ck Melbourne. Still... the pain from that game will never be gone til we win a premiership :(

petetheileet

First Grade
been a fan since the day i was born...in the 70 - 10 loss i threw my tv remote through our lounge room window

when try came up on the big screen in the 99 GF i yelled F*CK!!!! so loud browny cudda heard me from the playing arena...and let me tell u i was way up in the nose bleeds!

And finally at the prelim final last year i went to the toilet with 3mins to go, i punched a cubicle door soo hard my pinkie is still bent, i never got it checked out.

i live and breath the saints and my life will never be complete until the day i see them win the premiership, when it does happen i will be there and it will b one of the most joyous and relieving moments of my life, i just wonder how many more times my heart will b broken before i see it happen

phonetic

Juniors
This is a good thread. It's interesting to read stories of anguish similar to my own.

That game in 99 vs Newcastle. Wow. From ecstacy to devastation in the space of a minute or two. I remember Browny running under the posts triumphantly to claim what surely was the match winner. Not to be.

I've never gone as far as destroying the television, but I certainly relate to such feelings that could possibly lead a fellow St George enthusiast to do so. I guess everyone takes disappointments differently, and haven't there been plenty!?

One loss that really fired me up was against Newcastle in 2003. I didn't make the trip up so I was watching on tv. Brett Firman absolutely carved them up in the first half and then went off injured I think. It all ended with Andrew Johns kicking a winning goal from the sideline which set off a channel 9 commentary team Joey lovefest of a magnitude I have rarely experienced.

My long suffering Dad who I think has been largely numbed by this club, and as a result takes losses much more gracefully, gave me the usual 'aahh they're a team of heartbreakers' spiel. This set me off into a classic hissie fit which I signed off on with a deafening slam of the bedroom door. No damage done really, and it felt mighty good.

I don't remember what I did after the 99 grand final. I just remember leaving homebush a very unhappy chappy. I think I'm over that loss until I see footage, or someone brings it up. The scars are still there.

But then there's the positives. Brilliant games that remind you that it is all worthwhile. I still watch the replay of Anzac Day 05. That will be played on Sunday morning before the lads come around for a season opening BBQ. It just gets me so pumped. What about Saints vs Manly at Kogarah, the comeback. The Brisbane semi at Suncorp last year, what a night. The second string Dragons side beating Brisbane on the bell in round 26, 2003. The 1996 finals series. The 99 series... when Browny ran into score the match winner vs the Roosters, there was no other place I'd rather have been than bay 26.

Ah. Yep. Time to find out what 2007 holds!

Steel Dragon

Bench
Steelers are my heroin - Dragons are my methadone.

In my earlier years the '92 finals series where St George knocked out Illawarra to meet Brisbane in the grand final - i went outside and smashed sticks and stuff against a big tree out the back yard while i screamed my lungs out.

phonetic

Juniors
Steel Dragon said:

In my earlier years the '92 finals series where St George knocked out Illawarra to meet Brisbane in the grand final - i went outside and smashed sticks and stuff against a big tree out the back yard while i screamed my lungs out.

I was at that game!

phonetic said:
But then there's the positives. Brilliant games that remind you that it is all worthwhile. I still watch the replay of Anzac Day 05. That will be played on Sunday morning before the lads come around for a season opening BBQ. It just gets me so pumped. What about Saints vs Manly at Kogarah, the comeback. The Brisbane semi at Suncorp last year, what a night. The second string Dragons side beating Brisbane on the bell in round 26, 2003. The 1996 finals series. The 99 series... when Browny ran into score the match winner vs the Roosters, there was no other place I'd rather have been than bay 26.

Ah. Yep. Time to find out what 2007 holds!

And that why I love em too - all great memories of mine quoted above here.

When Piggy kicked the winning goal from 42 out, 10m in from touch vs the broncs, I was jumping around the loungeroom like an epileptic pogo stick. Straight down the pub, shouted a round of shots for the boys, and another, and atnother, annd...aaaaneotheeeeaar, aaaannd......

phonetic

Juniors
Haha.. I was at the Ritz in Hurstville with a fella by the name of Brendothejet and a few others. Even though there was nothing really riding on the result (not for us anyway, I remember it gave Parramatta some kind of chance to make the semi's or something like that), everyone was so jubilant. It was a great way to end a disappointing season, and a game I won't ever forget.

phonetic

Juniors
Yes indeed I was, at the tender age of 9. I was sitting in the grand stand on eastern side with my Dad. Only time I've ever been on the upper level at the SFS.

Aaaaaah I'm so pumped for Sunday.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
The Tingha chip over the top in the dying seconds to win the game against Wests Tigers was the defining moment of why I'm a Saints fan.

I remember listening to it on radio as I didn't have FOX, and my dad, a long time fan who's also numbed by previous losses, told me 'It's over, we can't win.'

I said 'Have faith!', and the scoring machine himself delivered - All off his own bat, all on his own.

That's why I love Saints, and although we stumble when we shouldn't I know that they're the only team that delivers a win with the emotional calibre experienced on that day.

Steel Dragon

Bench
My favourite Dragons moment thus far - was that Sunday arvo game against Manly (god i hate manly) a year or two back, when we were behind considerably - then tore the Eagles a new one as we scored a bagfull of tries to end up scraping home!

Suck Sh!t Manly!!! Best win ever!

gregstar

Referee
LOL!

unfortunately, that win masked problems going into the finals in '04.

we were on the back of a mini winning streak. we were not playing overly great footy & this was masking problems. subsequently when the wake-up call arrived, it was too late.

of the seasons '04, '05 & '06 - the '04 side imo was the most talented.

Dave Q

Coach
Steel Dragon said:

I was there too.

The steelers won that game fair and square and were definately robbed.

At the time they were one of the few clubs who could beat Brisbane, which Saints eventually lost to.

It was bad period in the game.

Collateral

Coach
petetheileet said:
when try came up on the big screen in the 99 GF i yelled F*CK!!!! so loud browny cudda heard me from the playing arena

hahaha. The F word makes me laugh sometimes. Can just picture the huge "F***CK!" Billy Birmingham uses it so well.

petetheileet said:
i live and breath the saints and my life will never be complete until the day i see them win the premiership, when it does happen i will be there and it will b one of the most joyous and relieving moments of my life,

Amen to that.