What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The future of the State of Origin

coach

Ben Ikin was talking in 2UE this morning giving his tips for this weekends round. The discusion got around to Sate of Origin and had an interesting thought on what should be done with the format.

Ikin feels that the appeal of Origin is limited to just two states. Outside of NSW and Qld who cares who wins the game. He belives we should be looking for more of an All-Star game where fans themselves pick the team. For example the teams could be regional teams, where players selected based on what club team they play for and not where they had played there first senior football.

One team could represent the Sydney club teams, while the other team represents the rest of Australia. The players to be selected would not just have to be Australians. You could also select Poms, Kiwis & Pacific Islanders.

A problem I see with the current SOO format is what happens to the young Victorian players the Storm are developing. Which state do they play for?

Now I don't know if Ikins idea would ever be looked at by the ARL. But it is an interesting idea to think about.

Yosh

Coach
F**k that!~ State of Origin till I die man... Who cares about the rest? They wont have half the passion NSW or QLD have, not that NSW have passion...

Lambretta

First Grade
A problem I see with the current SOO format is what happens to the young Victorian players the Storm are developing. Which state do they play for?

Well, Victoria used to be part of New South Wales, but was never a part of Queensland, so that's that question sorted!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
no no no no no

the reason stae of origin means something is because of the passion created by representing your state (well in most cases). it has meaning because of the way the cocnept was born.

an all star game would be an exhibition game, it wouldnt have the rivalry caused by decades of nsw claiming qld'ers as their 'own'

if the victorians ever get enough top class players from down there then there may be an opportunity for them to create a 3 way concept, as the vic players will no doubt be seen as inferior - thus creating an 'us against them' mentality which is what origin is built on

beave

Coach
Ikin is a t!t head, end of story. He is just dirty because he isn't going to be commentating live at the event anymore, thank f#$king chr!st for the rest of us, he is a mong of the highest order.

Mr Saab

Referee
Ikin is an after thought. If it was not for him Prince would be a Bronco...except the selfish hack decided to retire when it was too late.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
Stupid idea. It would be an exhibition game that no one would give two hoots about.

The strength of origin is the passion it generates. The sort of passion you can't manufacture.

hutch

First Grade
i think they should have wa v vic origin as a curtain raiser to nsw v qld. there are already players developed in wa playing in the nrl and its only a matter of time before we have victorian juniors in the nrl. while origin is one of our main drawcards, it also holds up back in terms of its limited appeal. no nrl during origin week, regardless of what night it is played, aus have our origins, nz have their 'kiwi roots' games which were talked about last year, pacific cup and euro cup in the north. the game needs to think bigger, and also give players the opportunity to fairly choose which country they wish to represent by having rep games for all countries.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ikin feels that the appeal of Origin is limited to just two states.
duh. Ingenious Ikin at it again.

who gives a rats arse? In 15 years there MIGHT be enough Victorians for a team. It will be decades, probably 40 years at leasat, before there are enough to pick a competetive Origin side.

NSW and QLD have been the worlds best Rugby League strongholds for decades. Its perfectly fitting that they should face off every year.

adamkungl

Immortal
he may be gone from ch9 commentary, but i have a feeling we're going to keep hearing his stupid comments.

Azkatro

First Grade
I have no problem with ideas that people have with regards to all star games and other sh*t like that. What I do have a problem with is why it has to have anything to do with State of Origin? The NRL works, City v Country kind of works, SOO works, if you want to try sh*t you have to add it on top and present it on its own merits, don't go f**king up existing stuff that is fine as it is.

League Legend

Juniors

Melbournes feeder club is on the central coast of NSW, therefore the young guys they bring through would play for NSW. Previously it was Norths in Brisbane. And no I'm not bringing the Inglis thing up
:BDH:

Patsy

Juniors
origin is fine although i thought the monday night game this week was better than origin 1 & 2.

if nsw picked the right side it would be a worthy contest like the old days

hellteam

First Grade
An "all-star" game just doesn't work very well. The NFL do it every year in Hawaii and it's more of an afterthought if anything. The players don't care, the fans don't care... leave Origin as it is!

hutch

First Grade
I have no problem with ideas that people have with regards to all star games and other sh*t like that. What I do have a problem with is why it has to have anything to do with State of Origin? The NRL works, City v Country kind of works, SOO works, if you want to try sh*t you have to add it on top and present it on its own merits, don't go f**king up existing stuff that is fine as it is.

city country doesnt work, its a joke. origin doesnt need to be messed with though, but we should be finding ways to have players from outside of nsw and qld to be able to also play rep games during this period. whether they be from vic, qa, nz, png, fiji, samoa, tonga, they should be playing tests and rep games while the aussies play state of origin.

Shorty

Staff member
It won't happen, what a ridiculous notion.
Yes, RL will get rid of the most well known rivalry in Australian sport for International tests against NZ who can't even string consistent wins together or GB who don't have any cattle that's not Aussie in their domestic comp...

Latest posts