What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The grapple is back!

LOL coming from a Dragons Supporter who one of there players was Penalised for the Grapple Tackle when down in Melbourne!!!!

I don't think you have the right to comment, matey

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If you think Melbourne's doing all this grapple tackle stuff, have a look at all the other games. Its not just Melbourne its other clubs as well.

Im not saying I support Melbourne with this grapple tackle, but theyre not the only one with it.

I dont see any point of it anyway, theyre on the ground tackled theyre not going anywhere.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Oops, looks like the Storm must have started to get a few people worried for the end of the season.

Everytime Storm play well this subject comes up and god it makes me feel good that so many up North are that concern about us they have to bring this up....time and time again.

There are really only two teams that bitch about this over and over again, Knights and Raiders.

If you watch their games (as others have said) you'll notice that they do it and more than what Storm do it.

If you think Melbourne's doing all this grapple tackle stuff, have a look at all the other games. Its not just Melbourne its other clubs as well.

Im not saying I support Melbourne with this grapple tackle, but theyre not the only one with it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good to see someone with a touch of reality and not just Melbourne bashing

Surandy

Bench
The Dragons do it quite a bit, as do the Bulldogs and I did notice the Knights doing it last night.

The one team that didn't seem to do it at all from what I've seen is the Rabbitohs. Maybe that's why they aren't winning? ;-)

~knights~

Juniors
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,9700004-23214,00.html

Fears over grapple tackle
By Paul Kent
May 31, 2004

NRL referees boss Robert Finch has admitted he fears for the safety of players after Melbourne's grapple tackle resurfaced at the weekend.

Finch forwarded three tackles to the game's match review panel yesterday morning in a move that is expected to become a litmus test for the NRL's intentions regarding the tackle's future - or non-future - in the game.

"I'm concerned about the tackles because they are dangerous," Finch said yesterday. "I get concerned that a player's welfare is going to be impacted on in the future."

No NRL player has ever been charged over a grapple tackle but NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley reminded that the judiciary had in the past been made aware of the tackle's presence and the need to police it.

"The judiciary have made some statements about the grapple tackle and the fact they are monitoring it," Annesley said.

The grapple tackle is so new there is even doubt as to what charge a player would face, whether it be a contrary conduct charge or even a reckless or intentional high tackle charge.

Concerns were raised on Saturday when Newcastle captain Danny Buderus approached referee Tony Archer twice in the first half of the Knights-Storm match to pass on complaints from his players.

Several Knights players were upset with the Melbourne players post-match after, they believed, having had their necks wrenched in tackles.

Finch watched the match yesterday before deciding to make his recommendations.

"I have passed them on to the judiciary, they will make a decision one way or the other," Finch said.

With the match review committee yet to charge anyone for a grapple tackle Finch would not comment on what action he expected to be taken over Saturday night's incidents.

"I don't want to talk for them," he said of the match review committee, a three-man panel comprising match review commissioner Greg McCallum, former NRL coach Peter Louis and former international Mark Harris.

Finch said Melbourne has made great strides to eliminate the tackle from their arsenal but said work needed to continue.

"We can both work together and try to eradicate it, but I would also ask that we need a bit of co-operation from the coaches to eradicate it from a team perspective as well," he said.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Somebody in the think-tank at the N.R.L. with balls needs to stand up and outlaw this tackle before there are serious health consequences for one of the players.

Pantherjim.

Campbell,P-4040201L.jpg

I agree... outlaw the tackle!! What pisses me though is that basically all teams do it, but Melbourne cop the brunt of it from the media. Watch last weeks origin game, and there were a number of so called 'grapple tackles' committed by NSW players, but you don't hear anything about those ones in the media, do you?
I have no problem getting rid of the tackle, but it has to be for all teams, not just us

Surandy

Bench
Steaming Stormer, I totally agree and to that point I've sent emails to the NRL, the Knights and the Storm.

I am sick of the coaches of other teams complaining about this grapple tackle which according to them is only employed by Melbourne Storm.

What I want is for someone to review the footage of all Round 12 games and hilight all the grapple tackles and then send those hilights to every NRL coach and the NRL themselves with a note attached saying "if you want to see footage of grapple tackles then just watch your own players".

Surandy

Bench
I had sent my thoughts to the NRL, the Knights and the Storm and here's what the Storm had to say in an email reply:

Your suggestion was an idea the Storm coaching staff had some time ago and as such they have been documenting the various examples of "grapple-tackles" from other teams.

As you quite rightly point out, if you break down every tackle of every match you will find tackles like this throughout. It seems to be an issue only when the Storm defeats a big NSW club, otherwise it's not an issue.

rooster69

Juniors
What you do hear , is the refs constantly warning STORM players to stay away from the head of opposing players, I havent heard this to often for other teams.

Surandy

Bench
rooster69 said:
What you do hear , is the refs constantly warning STORM players to stay away from the head of opposing players, I havent heard this to often for other teams.

So what you are saying is the ref's focus on the Storm players and let other teams get away with it?

Maybe the video hilights should be watched by the refs so they are aware of just how prevalent this is amongst most teams.

Dani

Immortal
everyone has pin-pionted storm, from now on, all we will hear is that only storm do it until someone in the media has the balls to stand up and show the evidence that other teams do it as well.
for some people ignorance really is bliss

Dani

Immortal
from nrl.com

“In reviewing a number of tackles over the weekend the committee had to concede that it appears the practice was occurring across a range of different games.

Latest posts