What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The refs are human

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I have noticed that people are demanding perfection from our referees. I personally think this is a tad unfair. Of course I yell at the ref when my team gets the short stick, but realistically the ref will make a couple of mistakes per game - they are human. No team goes through 80 mins without a mistake, in fact mistakes are stat of thier own, because they happen.

If your team is good enough, a refs mistake will not make a difference.

Am I being to nice? I just think that we make too much of the bad decisions.

legend

Coach
It seems the video ref is too scared to make a decision either way these days with two main incidents to come out of the last round.

Firday night Devere was robbed of a certain try and should have been awarded a penalty try yet the video ref came back with a 20 metre restart to the Bulldogs. It left me scratching my head.

And then we have yesterdays performance with the video ref unable to ajudicate on the Fletcher try. It was a crucial decision and the video ref put it in the too hard basket and let Harrigan decide. Regardless of the final oucome, the video ref had a much better view from multiple angles to make a decision but didn't have the balls.

I'm not sure what the solution is but I can't remember a time where the officials have made so many crucial mistakes.

Collateral

Coach
I was actually under the impression that Refs are not Human...infact they are from a planet where the inhabitants have very bad vision and memory lapses. They like making high pitched noises from "whistles" for no reason.

Video ref species often see things the wrong way around i.e. If its a try, push the red button.
8) <----MIB, thats me 8)
*FLASH*

El Diablo

Post Whore
legend, Slater was also disallowed what looked like a try in the Parra v Melbourne game.

groggo

Juniors
:D they are paid big money and are professionals so they need to be at least consistent in there calls .Would they still have a job in a normal place of work if they made this many mistakes i bet the answer would be NO

salivor

First Grade
I don't think we can accept mistakes from video referees. I'm still baffled by some of the decisions, you sometimes wonder if they're watching the same game as you are.

kaon

Juniors
It's certainly a high pressure job and every decision by one man is scrutinised by literally thousands of people. Who else has to work under those circumstances? Players? Guess what, they make plenty of mistakes.

What I’d like to see is that in cricket about 3 years ago; they commentators didn't really evaluate the umpire’s decision. What that did was bring the onus onto the players and that's where it should be.

Sharkette

Juniors
I can probably live with the ref on the field making the odd mistake, but when he throws it back to the video ref and the right call has not been made, then there is something drastically wrong.

gregstar

Referee
this is just a stupid f*cking thread angry! f*cking idiot! what the f*ck?!!!

the refs f*cked up! they suck!

how's that arsenallad?

taxidriver

Coach
the system is flawed.

we expect a middle aged bloke to keep pace with the premier athletes in the country, watching everything and getting all the calls right.

the game needs two refs on the field, one each side of the play the ball.

ozbash

Referee

like gridiron ?

Quidgybo

Bench
taxidriver said:
I agree but with one over the play the ball. The game is rife with crap in the play the ball and not helped by the players in the ruck not being able to hear the ref standing fifteen metres away. The main ref should move to over the play the ball with a second ref on the defensive line in normal play and dropping back to act as an in-goal judge when the defense is on the goal line.

Leigh.

Ridders

Coach
i do have to agree with a that referees are bound to make mistakes as i reckon that rugby league is easily the hardest game to referee as you are in constant motion most of the time. Rugby union is too slow, and without any 10m rule, refs can just stand still and observe play. While AFL is a more fast paced game they have 100's of officials on the field so that doesn't count. With soccer, the games much simpler so ref's don't have to look out for as many things as refs in league have to

Latest posts