What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The refs are human

2003 - They're sh*t.

2007 - They're sh*t.

Not much change there...

Seriously though, I can live with Refs making mistakes. What I have trouble with is video refs making fundamental errors. The benefit of the doubt rule is there for a reason you self-important twats (Yeah, you Harrigan), use it.

If there's doubt, give the benefit to the attacking side.

And don't over-analyse. Get on with it.

Mr Saab

Referee
Alot of fans blame the refs when their team loses, but og so casually glance over their own teams errors and defensive #@$% ups.

Quidgybo

Bench
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Seriously though, I can live with Refs making mistakes. What I have trouble with is video refs making fundamental errors. The benefit of the doubt rule is there for a reason you self-important twats (Yeah, you Harrigan), use it.

If there's doubt, give the benefit to the attacking side.
I think the benefit of the doubt rule itself is half the problem. Force the on field officials to take the responsibility and make a decision as they see it and only let the decision be over turned by the video if there is *no* doubt. That way there'd never be a borderline video ref decision, it'd either be clear cut or the on field decision stands, doubt and all.

Leigh.

Coaster

Bench
Why do we accept mistakes from referrees?

There human? so what, it doesnt change the fact that they make to many mistakes, and just seem to get away with it.

Who else has a job that they can constantly make mistakes, and still keep there job?

High pressure? What about surgeons or Pilots or race car drivers? Surely these are more high pressured than refs. Why dont these people get away with mistakes?

Im sick of hearing the excuse, "there human" these guys get paid massive amounts of money to do there job without mistakes.

It will only get better, when we say enough is enough, either do your job well, or get out.

Mistakes are not acceptable.

Mr Saab

Referee
curious said:
Mistakes are not acceptable.

Wow, can tell you have never refereed before.
If mistakes are not acceptable, then every player should be sacked...cause they make 100s throughout the yr.

Coaster

Bench
Mr Saab said:
Wow, can tell you have never refereed before.
If mistakes are not acceptable, then every player should be sacked...cause they make 100s throughout the yr.

Are you comparing a refferee and a player?

Does a referee have a 120kg forward smashing his head into the ground?

You might accept mediocrity, but i dont

Mr Saab

Referee
You want perfection...you are a dreamer.
As i said, they do stuff up from time to time, but it is easy for the fan to look at the replay 10 times and analyse what went wrong...the ref has less than a second to make a call.

Quidgybo

Bench
curious said:
Who else has a job that they can constantly make mistakes, and still keep there job?
Every single one of us. Whether it be a white collar worker sending an email to the wrong person, a mechanic over tighening a nut, or a stay at home parent burning dinner. Every one of us makes a hundred little mistakes hear and there every day. But most of us are fortunate not to have a million people breathing down our necks looking for them.

High pressure? What about surgeons or Pilots or race car drivers? Surely these are more high pressured than refs. Why dont these people get away with mistakes?
They do. Not every mistake is life threatening even for those in such crucial positions. Surgeons cut too far and have to use a few extra stitches, pilots make rough landings and race car drivers drop places through choosing a wrong gear. Every day. It's part of being human. Just like Referees.

Leigh.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Perfection? No.

But would it be too much to ask for some CONSISTENCY???

I don't think so.

And SOME of the video refs must be up there watching re-runs of Neighbours or something during games - because they sure as hell clearly ain't watching the same screens as the rest of us!

Ridders

Coach
yeh, while i can accept that refs will make mistakes here and there, to see a video-ref getting it wrong makes me both cry and laugh

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
curious said:

Who else has a job that they can constantly make mistakes, and still keep there job?​
uuummmm...how about players, seen the column called errors?

Knock ons, missed tackles etc etc

SO players can but refs cannot....I see.

Who gets paid more?

Quidgybo

Bench
Ridders said:
yeh, while i can accept that refs will make mistakes here and there, to see a video-ref getting it wrong makes me both cry and laugh
But how often do they seriously get it blatantly wrong? Just because a commentator draws attention to one aspect of a replay and raves about how in their opinion it must go one way or the other, doesn't make it so. Without hearing the full reasoning from the man making the decison we have no idea on exactly what doubts he is taking into account and what techincal details he is considering that are being totally glossed over in the television commentary. I'm not saying the video ref never makes mistakes, he is human like the rest of us. But as I've said elsewhere I think a lot of the issues come down to the benefit of the doubt rule. That makes anything close suddenly a matter of opinion. What is close but clear cut to one person (and so gets ruled one way) might appear to have some doubt, even a minute amount (and so get ruled a different way based on benefit of the doubt). In my opinion a better system would be to let the on field officials always make a call based on how they see it and only let it be overturned by the video if there is "irrefutable video evidence" then the decision is wrong. *Any* doubt and the onfield call stands.

Leigh.

Coaster

Bench
Quidgybo said:
But how often do they seriously get it blatantly wrong?

Leigh.

Mate i can think of a few in the last year alone.

• The first semi between Manly and Newcastle
  • 3rd SOO
  • Grand Final
  • World club challenge
Thats 4 of the biggest games of the year.

uuummmm...how about players, seen the column called errors?

Knock ons, missed tackles etc etc

SO players can but refs cannot....I see.

Who gets paid more?

Thats been answered.
Are you comparing a refferee and a player?

Does a referee have a 120kg forward smashing his head into the ground?

There is enough officials to stop making so many mistakes.

Do i expect perfection. No.
Do i expect better. You can bet your left nut i do.

badav

Bench
curious said:
Why do we accept mistakes from referrees?​

There human? so what, it doesnt change the fact that they make to many mistakes, and just seem to get away with it.​

Who else has a job that they can constantly make mistakes, and still keep there job?​

High pressure? What about surgeons or Pilots or race car drivers? Surely these are more high pressured than refs. Why dont these people get away with mistakes?​

Im sick of hearing the excuse, "there human" these guys get paid massive amounts of money to do there job without mistakes.​

It will only get better, when we say enough is enough, either do your job well, or get out.​

Mistakes are not acceptable.​

Have you ever tried officiating anything? Let alone something the pace of an NRL game. By the way you talk i would bet big money you would struggle to control a game of back yard cricket.

If you want to come out and blanketly say that mistakes will not be accepted then the fact is there will not be any referees anywhere because mistakes are a part of officiating any sport at any level. anyone with half a clue would know this already.

Referees do not get paid massive amounts of money anyway. I hardly think $150k (isnt that around what the TOP tier refs are on) is massive money. Its about %30 of a marquee players salary.

[furrycat]

Coach
badav said:
Have you ever tried officiating anything? Let alone something the pace of an NRL game. By the way you talk i would bet big money you would struggle to control a game of back yard cricket.

If you want to come out and blanketly say that mistakes will not be accepted then the fact is there will not be any referees anywhere because mistakes are a part of officiating any sport at any level. anyone with half a clue would know this already.

Referees do not get paid massive amounts of money anyway. I hardly think $150k (isnt that around what the TOP tier refs are on) is massive money. Its about %30 of a marquee players salary.

You're a defender of the weak aren't you, David?

You don't think 150K a year is much!??! :lol:

Frailty

First Grade
[furrycat] said:
You're a defender of the weak aren't you, David?

You don't think 150K a year is much!??! :lol:

I hardly think $150k (isnt that around what the TOP tier refs are on) is massive money. Its about %30 of a marquee players salary.

badav

Bench
[furrycat] said:
Refereeing requires a bit less talent than playing...

Referees are on the paddock 80 minutes and would have to be very fit. Not to mention that it is a full time job for the top tier ref's. Anyone who thinks refs are on and i quote "massive money" has absolutely no idea. especially someone who then goes and mentions race car drivers and surgeons, who would be earning multiple times 150k a year.

mxlegend99

Referee
Surgeons and Race Car drivers would probably work longer hours each week then a referee :p And i doubt the typical surgeon or race car driver would earn much more then 150k a year.

It's impossible for a referee to get every call correct. No doubt about it. But they get far too many calls wrong, and in close games this can decide which team wins. Grand Finals. State of Origin games. These games are between the best of the best and refereeing errors can definitely change the outcome of the game.

Video Refs especially should get it right 99% of the time. The have footage of the game, from multiple angles, slow motion etc. There are very few cases where they should be unable to make a decision that is correct.

I don't think we should fire them for a mistake, but they should definitely have some sort of consequence if they make a few mistakes per game and do so on a regular basis.

Coaster

Bench
badav said:
Referees are on the paddock 80 minutes and would have to be very fit. Not to mention that it is a full time job for the top tier ref's. Anyone who thinks refs are on and i quote "massive money" has absolutely no idea.

You dont think 80 min of work, for 26 weeks a year for 150k is massive money? Forget the fitness, thats there responsibility so they can have this job. I have no problem with them earning this amount, but they need to do the job correctly. This attitude of "there only human" doesnt cut it in the real world, so why are they working with different rules to the rest of us?

I understand people make mistakes, but these constant blunders cost teams and sponsers thousands of dollars every week, and Nobody is allowed to even critise them!

Latest posts