What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Gareth67

First Grade
I had him moderate in all facets. Harry Grant who outplayed him in all facets should be starting dummy half in the final.
No doubt Harry is the better of the 2 and a hell of lot younger , however my comments were based on Hunt’s performance on the night .

He made a couple of front on tackles on 2 of the Kiwis big men , one of which he left the ground to reach the player’s chest , no mean feat for a man of his size .

And of course he scored a try late the game in , all in all , not too bad a night .

Dragon David

First Grade
Zac Lomax would be happy to play 5/8th. To me he wouldn't be an ideal type for that role. He hasn't got a kicking game as such, he hasn't got the cut out pass in him. He needs to be able to make a decent break to set up the centres. His best position is centre and maybe fullback but even that would be questionable.

BLM01

First Grade
No doubt Harry is the better of the 2 and a hell of lot younger , however my comments were based on Hunt’s performance on the night .

He made a couple of front on tackles on 2 of the Kiwis big men , one of which he left the ground to reach the player’s chest , no mean feat for a man of his size .

And of course he scored a try late the game in , all in all , not too bad a night .
The problem with that Gazza he played for roughly 30-35? minutes and his first 20-25 minute stint was just feeding the ball and a couple of kicks
Yes notice some good hard tackles but got pushed off a few also

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Zac Lomax would be happy to play 5/8th. To me he wouldn't be an ideal type for that role. He hasn't got a kicking game as such, he hasn't got the cut out pass in him. He needs to be able to make a decent break to set up the centres. His best position is centre and maybe fullback but even that would be questionable.

Who says he doesn't have a kicking game? He hasn't had to do that as a centre, but it doesn't mean he can't. I like this idea, I reckon he'd go OK.

Victoire

Juniors
I remember a time when I had hopes of one day seeing a spine of 1. Ramsey/Sloan, 6. Amone, 7. Sullivan, 9. Hunt and the Dragons playing finals again. I also remember other clubs, including Bennett, chasing Bud and Amone and hearing that those two were given assurances about playing top grade and convinced to stick with us.
Right now I can't think of a single positive heading into 2024.

I hope Bud has a great year at the Tiges and hopefully stays fit.
The only signing we've made since giving the coach gig to Flanagan is his own son. Which at the time seemed an ok pickup - as a bench hooker perhaps. But now with the departure of Sullivan and Amone he's one of our starting halves? I'm at the point that I rue the fact we missed out on bringing Drew Hutchison back. Hutchison!

TheRev

First Grade
Lomax may well have a passing and kicking game.. but it hasn't been developed/tested at all.. and I don't mean this too sound mean (I know it sounds it) but he really struggled even changing sides as a centre.. something most players do in a heartbeat, the broncos centres even changed mid grandfinal.. and Zac had 6 months to do it.. he just couldn't undo the muscle memory... struggled in attack and defence.

So he may well have a longterm desire to be a 5/8, but that ship may have well sailed.. it seem unlikely anyway.. even fullback I think will be a stretch mentally for Zac, I feel like the game needs to be kept really simple for him, and then he executes well.. but you often see 1 bad decision and it really gets in his head and he gets stuck.

rasaint

Juniors
I’m on record as not being in the Zac Lomax society. In fact to avoid being annoying some forum members, I simply stopped posting any comment about him.

That acknowledged, I would be ok with him taking on the 5/8 role, if Amone is sentenced / and or leaves the club for whatever reason. Zac is probably our best goal kicker and 5/8 doesn’t necessarily require a ‘ dashing’ player ( mind you the top sides like Panthers, Broncos, Easts, Melbourne all process fast 5/8s). Newcastle played into the finals with Tyson Gamble at 5/8, similar build and speed to Zac. Also, gives a year older Tamale and Finau their chances.

since77

Juniors

RedVee_8

Juniors

Brings to mind the “Gasnier to 5/8th” move.
How long did that last? 1 game? 2?

Gareth67

First Grade
The problem with that Gazza he played for roughly 30-35? minutes and his first 20-25 minute stint was just feeding the ball and a couple of kicks
Yes notice some good hard tackles but got pushed off a few also
Please do not bring cold hard facts into the equation buddy , as I am easily confused .

But going by what you have said , then I can only suggest that if they had left him on for the entire game , he more than likely would had scored more tries ! ☺️

Mojo

Bench
I don't think either guy has a problem with the Dragons on a personal level, I think this is just Industry gossip. I was a travelling salesman for many years and you get to learn a lot about your competitors, the customers and other operators in the industry, for example which companies are well managed or not and which look after their customers or not. You learn a lot about the products as well. I've also worked for companies that are so poorly run you're planning your next job after just a few months. It's obvious our reputation is affecting our recruitment, retention and Sponsorship for that matter.
In my experience almost all organisations take-on the personality of the person at the top. Cultural change has to start at the top. That’s why it’s usually so difficult but sometimes it can also be rapid and dramatic. Usually the later requires the Chair and / or the CEO to go - and preferably a total shake-up of the Board. Then, usually, there’s an oppressed management group that know exactly what’s required.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Lomax may well have a passing and kicking game.. but it hasn't been developed/tested at all.. and I don't mean this too sound mean (I know it sounds it) but he really struggled even changing sides as a centre.. something most players do in a heartbeat, the broncos centres even changed mid grandfinal.. and Zac had 6 months to do it.. he just couldn't undo the muscle memory... struggled in attack and defence.

So he may well have a longterm desire to be a 5/8, but that ship may have well sailed.. it seem unlikely anyway.. even fullback I think will be a stretch mentally for Zac, I feel like the game needs to be kept really simple for him, and then he executes well.. but you often see 1 bad decision and it really gets in his head and he gets stuck.
I really feel that each position should be filled by experts for those positions - those who have been there and done it and done it well. We have no room to test guys in positions where they 'might' be alright.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yes many of his Dragon teammates are not quite up to scratch , let’s hope that Flanagan is able to strengthen his squad with a number of quality signings that will at the very least assist Hunt’s game .
Don't know how much to attach to this Gaz but a caller rang Talkin Sport (2SM) today (Mon 30/10) claiming to be a well connected Dragons tragic. Said that there will be four new signings announced on or soon after 1 November- hopefully he meant this year!

As the old saying goes-time will tell.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Don't know how much to attach to this Gaz but a caller rang Talkin Sport (2SM) today (Mon 30/10) claiming to be a well connected Dragons tragic. Said that there will be four new signings announced on or soon after 1 November- hopefully he meant this year!

As the old saying goes-time will tell.
Surely Rangi Chase can’t still be available….. 🤔🤞

Rod Coil

Juniors
I caught up with an old mate yesterday and had a long chat about the Dragons. This guy played in the juniors for the Dragons many, many moons ago and he's a tragic like us. He never made 1st grade but played country footy well into his late 30's and knows everyone. He was telling me about a mate of his who has been involved in junior development and recruitment for many clubs all over NSW for over 20 years. This mate of his told him that many juniors who sign with us do so only as a stepping stone in the hope of being spotted and poached by a better club and they do this because Dragons have a reputation of being so poorly run and administered for so long that it's only a foot in the door for them, nothing more, they don't want to stay if there's a chance to do better. Dragons Juniors are often mistreated, overlooked, given little opportunity or support and it's "who you know, not how well you play" at Saints. Plus the Club bosses and backers are on the nose with everyone.
He said anyone who stood out was immediately poached by other clubs, Souths, Cronulla, Canberra and I think he also said Penrith in particular but a lot of clubs keep a close eye on us as it's easy to get our young fellas to walk.
That's why we end up with players like the Feagais as the next big thing when they're so obviously well below the standard of their peers at other clubs. On the other hand you get a player like Sullivan who really wants to be a Dragon told to look elsewhere.
Depressing I know but it tells a story we already know and emphasizes that putting all your faith in a new coach or a couple of new players is ultimately pointless without change higher up and a radical culture shift, and also that putting too much blame on those same coaches and players is also a bit pointless and unfair - although I will say that there's some obvious cliquey behaviour and favouritism from said coaches and players at times which you can also blame on management for allowing (and likely colluding in) such behaviour.
Yep, that entire sad story is spot on. Countless not so well known stories back it up. Doust, Young & the rest of the Board all know it but are too busy keeping their noses in the trough. Complete Board clean-out required but will never happen.

TheRev

First Grade

Re:above - straight from the horses mouth

"SG Ball came and I tried out for Dogs, Dragons and Roosters and Dogs said they didn’t want me and I made Dragons. I just wanted to be out of my comfort zone. I knew Dragons weren’t actually a strong team, so I knew if I go to Dragons… I could stand out.
I can't read it either, the URL has Jacob Kiraz's name? Just checked, he recently extended with the dogs.