What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Witcher 3

I've been following this game since it was announced and have played the second one many times and it looks phenomenal. It's getting some very favourable reviews, it's definitely the front runner for GOTY.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Figures that it comes out right before I go abroad for six weeks and won't be able to play it >_<

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Easily my most anticipated game this year. Looks incredible.

My fiance will hate me within a couple of weeks.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Same here.

looks good but to bad it got a downgrade (console) compared to earlier video's.

Not sure how this label gets thrown around so easily. A scripted in engine trailer for 2013 is obviously going to look different to a 2015 gameplay video. The art direction has changed massively (original was dark and grungy, new version is saturated and vibrant), both look amazing given the sheer scale of the game.

It's certainly nothing like the Watch Dogs situation, just relatively minor differences here and there.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Played about 30-45 minutes of it this afternoon. Looks pretty amazing, but my PC isn't quite up to the task of running it at the standard I'd like.

Will be my reward to myself once I finish this exam coming on Thursday.

Parra Pride

Coach
I've only played up to killing the griffin, but the game hasn't really grabbed me yet like most games I really enjoy do. Still a long way to go for that to change though.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I've only played up to killing the griffin, but the game hasn't really grabbed me yet like most games I really enjoy do. Still a long way to go for that to change though.

Same with me at that point. Playing on default difficulty there wasn't much of a challenge and main quest dialog wasn't exactly exciting. The combat starts to get pretty challenging beyond that, and potting around doing side quests adds so much more to the experience over other RPGs.

Most disappointing thing at the moment, is that it seems gwent is unplayable on PS4 (crashes every time I play it) and there are plenty of rewards for playing it. Frame rate is also choppy during cut scenes, and my god the swimming sucks. Apart from that, really starting to enjoy my experience with the game. Not as engrossing as I was expecting, yet.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It definitely suffers from the Elder Scrolls dilemma of being an open world game. The central plot isn't terribly compelling, so/because you explore the broader world instead.

I just had my meeting with the emperor, but I think I'll go back and continue exploring White Orchid now.

redvscotty

First Grade
Still tossing up whether to get this on Xbone or PC. Leaning towards Xbone at this stage.

Any recommendations? I've heard this is a pretty controller friendly game?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Still tossing up whether to get this on Xbone or PC. Leaning towards Xbone at this stage.

Depends on your PC, xbox version has a lot of frame rate issues and weird graphical glitches at the moment (ie poles randomly coming out of geralts head etc.). If you've got a PC with a gtx 780 or above, you're probably better off getting it there at this point (it's also 20% cheaper on PC). Doesn't really matter which platform though, they're all pretty similar, xbox just runs at 900p and has an unfixed frame rate with no double buffering so it floats anywhere between 20fps and 35fps all the time.

It was definitely designed with controller in mind though, unlike the previous ones.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Same with me at that point. Playing on default difficulty there wasn't much of a challenge and main quest dialog wasn't exactly exciting. The combat starts to get pretty challenging beyond that, and potting around doing side quests adds so much more to the experience over other RPGs.

Most disappointing thing at the moment, is that it seems gwent is unplayable on PS4 (crashes every time I play it) and there are plenty of rewards for playing it. Frame rate is also choppy during cut scenes, and my god the swimming sucks. Apart from that, really starting to enjoy my experience with the game. Not as engrossing as I was expecting, yet.

I have it on PS4, and have no frame rate issues or issues playing gwent...which is heaps of fun.

I love this game. It is epic.

Tweek

Juniors

Ive got it on xbox one and have had zero issues with it.

in saying that if you have a good PC always go for that, these days every game is pretty much better on PC. as long as you have one good enough to run it.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ive got it on xbox one and have had zero issues with it.

in saying that if you have a good PC always go for that, these days every game is pretty much better on PC. as long as you have one good enough to run it.

I'm running it on low settings at the moment and it still looks gorgeous. Looking forward to getting back to China, buying a top of the line video card, and f**king going for it.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't love The Witcher franchise's gameplay in the way I enjoy the Elder Scrolls style of play, but it's visually quite stunning. The world feels alive, much like Skyrim does once you've modded it to compensate for the fact it was designed for lower end machines.