What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This new stadium for Sydney better not be multi-purpose

Brutus

Referee
GWS can have a brand-new stadium when they can prove they need it. Skoda Stadium isn't exactly full to the brim with fans now, so why would a new stadium do the trick?

They don't need a brand new stadium even if they do need it.

Skoda then ANZ Stadium. No need for anything else.

In reality, they should be playing all their games at Blacktown. That's perfect for the crowds they get.

Swarzey

Bench
I personally would love to see a multi-purpose stadium but not one that accommodates GWS. They got the waste of a stadium called Skoda when they came in and that's all they need. A simple stadium with a retractable roof to accommodate indoor events in between NRL and A-League matches throughout the year.

Probably need more of a AAMI park than a Suncorp.

The couple of games a year that draw more than 30k can go to ANZ easily enough.

Terrible idea.

We need to future plan.

Plus I'm a strong believer that if you build a high quality venue you will naturally attract more fans.

The Great Dane

First Grade
GWS & AFL have conned everyone!

Not only the NSW Government and local councils, don't forget the ACT Government has given GWS $23 million over 10 years to play 4 games per year in Canberra, Manuka Oval.

They are on the nose as much in Canberra as they are in the western suburnbs of Sydney.

I agree with other posters the ARLC & FFA should simply not entertain the prospect of a supporting a multi-purpose stadium. We have seen what a disaster that is at ANZ for watching RL.

Sydney is a RL city, reagrdless of what others try and tell you. Melbourne is an Aussie Rules city. The Vic government would not for one moment contemplate building another rectangular stadium in Melbourne. The NSW government should not contemplate building another AFL ground in Sydney. Afterall GWS already has 3 venues in Homebush & Blacktown.

You can thank f##king Andrew Barr for that.

Barrstard went to my cousins coffee shop a couple of weeks ago and one of his barista's spat in his coffee. Unfortunately my cousin had to fire him because he "can not allow that sort of behavior in his store", but he did get him a job a the coffee store around the corner and told me he was tempted to spit in Barrstards coffee to.

Barrstard is hated for the way he has treated sport in Canberra, that is the future that the NSW government can look forward to if they do the same and bend over to all of the AFL's whims and allow them f##k the community up the arse whenever they want.

Coincidentally we are having this same problem in Canberra with our proposed new Stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No one still has answered why billion dollar sports industries need govt handouts ?

Govt should not give 1 cent.....when players are on millions of dollars...

How about museums, galleries, parks, race tracks, golf courses etc etc?
. professional stadiums can actually make the govt money if designed and run right and in the right location (and not just handed to the governing body like the $1.2bill Perth stadium will be to the wafl!)

I'd rather see a decent stadium for tens of thousands to enjoy than 4 new fighter jets!

roarr

Juniors
Rather than believing TK's piece of shit rumours, I'd like to see some sort of joint committee established between the ARLC, FFA and ARU. Do some due diligence to find the best spot for the stadium, best size and work out some management and ownership rights. Lets get this thing right, and we really could be looking at 20-25k averages in 10 years.

In a perfect world we wouldnt need the soccer or rugby help, but lets face it, three lobbyists have more power than one and all three sports want the exact same style of stadium (i.e. close to action, 30-40k, plush corporate facilities). Im sure with non-geniuss running the game (greenberg, smith etc) we should be able to get it right.

Another thing in our favour is Gallop running the FFA. He'll somehow f**k everything up for them and make sure thye end up with a shit deal.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm hoping the lights and renovations at Manuka have put to bed the idea of a new Canberra Stadium being multipurpose.

30,000 in Civic would be ideal for us and the Brumbies.

It really shits me how much the ACT Government is fawning over the Giants whilst ignoring both the Raiders and the Brumbies who are local teams who contribute to the community.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I'm hoping the lights and renovations at Manuka have put to bed the idea of a new Canberra Stadium being multipurpose.

30,000 in Civic would be ideal for us and the Brumbies.

It really shits me how much the ACT Government is fawning over the Giants whilst ignoring both the Raiders and the Brumbies who are local teams who contribute to the community.

Have you written to your local members?

Heisenberg

Juniors
Surely Canberra Stadium is not going to turned into a multi-purpose one

30,000 in Civic would be ideal for us and the Brumbies..

citytothelake.com.au

In the facilities section on the home page it is mentioned there. Will be awesome.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
AFL is not the only game played on an oval shaped ground

Dont forget cricket, and with it comes cricket pitches out in the middle

For the numbers that would watch a cricket match you already have ANZ, Skoda, Blacktown etc. Most cricket matches get a few hundred fans at best. For the Australian games that attract thousands then you can use ANZ.

No need for yet another stadium for a twice a year event

Lambretta

First Grade
You can thank f##king Andrew Barr for that.

Barrstard went to my cousins coffee shop a couple of weeks ago and one of his barista's spat in his coffee. Unfortunately my cousin had to fire him because he "can not allow that sort of behavior in his store", but he did get him a job a the coffee store around the corner and told me he was tempted to spit in Barrstards coffee to.

Barrstard is hated for the way he has treated sport in Canberra, that is the future that the NSW government can look forward to if they do the same and bend over to all of the AFL's whims and allow them f##k the community up the arse whenever they want.

Coincidentally we are having this same problem in Canberra with our proposed new Stadium.

No need to spit in his coffee - merely make a very public event of refusing him service and tell him in no uncertain terms why.

Every store owner reserves the right to refuse someone service and to tell them why.

bobmar28

Bench
The stadium I'm describing would be in Liverpool.

In terms of my preference , my only two thoughts are is it needs to be smack bang next to a major rail line.

And it needs to be central enough for at least 3 NRL teams to play there.

Woodward park is about 500m west of Liverpool station and 1k north of the m5.

Lambretta

First Grade
Woodward park is about 500m west of Liverpool station and 1k north of the m5.

The SFS is 2kms from Central and you'd think it was 20k's the way people piss and moan about how hard it is to walk there.

Are you sure that they can't pick the park up and move it another 499 metres closer to the railway line to save people's legs the effort of moving more than three times in a day?

Last edited:

Abz

Juniors
Can I just say, why exactly do we need this stadium?

Wests Tigers - Playing their home games at Campbelltown pretty much means they are playing their games at their home ground and as far as I'm concerned, Liverpool is not what they need. They already train at Concord and split their home games between Campbelltown, Leichhardt and Allianz, they don't need a 5th ground.

Parramatta Eels - They are in Sydneys WEST, not SOUTH WEST.

Penrith Panthers - They are in Sydneys GREATER WEST - not SOUTH WEST.

Canterbury Bulldogs - We simply will not play games at Liverpool after the 2002 Oasis shemozzle, and if the board members value their jobs, such a thing will never even hit the agenda, otherwise they'll be outed at the AGM.

Latest posts